Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum


Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > SHADO Operations > Launch Crater

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
RCnut
Communications Officer
 
RCnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The windy city, well corner then.
Posts: 1,178
Default Thunderbird 1 22 inch Hero Model

Well since the cats out of the bag, I think its tme I blew a trumpet or two. This is the Thunderbird 1 for the 3 new episodes. Its a tad under 22 inches long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150807_163309.jpg (211.6 KB, 141 views)
RCnut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer
 
boatshewsd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States (California)
Posts: 1,761
Default Let Trumpets Sound!

That familiar silhouette, coming into view!
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
telster
Medical Technician
 
telster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 152
Default

Hey Mamas,

looking good (as always)! ... do I see a hint of a groove over the wing fairing there as in the original Launch model (still my favourite version of TB1)?

And now a couple of questions if you'll put up with me. First of all - the usual - are you going to kit this one?

& secondly ... how did you arrive at the size? I imagine that the larger size allows more convincing fine detail but my inclination would have been to match the size of the original model & allow use of whatevr original set dressing props you can lay your hands on like the Airfix girder bridge or Marx Sooper Snooper (or even a lemon squeezer!!!).
Of Course, now that I think of it, there were several TB1s - was one of them a tad under 22"?

cheers man

Tel
telster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
ac-60
Medical Technician
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telster View Post
Hey Mamas,

looking good (as always)! ... do I see a hint of a groove over the wing fairing there as in the original Launch model (still my favourite version of TB1)?

And now a couple of questions if you'll put up with me. First of all - the usual - are you going to kit this one?

& secondly ... how did you arrive at the size? I imagine that the larger size allows more convincing fine detail but my inclination would have been to match the size of the original model & allow use of whatevr original set dressing props you can lay your hands on like the Airfix girder bridge or Marx Sooper Snooper (or even a lemon squeezer!!!).
Of Course, now that I think of it, there were several TB1s - was one of them a tad under 22"?

cheers man

Tel
I was going to ask those very same questions - the main TB1 model from the series was 16 inches, wasn't it?
ac-60 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer
 
boatshewsd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States (California)
Posts: 1,761
Default A Many-Feathered 'Birdie...



Some while back came across the Thunderbird 1 Research thread in the Anderson Reference et al section; a fascinating read re the various up-down-all-round of our favorite 'Bird-In-A-Hurry. Herewith:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ad.php?t=20798
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
RCnut
Communications Officer
 
RCnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The windy city, well corner then.
Posts: 1,178
Default

Yep it is that version. For the first episode its shown in flight so no need for a specific sized model. If they want a 16 inch model, I'm sure someone will make one. As you guys know they had a different size for all applications. We dont have that luxury so its kindof one size has to fit all shots. Bens doing a smaller version for distance shots. So why 22 inch, I need to get all the gear in there, swing wing, rockets etc and I like the size, It wont get dwarfed by all my other models, read into that what you want
RCnut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
sbryantgb
Travel Tube Technician
 
sbryantgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnut View Post
Well since the cats out of the bag, I think its tme I blew a trumpet or two. This is the Thunderbird 1 for the 3 new episodes. Its a tad under 22 inches long.
This is very very cool
sbryantgb is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #8
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer
 
boatshewsd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States (California)
Posts: 1,761
Default



I do hope it will have the landing-gear skids and not the wheels - more practical, and just looks nicer! What if anything might you have heard, on this?
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:38 PM   #9
LazyEagle
Computer Technician
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCnut View Post
Yep it is that version. For the first episode its shown in flight so no need for a specific sized model. If they want a 16 inch model, I'm sure someone will make one. As you guys know they had a different size for all applications. We dont have that luxury so its kindof one size has to fit all shots. Bens doing a smaller version for distance shots. So why 22 inch, I need to get all the gear in there, swing wing, rockets etc and I like the size, It wont get dwarfed by all my other models, read into that what you want
Perhaps the consequence of reading highly anti-oxidant tea leaves this morning made me a turn a certain hue of envy? My interpretation of your latter statement Mam'.
LazyEagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #10
skiffy
Communications Officer
 
skiffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fraggle Rock
Posts: 964
Default

That's a sweet lookin' rocket ship. 22" is a good size. As any DOP will tell you, it's a lot easier to sell scale with a bigger model.
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #11
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ware, Hertfordshire
Posts: 642
Default

Great stuff Mamas as always.
Can't wait to see it finished and painted, are you going to turn this into a kit?
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #12
RCnut
Communications Officer
 
RCnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The windy city, well corner then.
Posts: 1,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsimmonds View Post
Great stuff Mamas as always.
Can't wait to see it finished and painted, are you going to turn this into a kit?
Well technically it is already a kit. I have had to make moulds so it could be made hollow and light
RCnut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #13
forza27
Eagle Pilot
 
forza27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 622
Default

Looking ahead, I guess there might be a Thunderbird 2 on the way



Wonder if anyone would want a kit of that!!!
forza27 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #14
Sea Devil
Travel Tube Technician
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aldridge,Walsall
Posts: 62
Default

So this is what you've been up to recently, Martin Bower was a little upset that he didn't get the gig for the model building. According to his face book page, he is selling his 2ft Supercar model on e -bay, asking price 13K. Based on that I think he probably priced himself out of the job. look forward to seeing the end result.
Sea Devil is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:45 PM   #15
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer
 
Slate Mcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Merseyside, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,270
Default

I think - I know- am convinced - that Mama's and Ben can produce the same if not better as Martin for a fraction of the cost, and especially with Mama's more functionality in terms of RC as well. It's a no brainer, they picked the best two guys to do this.

Last edited by Slate Mcleod; 10-08-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #16
RCnut
Communications Officer
 
RCnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The windy city, well corner then.
Posts: 1,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
I think - I know- am convinced - that Mama's and Ben can produce the same if not better as Martin for a fraction of the cost, and especially with Mama's more functionality in terms of RC as well. It's a no brainer, they picked the best two guys to do this.

Well, All I can say is thanks for the nice comments, And yes TB2 is the next one (Studio scale)
RCnut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #17
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer
 
boatshewsd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States (California)
Posts: 1,761
Default Pod People (Next Verse...)

Ben really set the bar high with his truly jaw-dropping TB2, last yr.

One can only imagine...
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #18
RCnut
Communications Officer
 
RCnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The windy city, well corner then.
Posts: 1,178
Default

As of yesterday. Did a couple of more takes this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB1 Image1.jpg (35.5 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg TB1 Image3.jpg (48.8 KB, 104 views)
RCnut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #19
telster
Medical Technician
 
telster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 152
Default

You've absolutely Nailed it - Congratulations Mamas!
telster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #20
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer
 
boatshewsd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States (California)
Posts: 1,761
Default Feather In Your Cap!

Agreed - simply wonderful! More, pls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by telster View Post
You've absolutely Nailed it - Congratulations Mamas!
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This site and contents are copyright Bernard Walsh 2010 all rights reserved, no reproduction of material in any form without written permission email: Bernie.walsh@mac.com