Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 23-07-2015, 12:16 AM   #1
Supermodelnation
Alphan

Default Thunderbirds- 50 Years: My Tribute

Okay so I'm what you would call the new guy. My name is Ike.

I have seen some amazing work on this site. I recall reviewing content here as a guest over two years ago. I came across two threads. one from Modernfred showing his Tracy Island model (and those on his Flickr page). You're a legend man! And another thread which I can't recall now but it talked about making a Tracy Island dio but never seemed to materialise.

I felt inspired by these and thought I'd have a go at that. So I did. It makes sense to share this with you now on the 50th Anniversary.

I started on 18th May 2013 with the original 1960s Thunderbirds Tracy Island build. It took just over 2 years to complete. Using cheap household materials, odds and sods with Graham Bleathman pictures of Tracy Island as a rough guide

I soon found an even better version by Graham but with more clarity and detail

I remember thinking, "Ah...that is how the island is laid out" I tried to keep to the original layout but improvised in places where necessary. In fact, the two pictures are quite different in parts anyway to justify a good degree of artistic licence. I will present these as short video clips. This first part starts with the Tracy Island Villa. Here's a still shot in its 1960s Black & White glory

Enjoy Part 1:

PART 1- THE TRACY ISLAND VILLA:

The second part focusses on Thunderbird 1

There is much we never see in the original series/movies- the TB1 hangar bay under the Villa for instance- so I generously employ artistic licence as required.
The idea of the elevated Pad I observed in the 1966 Thunderbirds Are Go movie. Blink and you'd miss it.

Whilst not claiming to be an exact replica model of the Master I tried to capture the essence and sprit of the Island

Enjoy Part 2:

PART 2- THUNDERBIRD 1 HANGAR & LAUNCH BAY

More sections to follow shortly

Last edited by Supermodelnation; 23-07-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Supermodelnation is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 01:51 AM   #2
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default We Like, Ike!

First of all:

Wonderful images, and already looking forward to more!

, , , , ....!
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
dwomby
Geological Technician

Great work! What scale is that?

David
dwomby is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 02:01 AM   #4
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default What Lies Below...

It would be interesting to see a Bird-by-Bird interpretation; that is, following each one, individually, "through" the island, from go-time to air-time. Perhaps this has been done somewhere, by someone?
Old 16-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
Supermodelnation
Alphan

Thanks for the great comments and feedback guys. Greatly appreciated. I am preparing the next part which will display Thunderbird 2- Pod bay and Launch bay. It should be ready for the 30th September to coincide with the anniversary date. Hope it is enjoyed.

As for scale the models in the main are 1:700 but if I maintained that scale throughout the island details like the mansion would have simply been too small to appreciate so in true Anderson style for some areas I altered the scale and forced perspectives where required. Visually I think it works. Watch out for the 30th!

Old 17-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Great model and super well put together montage - original (and music) is best, look forward to Big Green Machine !
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 03:41 AM   #7
Supermodelnation
Alphan

Default Happy Thunderbird Day!!!

50 years to the day today when our wonderful and much loved Thunderbirds creation hit our TV screens back in 1965. I promised to bring you Part 3 of my humble tribute to this wonderful Anderson creation .

This Part presents Thunderbird 2 (which happens to be my favourite) and the rarely sighted Pod bay area together with the familiar launch bay area and runway. We never got to see different angles in the show and I hope this view gives some of those different views from my perspective

It does take time to to arrange scenes and put it all together but I hope to finish the series by the year end! Please enjoy watching on this fantastic day.

A few stills to tease the curious! But do also click the Video below for the full experience.

Feel free to view the earlier parts previously posted.

Happy 'Thunderbirds' Day!

PART 3- THUNDERBIRD 2: LAUNCH
Old 30-09-2015, 04:16 AM   #8
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Time Has Come, Today!

Simply a wonderful tribute, for a very special day!

, , , , ....50!

And the dance goes on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodelnation View Post
50 years to the day today when our wonderful and much loved Thunderbirds creation hit our TV screens back in 1965. I promised to bring you Part 3 of my humble tribute to this wonderful Anderson creation .

This Part presents Thunderbird 2 (which happens to be my favourite) and the rarely sighted Pod bay area together with the familiar launch bay area and runway. We never got to see different angles in the show and I hope this view gives some of those different views from my perspective

It does take time to to arrange scenes and put it all together but I hope to finish the series by the year end! Please enjoy watching on this fantastic day.

A few stills to tease the curious! But do also click the Video below for the full experience.

Feel free to view the earlier parts previously posted.

Happy 'Thunderbirds' Day!

PART 3- THUNDERBIRD 2: LAUNCH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEsOcu6AkS4
Old 04-10-2015, 03:45 AM   #9
techno
Astrophysics Technician

This is Superb Work! Sure You didn't Work for Derek Meddings? this is Top Notch Work that Deserves to be SEEN! Keep up the Superb Work! Dan
techno is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #10
Supermodelnation
Alphan

As the 50th year draws to a close so does my tribute post. But not without honouring that big Orange space workhorse- Thunderbird 3.

Here I focus mainly on TB3 but there are also a few other island locations we rarely, if ever, get to see. Due to limited time and resources, I generously improvise using creative licence for this one even within the TB3 hangar so begging your pardon in advance with regards to some of the detailing. However, as has been the main objective throughout this post, I am hoping, as ever, that the essence and spirit of the island is captured and appreciated.

The final instalment will be published in two weeks just before Christmas so do please keep an eye out.

PART 4- THUNDERBIRD 3: HANGAR & ROUND HOUSE

Old 08-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #11
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Well done - great effort and patience for the set ups
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #12
Supermodelnation
Alphan

Appreciate the comment Red. The final part will be released as a Christmas special and promises not to disappoint so do watch out for it. I have enjoyed creating it as much as sharing
Old 24-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #13
Supermodelnation
Alphan

I promised you guys a Christmas special final instalment as on the eve of Christmas eve of this amazing 50th year what better way to end this tribute with this grand finale.

I hope the contribution was able to evoke positive thoughts and a small slice of nostalgia among the original 60s fans. I hope to pick up with something new in months to come. Please enjoy my now familiar Supermodelnation style of presentation. Thanks for watching and Merry Christmas!

Enjoy the couple of stills and the final video below

PART 4 THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO FAB FINALE:

Last edited by Supermodelnation; 24-12-2015 at 11:53 PM.