Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-08-2015, 03:08 AM   #1
klee
Medical Technician

Default SHADO Moon Hopper

After getting stuck on my Starcruiser 1 build, I decided to do something that was more in line with what I tried to do with that build. I have been working on this for a few weeks, it is almost finished (still have to work out the handrails). I see this as a next generation of the SHADO Moon Mobile, the big difference being that it would be capable of lunar orbital flight as well as sub-orbital hops to anywhere on the Moon. The model is 1:48 scale, 11 inches long. Here is a pic before I altered the boarding ladders, the apparent bow in the model comes from my camera, it doesn't like straight lines in closeups.

Here is the altered boarding ladder design, it folds up underneath in flight, I posed a 1:48 scale Apollo astronaut on the porch for scale.

And a link to the build log, I was pretty far along when I started this and did not take any pictures of the initial assembly steps. There is also a copy of the drawing I found online that served as inspiration for this build. The album is public and anyone should be able to see it with or without a Facebook account.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2467616&type=3

Finally decided on a handrail design, thought way too much about this detail and just went with a simple design. I have to add these to the opposite side, clean up some of the edges of the panel details and perhaps add a few more small details and this will be ready for paint.

klee is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
klee
Medical Technician

Got the first of the primer on, still have to flip it and do the underside. So far I see only a couple of minor glitches that will need attention before the final painting, I am thinking of going with a really light gray for this instead of white, perhaps camouflage gray.

After getting the primer on the underside I found only 4 small areas that needed additional putty work, 2 on the nose and 2 on the underside of the airlocks.

Last edited by klee; 22-08-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 23-08-2015, 12:48 AM   #3
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

It looKs really good, the only problem is all of us see Saturn V / Hawk parts ! I almost wish we didn't as it's a fine model well done !
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 02:02 AM   #4
klee
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
It looKs really good, the only problem is all of us see Saturn V / Hawk parts ! I almost wish we didn't as it's a fine model well done !
Why not imagine that the company that designed and built the Hawk is the same company that built this little ship as well. There are bound to be some design cues and technology that carried over from this ship to the Hawk.
In my mind, the universe of UFO and SHADO is the same universe as Space:1999 and Moonbase Alpha. The events in UFO took place in 1980, this ship fits in around 1990, after SHADO has expanded to multiple bases spread out to strategic locations on the moon. In this time period, the fight with the aliens is virtually over, advances in technology, mainly from back engineered alien technology has been incorporated into the early model Hawk fighters, forerunners of the MkIX Hawk seen in Space:1999 and the replacements of the original Interceptors, has virtually halted alien incursions into the inner solar system. Construction is also well underway on Alpha, an international base being built mainly as a research base and a jumping off point for interplanetary exploration. Even with the massive Moonbase Alpha under construction and the beginnings of shuttling Earth's nuclear waste to the far side of the moon, SHADO is still fully staffed and keeps a vigilant watch, just in case.
By September 1999, the aliens have disappeared and all but one of the SHADO bases has been shut down The last base has been taken over by the military and SHADO has ceased to exist. The remaining base was located five miles away from Disposal Area 1 and the base was obliterated when the waste dump exploded, the crew managed to escape before the explosion and had returned to Earth.
Yes. I do let my imagination run wild while I am working on a model.

Last edited by klee; 23-08-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 24-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default A logical extension......

The Moon Hopper looks just great: straight out of the same global consortium who brought you iconic craft like the Interceptor and the Eagle (the forerunner of which must be a variant of this four-legged beauty). Really lovely workmanship, and the astronaut figure just lends to the realism and sense of scale. I like the fact that you've integrated familiar components into the design so seamlessly - nothing looks out of place.

Looking forward to seeing her in One Shade of Grey (to begin with, at least).

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

What did you use for the "feet" ? I swear I recognise them and I don't think they are kit parts, but just can't for the life of me remember where I have seen them before ! Great build diary pics as well in your link !
Old 24-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #7
klee
Medical Technician

Quote:
What did you use for the "feet" ? I swear I recognise them and I don't think they are kit parts, but just can't for the life of me remember where I have seen them before ! Great build diary pics as well in your link !
Thanks, I wish I had documented the entire build but I didn't think about doing so until after I got the nose section framed up and the main body together. The feet were made from kit parts from the 1/200 scale AMT Man In Space Rocket set. I used the heat shield parts from the Apollo capsule combined with the Mercury capsule. I drilled out the nose of the Mercury capsule to accept a short piece of 1/8 inch styrene tube, I let that stick out about 1/16 of an inch. That 1/8 tube had the perfect inside diameter for the length of clothes hanger wire that I used for the core of the landing legs. After I posed the Hopper next to the 1/48 Lunar module I realized that the feet were almost the same size as the LM's feet.
Here is a closeup of the two kit parts I used for the feet:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3882.jpg (53.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 24-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klee View Post
Thanks, I wish I had documented the entire build but I didn't think about doing so until after I got the nose section framed up and the main body together. The feet were made from kit parts from the 1/200 scale AMT Man In Space Rocket set. I used the heat shield parts from the Apollo capsule combined with the Mercury capsule. I drilled out the nose of the Mercury capsule to accept a short piece of 1/8 inch styrene tube, I let that stick out about 1/16 of an inch. That 1/8 tube had the perfect inside diameter for the length of clothes hanger wire that I used for the core of the landing legs. After I posed the Hopper next to the 1/48 Lunar module I realized that the feet were almost the same size as the LM's feet.
Here is a closeup of the two kit parts I used for the feet:
That's a remarkable approach!
Old 24-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #9
klee
Medical Technician

Quote:
That's a remarkable approach!
I had parts of three of the "Man In Space" kits leftover from when I did My 1/35 scale Hawk a few years ago and decided to use as many of those pieces that I could in this. The only kit parts in this build that did not come from the AMT kits are the 4 1/24 scale Revell Gemini parts that I had in the spares stash. Here is a link to the Hawk build If you want to see it:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2467616&type=3

It is not 100% accurate, but it is close enough for me.
Old 24-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #10
klee
Medical Technician

Decided on Testors Flat Light Aircraft Gray for this. I did mask off some random panels to leave as the primer gray and I may do some others in other shades of gray.

Old 25-08-2015, 02:44 AM   #11
klee
Medical Technician

Blacked in the window recesses, removed masking tape from the darker gray areas. Will need only a little touch up around the windows and around a couple of the dark areas.

Old 26-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #12
klee
Medical Technician

More panel details painted. I remembered after I started the detail painting that I had made a decal sheet for my last Space:1999 Eagle model that had shades of gray and very light blue that I used for the panels on that. I am going to print that to use to finish this model, that will be a lot easier than trying to paint some of the underside detail panels.

Old 27-08-2015, 10:39 PM   #13
klee
Medical Technician

Slowly getting the decals in place, almost done with this side. Have some red pinstripes I plan to add, similar to the markings on the SHADO Interceptor and Moon Mobile. Still have a lot of items to pick out with detail painting.

Old 30-08-2015, 03:34 AM   #14
klee
Medical Technician

Got most of the paneling decals done, still a few more on the bottom. May have to replace a few due to silvering. still have to work out where I want to place the pinstripes and pick out the details with paint.

Old 30-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #15
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

I believed that the proper name for it should be the Moon Mobile.
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #16
klee
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop Artist View Post
I believed that the proper name for it should be the Moon Mobile.
I decided to use "Moon Hopper" as an homage to the vehicle designed for the proposed second series of UFO. It was called the Moon Hopper and was to be a vehicle used to transfer people from one place to the other around the massive 20 mile wide base. That vehicle eventually became the Eagle when UFO 2 was cancelled and the work done for that series was incorporated into Space:1999. IIRC, the set design for the Hopper became the travel tube interior. If you have ever noticed the travel tube has what appears to be Eagle style windows on one end, those were to be the front windows in the Hopper.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:19 AM   #17
klee
Medical Technician

More decals on, have to repaint the door, I did not like the way it looked, still have a lot of detail painting left to do.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #18
klee
Medical Technician

A little more work done on this today, should have it finished in a few days.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:21 AM   #19
klee
Medical Technician

After trying it out in Windows Paint, I decided to add the red pinstripes around the window recess. Port side done, need to add them to the starboard side.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #20
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

This looks amazing, I'm always envious of someone who can design something out of the blue.
I couldn't do this for love of money so I just build other peoples designs.
Great work.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote