Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum


Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Launch Crater

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician
 
sbryantgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 51
Default my attempt so far at TB2

from this



to this



sbryantgb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
Glazy
Medical Technician
 
Glazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 184
Default

Well so far it looks good !!!
Glazy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ware, Hertfordshire
Posts: 642
Default

That is an amazing transformation. Fabulous work.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 04:11 PM   #4
dwomby
Geological Technician
 
dwomby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 111
Default

What did you do exactly to the nose and cockpit areas, please?

David
dwomby is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician
 
sbryantgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glazy View Post
Well so far it looks good !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by badsimmonds View Post
That is an amazing transformation. Fabulous work.
Thank you both

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwomby View Post
What did you do exactly to the nose and cockpit areas, please?

David
All I have done so far is reduce the window size, some shaping is still needed around the windows. The nose from this angle looks dam near perfect, so no work was needed. But from a lower angle you can still see to much of a chin. So will probably move the top section further forward maybe 2mm and try to blend it better with the lower section. It will never be a an exact replica though.
sbryantgb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 25-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #6
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician
 
sbryantgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 51
Default

you can see the chin when viewed from this angle,



I think by drawing the nose forward I can effect a better shape, but major surgery wold be required to get it exact. And since this was a first attempt at model making I think I will leave that to a second version.
sbryantgb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer
 
pfleming@jbt.co.uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 10 miles North of Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,026
Default Now this, I like.....

This is just great. Cannot wait to see how you finish up with this - matters not a jot how accurate she is, she'll look wonderful. What was the base model / toy please? I have a couple of the 90s talking TB2s with the sprung loaded legs, both in good nick, and your project's providing plenty of food for thought.

Please keep us updated with your progress - that nice Mr badsimmonds is currently upgrading a Hasbro Millenium Falcon, so customising standard issue models and toys is very much in vogue.

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician
 
sbryantgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 51
Default

Thank you Patrick, this was stamped underneath with Matchbox 1990 and is the 14" plastic talking TB2 with the sprung loaded legs (now removed since this will be plinth mounted in a climb somewhat close to launch angle).

Hopefully completed within the next 14 days, will keep up on progress reports though

Steve
sbryantgb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #9
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer
 
boatshewsd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States (California)
Posts: 1,761
Default Seeing Is Believing...

Not hard to see what inspired your choice of avatar... Nice work!

(Still something to be said for that two-tone look, though...)
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician
 
sbryantgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 View Post
Not hard to see what inspired your choice of avatar... Nice work!
Ah the new Thunderbird 2, gave me goose bumps when she emerged from the clouds for the first time on the new series. A spectacular update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 View Post
(Still something to be said for that two-tone look, though...)
I seriously can't wait to get rid of the grey primer.
sbryantgb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #11
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer
 
boatshewsd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States (California)
Posts: 1,761
Default

Your point taken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbryantgb View Post
Ah the new Thunderbird 2, gave me goose bumps when she emerged from the clouds for the first time on the new series. A spectacular update.



I seriously can't wait to get rid of the grey primer.
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #12
dwomby
Geological Technician
 
dwomby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbryantgb View Post
>
>
since this was a first attempt at model making I think I will leave that to a second version.
Wow. I wouldn't have guessed you were new to this. Great work.

David
dwomby is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #13
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician
 
sbryantgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 51
Default

kind of jumped the gun here since there is still a lot of filling and shaping to do, but had to see how she looked in the green I picked out.







as always thanks for looking
sbryantgb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #14
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer
 
boatshewsd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States (California)
Posts: 1,761
Default Put Me In, Coach...

...I'm ready to play - TODAY!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by sbryantgb View Post
kind of jumped the gun here since there is still a lot of filling and shaping to do, but had to see how she looked in the green I picked out.







as always thanks for looking
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #15
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer
 
pfleming@jbt.co.uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 10 miles North of Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,026
Default Transformed......

.....and how. What a great paint job, great yellow trim and weathering already. This really shows what can be done with a standard toy or model, and it's a real springboard for those of us looking on who'd like to attempt a similar project. How did you reduce the front viewport sizes: did you work from the inside out, or did you apply filler on the outer hull and then shape it?

I looked out my spare TB2 - no Matchbox stamp, rather a Carlton Entertainment stamp - and the lift up nose reveals three tiny seats and a cabin for micro-figures. My TB2 is a darker colour of plastic than the one on which you're currently working.

Anyway, back to your beautiful handiwork - most impressive and, as Boatie's already pointed out, ready for an emergency launch!

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #16
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ware, Hertfordshire
Posts: 642
Default

It looks stunning absolutely stunning. What colour did you choose in the end?
I used to have one of these toys but sold it as I needed some money now I wish I hadn't as your superb work has made me think about attempting this.
Great work.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 01:02 PM   #17
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot
 
Dorzac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
I looked out my spare TB2 - no Matchbox stamp, rather a Carlton Entertainment stamp - and the lift up nose reveals three tiny seats and a cabin for micro-figures. My TB2 is a darker colour of plastic than the one on which you're currently working.
Yeah there were two large toy Thunderbird 2's generally available in the UK in the 90's, the Matchbox one, which was probably the poorer of the two, and was designed to take the 4" matchbox figures - they basically sat the entire length of the cockpit, and looked silly, and the Carlton one, often known as the Supersize version (they also did TB1 and TB3), which had mini figures, and looked more realistic. You could also get the Firefly and Mole separately for the Carlton one, and it was re-released later as a 40th Anniversary pack with those two pod vehicles added.
Dorzac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 04:47 PM   #18
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician
 
sbryantgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 51
Default

Again thanks to all for the wonderful comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
.....and how. What a great paint job, great yellow trim and weathering already. This really shows what can be done with a standard toy or model, and it's a real springboard for those of us looking on who'd like to attempt a similar project. How did you reduce the front viewport sizes: did you work from the inside out, or did you apply filler on the outer hull and then shape it?

I looked out my spare TB2 - no Matchbox stamp, rather a Carlton Entertainment stamp - and the lift up nose reveals three tiny seats and a cabin for micro-figures. My TB2 is a darker colour of plastic than the one on which you're currently working.

Anyway, back to your beautiful handiwork - most impressive and, as Boatie's already pointed out, ready for an emergency launch!

Kindest regards

Patrick
I found this YouTube comparison between the two types (Carlton and Matchbox, if you can excuse the poor narration, and camera work amongst other things) I does at least show you the differences. The Carlton is more correct even though the owner doesn't think so. And does not have the chubby wings and tail fins of the Matchbox TB2.

https://youtu.be/ZaovjieSCCI

I bought mine based solely on a memory of TB2, it was not until I started this process of modifying that I found it was so incorrect, so much so that I waver between changing more of it or just getting it finished.

As far as the windows go, The first side I did I placed double-sided tape behind or inside of the model then reattached the Plexiglas to give it strength which I then held in place with masking tape. I cut small pieces of plastic to fill the lower half of the windows, then filled and smoothed the exterior, the other side was done the same way but I negated the small pieces of plastic and simply filled then shaped and smoothed the openings.
sbryantgb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #19
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician
 
sbryantgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsimmonds View Post
It looks stunning absolutely stunning. What colour did you choose in the end?
I used to have one of these toys but sold it as I needed some money now I wish I hadn't as your superb work has made me think about attempting this.
Great work.
The pictures do not look anything like the colour it's painted, I will try to get some good natural light images when possible. It is several shades lighter and leans more towards an olive hue. The paint was from B&Q and is called Sherwood.
sbryantgb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #20
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician
 
sbryantgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 51
Default

Does anyone know if its possible to do a clear resin pour for windows from the outside of a finished model? If there are windows set inside the model to stop the resin just falling through.

There are just to many curves and angles to even begin to cut individual glass pieces. and I would really like to have flush windows in this.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Steve
sbryantgb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site and contents are copyright Bernard Walsh 2010 all rights reserved, no reproduction of material in any form without written permission email: Bernie.walsh@mac.com