Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Thunderbird 2 conversion

In the past I've been lucky enough to have picked up a couple of the 90s Carlton Entertainment Thunderbird 2s for a couple of pounds each - one is in really great condition, the other showing wear and tear (loose fitting pod, bent and discoloured hook, rust round the screws, and so on). It's a great toy, robust and reasonably faithful to the original, but my imagination has been fired by the activities of certain other illustrious individuals who are upgrading standard issue toys.

I decided to use the lesser of the two craft as a first time conversion project so, attached, the toy in its original form and then stripped of all its components. Wish me luck - I'll be delving into the unknown with body filler and other Forum-inspired activities - and I don't want to end up sacrificing a perfectly good toy without creating a decent Thunderbird 2 model.

Thanks to the good folk who regularly post their works in progress, both in great detail, and in simple to understand language.

More soon,

Kindest regards

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB2 28072015 1.jpg (160.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 28072015 2.jpg (111.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 28072015 3.jpg (115.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 28072015 4.jpg (175.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 28072015 5.jpg (193.9 KB, 49 views)
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Good luck with this project Patrick I'll be very interested as I too am thinking about doing this one day.

all the best
Malcolm
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #3
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician

I know I'm new around here but if I can help give me a shout Look forward to seeing this progress.

I've found that Fine surface polyfilla seems to work very well as a filler plus it sands down a treat and does not seem to suffer any shrinkage ( its also water soluble so mistakes or excess can be easily washed off. . it's pretty cheap and comes in a handy tube.

Steve

Last edited by sbryantgb; 29-07-2015 at 04:51 PM.
sbryantgb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #4
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbryantgb View Post
I know I'm new around here but if I can help give me a shout Look forward to seeing this progress.

I've found that Fine surface polyfilla seems to work very well as a filler plus it sands down a treat and does not seem to suffer any shrinkage ( its also water soluble so mistakes or excess can be easily washed off. . it's pretty cheap and comes in a handy tube.

Steve
Steve, I suspect you are going to have big problems in the future if you have used polyfilla on plastic. the shrinkage will occur but it could take weeks or even months. Something like P38 smooth car body filler would have been a better choice for this type of work. I hope your TB2 does not suffer shrinkage but in my experience it will, and slowly the edges of the filler will start flaking off.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
Steve, I suspect you are going to have big problems in the future if you have used polyfilla on plastic. the shrinkage will occur but it could take weeks or even months. Something like P38 smooth car body filler would have been a better choice for this type of work. I hope your TB2 does not suffer shrinkage but in my experience it will, and slowly the edges of the filler will start flaking off.
Yes you are right. I use the Polyfilla to build up the large areas that need filled, but then follow up with a car scratch and small dent filler called holts body putty for the actual finish.

I should really have been more clear on that....

Last edited by sbryantgb; 30-07-2015 at 01:13 PM.

Old 30-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Yes you are right. I use the Polyfilla to build up the large areas that need filled, but then follow up with a car scratch and small dent filler called holts body putty for the actual finish.

I should really have been more clear on that....
Ah that should work okay then mate, should seal in the polyfilla with some luck !
Old 30-07-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
Ah that should work okay then mate, should seal in the polyfilla with some luck !
well a little shrinkage and cracking just adds to the realism

Old 31-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #8
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

I think that's the second model as opposed to the launch model, but yes, they all seemed to suffer on those side booms that's for sure. Should have used a steel armature, but hey it was the sixties. Green plasatcine often filled the gaps, especially at short notice !

Last edited by Slate Mcleod; 31-07-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 31-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #9
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Under way.....

HI ETF members, here's a few pictures of progress to date. The thick panel detail lines (about 1.5mm high) are being removed - you'll see the remaining outline of the one representing the entry hatch in the cabin roof in the first picture. I like this toy and it's a robust design, but it's hard work cutting through the raised plastic. Anyway, onto some sanding as you can see, all very rough and ready but you get the idea.

Some observations on the shape of this TB2: if my measurements are correct, the wingspan is a wee bit short, the rectangular tail section box is too deep and the tailfins are aren't far enough apart at the top. If I'm feeling brave, I will endeavour to extend the wingtips by about 10mm, hack out the tail box and build a replacement. I'm leaving all of the curves alone - whatever inaccuracies there are, I will live with.

In summary, so far so good - I like the look of the adapted toy already, even in its roughest guise. Maybe it bodes well...

Thanks for looking in and kindest regards,

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB2 31072015 1.jpg (130.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 31072015 2.jpg (163.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 31072015 3.jpg (114.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 31-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Good start there Patrick, will be a good I'm sure.
LazyEagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 31-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #11
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyEagle View Post
Good start there Patrick, will be a good I'm sure.
That is coming together very nicely, your right that is a good base to work off.

I thought about extending the wings on mine, but ended up cutting them off and replacing them. Still pondering the rear tail section.

All the best

Steve
Old 31-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #12
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Just Another Day At The Office...

Roger that - everyday wear-and-tear...

Quote:
well a little shrinkage and cracking just adds to the realism

boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #13
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician

I'm very interested in how you will redo the cockpit windows

That's a whole lot of holes.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:17 AM   #14
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
I'm very interested in how you will redo the cockpit windows

That's a whole lot of holes.
Yes the windows are way too big. i'd glue plastic on from behind and fill with car body filler, smooth off then re cut them from scratch. They should be higher up and MUCH smaller, they look silly at that scale.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #15
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Progress, however slowly it may be.....

Hi ETF members, some pictures of the progress. Hopefully you'll pick out the new observation windows cut into her chin, and the reduction of the large viewport area by some coloured masking tape. It does help to suggest a bit more of the iconic Thunderbird 2 look. Other alterations include the removal of the landing leg housings under the side booms (seen in the last two pictures), the recesses cut into the undersides of the wing tips (these will accommodate the plastic card "extensions" which will protrude about another 10mm or so, extending the wingspan and tapering the wing), and more sanding.

Once sanded, the plastic takes on a shade not unlike the green of the original TB2 - I quite like it. Anyway, hopefully you'll see that she's a wee bit more accurate now, which I find helps because I feel like I'm actually starting to get somewhere. Thanks for dropping by,

Kindest regards

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB2 10082015 1.jpg (108.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 10082015 2.jpg (99.6 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 10082015 3.jpg (64.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 10082015 4.jpg (74.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 10082015 5.jpg (64.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 10082015 6.jpg (171.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 10082015 7.jpg (166.0 KB, 18 views)

Old 11-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #16
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician

This looks fantastic Patrick, The window alterations really show the potential (and how much closer to profile the Carlton model is.)

Very interested to see how and what you are going to do the nacelle profiling. And have noted you have cut away the lower view ports, couldn't get up the nerve to go that far on mine.

I also wanted to mention that I was well familiar with the old Century 21 comic. My grandmother used to package them up and send them over to Australia for me when I was a kid. I have very clear memories of being in my bedroom pouring over the latest issue she had sent. Mainly for the Thunderbirds, Stingray and XL5 stuff.

Cheers

Steve
Old 11-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #17
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Thank you!!

Good to hear from you Steve! Your question about the nacelles is very valid: I'm taking the view that curves are curves and should be left alone, even at the cost of some accuracy. However, I will have to fit the intake grilles and fill the seams between the two halves of the main shell so, depending upon the thickness of the plastic round the intakes, I may tinker a bit. What I'm really aiming for is "the look" rather than a completely accurate model. I forgot to say that I also removed the out-of-scale undercarriage from the pod as well, so she currently rests on the four lugs which previously held the two metal axles in place. She now sits much closer to the ground which, again, contributes to the overall look.

The great thing about this toy and, presumably, your Matchbox version is that it stands up to a fair bit of rough handling - fragile it most certainly is not. Cutting out the new viewports took an age, for example, but the material is difficult to break as well.

I'm glad you were a fan of TV21 - as a boy of primary school age, some of my most lasting and treasured memories are of the Anderson TV programmes and the comic strips. I don't think anything has really ever taken their place: as the saying goes, "you had to be there to fully understand". The artwork took the action to a whole new level - suddenly we could see the Tracy brothers running, jumping and falling and they looked like real people. It truly was a golden age.

Thanks as always for your kind words - one of the main reasons I'm doing this is because of your wonderful project. Hope you decide to go for the art deco version of one of the craft as well - I'd love to see that!

Kindest regards

Patrick
Old 11-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #18
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

Yes cutting out the extra windows will make a big difference as I believe you can see through them on the original model. This addition will give your TB2 that extra bit of detail that makes a model special.
As to TV21, my Gran used to collect them from the newsagents round the corner which was opposite the Odeon where I used to go on Saturday mornings without fail. It was always a highlight when I could get my grubby little hands on the latest issue. My favourite strips were Zero X, Fireball, The Daleks and Century 21 Agent.
I'll look forward to further updates Patrick as it looks a fun project with a great model to look forward to at the end of the build.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 09:38 AM   #19
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsimmonds View Post
Yes cutting out the extra windows will make a big difference as I believe you can see through them on the original model. This addition will give your TB2 that extra bit of detail that makes a model special.
As to TV21, my Gran used to collect them from the newsagents round the corner which was opposite the Odeon where I used to go on Saturday mornings without fail. It was always a highlight when I could get my grubby little hands on the latest issue. My favourite strips were Zero X, Fireball, The Daleks and Century 21 Agent.
I'll look forward to further updates Patrick as it looks a fun project with a great model to look forward to at the end of the build.
We must all be of a very similar age

I however could never get into the Agent 21 strip...
Old 19-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #20
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Filling time.....

Hi fellow members, here's an update on the progress to date. Main points are the wing extensions to widen the wingspan, the removal of the bulky tail unit and the addition of plastic card inserts in the tailfins for its replacement (when built), and my first ever dabblings with the legendary P38. So far so good, although I'm learning that the mix goes hard pretty quickly!

It's probably a long way round for a short cut - I suppose I could save up for a TB2 kit and save myself a lot of hassle but, to be honest, I'm enjoying the conversion process and working with hitherto unknown materials.

Thanks for dropping by and kindest regards,

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB2 19082015 1.jpg (182.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 19082015 2.jpg (125.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 19082015 3.jpg (130.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 19082015 4.jpg (101.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg TB2 19082015 5.jpg (141.4 KB, 30 views)