Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Control Room

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
hardax
Waste Technician

Default Best large scale Thunderbird 2 (obtainable)

Hey all. Brand new to the forum.

Doing some research on getting the most accurate Thunderbird 2 for display purposes. The bigger the better!

I know there are lots of scratch built versions that fit the bill perfectly but I am looking for something that I can actually get my hands on now.

Aoshima 1/200 seems nice but a bit small.

I'd be willing to spring for the Takara but I hate that fact that the landing gears hang off the thing when in "flight mode".

Kaiyodo's (if I could get one - seems sold out as a pre order everywhere) seems to be universally disliked due to the shape although the size is exactly what I'm looking for.

Anything I might be missing?

Thanks for any help.
hardax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
hardax
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardax View Post

Doing some research on getting the most accurate Thunderbird 2 for display purposes. The bigger the better!

I know there are lots of scratch built versions that fit the bill perfectly but I am looking for something that I can actually get my hands on now.

I'd be willing to spring for the Takara but I hate that fact that the landing gears hang off the thing when in "flight mode".

Kaiyodo's (if I could get one - seems sold out as a pre order everywhere) seems to be universally disliked due to the shape although the size is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help.
Me again. Have the opportunity to get the IR studio scale mint in box for $500 US. Knowing the inaccuracies is this something I would want to consider for the price? Didn't it originally go for over $1000 US?
Old 20-07-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Just noticed on eBay there is a 1:144 Imai Thunderbird 2 up for sale for a reasonable price:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thunderbir...item1a02e74dad

This is the kit I've just completed over here: http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...d.php?t=160663

Its 21" long, is a pretty good shape, has brass legs, removable pod (I scratch built an interior) but is made from this really difficult to work with material, a very dense expanded polystyrene.
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #4
hardax
Waste Technician

Quote:
This is the kit I've just completed over here: http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...d.php?t=160663

Its 21" long, is a pretty good shape, has brass legs, removable pod (I scratch built an interior) but is made from this really difficult to work with material, a very dense expanded polystyrene.
Yeah I saw that in my searching but unfortunately I don't have the time nor skill to assemble something like that. I am stuck searching for something ready made I'm afraid. Thanks for the pointer though.
Old 21-07-2015, 02:53 AM   #5
Nektu
Life Support Technician

Is Ben Ten selling a kit of his beautiful TB2 yet, or just as a finished model?
Worth a look, in my opinion. K
Nektu is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #6
hardax
Waste Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nektu View Post
Is Ben Ten selling a kit of his beautiful TB2 yet, or just as a finished model?
Worth a look, in my opinion. K
Is there a thread that you can point me to for the Ben Ten's build? I don't see him as a member here. If someone is selling a custom build thats finished I would definitely be interested. Reading the old posts here I don't ever remember seeing anyone selling one.

Thanks
Old 21-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
hardax
Waste Technician

Quote:
Is there a thread that you can point me to for the Ben Ten's build? I don't see him as a member here. If someone is selling a custom build thats finished I would definitely be interested. Reading the old posts here I don't ever remember seeing anyone selling one.

Thanks
Never mind. A little searching and I found him! Thanks again for the pointer.
Old 22-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #8
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default This 'Birdie Takes The Cake!

A lot of different iterations of TB2 presently underway here on ETF! But this is a 'Birdie of a whole 'nother feather (and a rather clever idea)...perhaps some of you over there might have the chance to see it up close, and report back to the rest of us?

http://www.gerryanderson.co.uk/the-y...rbird-2-is-go/
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #9
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Staggering.....

The ingenuity and enthusiasm of some people never ceases to amaze me.....

How on earth did he manage to get the shape so accurate??

Magnificent - thanks for digging up this recent crop of Thunderbirdsmania.

Kindest regards

Pat
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default A-Maize-ing!

Props where due, to the GA website folks, for getting the word out - think some others likely did the actual digging...

(We'll never look at crops circles quite the same way again, that's for sure...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
The ingenuity and enthusiasm of some people never ceases to amaze me.....

How on earth did he manage to get the shape so accurate??

Magnificent - thanks for digging up this recent crop of Thunderbirdsmania.

Kindest regards

Pat
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #11
forza27
Eagle Pilot

Just seen some pics on facebook, bensmodelworld looks to be kitting his magnificent TB2 at a guess.

Now that will be huge and fantastic if it happens.
forza27 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 12:18 AM   #12
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Well I never thought I'd say converting a toy was a good idea but certainly in this thread it's looking pretty good so far....

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...d.php?t=160758
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #13
KazzyLady

Hi Hardax

My spatial awareness isnt great so I dont know the scale of the models I have, they're pretty big.

The TB2 is about a metre long and in a massive glass case
The TB3 is half my height

I dont know who made them, sorry as they were my late husbands and I now keep his models in storage.

Quote:

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by KazzyLady; 17-08-2015 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Spell errors
  Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
Thunderbird 2.2
Alphan

Quote:
Yeah I saw that in my searching but unfortunately I don't have the time nor skill to assemble something like that. I am stuck searching for something ready made I'm afraid. Thanks for the pointer though.
I have posted elsewhere, requesting advice in renovating my IMAI Thunderbird 2 Hardax, it was not as hard to originally build as you might think! The painting was the most tie consuming thing. I had no access to spray paints in those days. - Otherwise, an older Supersize Thunderbird 2 would be the best bet I suppose?
Thunderbird 2.2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 06:42 AM   #15
cratercritter
Geological Technician

Quote:

Thanks for any help.
The IMAI 'super big model' is 1:144 scale at 528mm long and as you might have gathered so far from the other posters, it is a model that requires a lot of work and not for the faint hearted. I built one of those in 2005..many months of work and it came out not too bad. The TAKARA big model 'toy' is basically the same size as the BIG IMAI KIT at 1:144 scale and it also is 528mm long. Nice model and shape. if you are concerned about the landing gear sticking out when retracted...NOT a problem. Cut them off and insert a pin and rare earth magnets so that the landing pads are removeable and reinserted when needed. (Easy job I reckon). Ben Ten Westenend's big model would be cool to get in kit form though.
cratercritter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote