Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Default SPACE 1999 YEAR 2 BLU-RAY - 28/9/15

Just received my Space 1999 Year 2 blu-ray through the letterbox this morning - with limited edition exclusive slipcase (although un-numbered, unlike the Year 1 blu-ray limited edition numbered slipcases) - ordered from networkonair (£60 on pre-order).

http://networkonair.com/features/space1999/

If you haven't ordered yet, order soon, before the slipcase versions sell out - you know it makes sense

Human decision required !

Last edited by SPACE 1899; 28-09-2015 at 04:28 PM.
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #2
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

I think £60 for Series 2 is a bit steep, considering Series 1 with the slipcase was £29.99 (which I have). So I think i'll wait for a price drop.
Dorzac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

I wonder when the U.S. release will happen?
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
tazmaniactaz
Travel Tube Technician

Default year 2

they do on ebay from canada
tazmaniactaz is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
SPACE 1899
Communications Officer

Just watched the blu-ray Metamorph episode - my eyes are still recovering from the dazzlingly ORANGE jacket that Koenig wears
SPACE 1899 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzac View Post
I think £60 for Series 2 is a bit steep, considering Series 1 with the slipcase was £29.99 (which I have). So I think i'll wait for a price drop.
Only had to wait 10 days and have now got it for the bargain price of £40 (with slip cover)

Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:08 PM   #7
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E View Post
Only had to wait 10 days and have now got it for the bargain price of £40 (with slip cover)

Hmmm, just been on the Network site at it still shows £60 (and its still listed as PRE-BUY which is a bit silly as its been available for 10 days!)

Did you buy thru Network? Have you got a link plz?
Old 13-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

Saw that its back up to £60. When I ordered it last Wednesday it was £33.60 and£6.40 P & P. Dunno what's going on over at Network as I don't usually buy from them.
Old 18-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #9
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

I picked up my copy from HMV yesterday £39.99. So far I've watched "Metamorph" and "The Exiles"... Oh, and I couldn't wait to watch the "reverse engineered" version of "Seed of Destruction".

So far I'm enjoying them. I'll need to watch more episodes before I can give a detailed report. Nevertheless, "Seed of Destruction" in the style of season one really works. You know that piece of music season one, which closed the majority of episodes after "Another Time, Another Place"? I'm surprised that they dropped that. It's like the Doctor Who screaming sound at the end of each episode, or the East Enders drum beat - surely, the main signature of S:1999 is the pathos of that piece of music?
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #10
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Okay, I've now finished watching Season 2. There are some very good episodes but there are some very bad episodes. I got the impression that there were three forces tugging against each other which ultimately de-railed the project.

1. It looks like a lot of the writers were given season 1 to watch, or else there were several treatments left over from season 1 which didn't make the final cut in season 1. Not much problem with that, except that you get the idea that the series was starting to repeat itself. For instance, the intro to "Brian the Brain" is very similar to the intro to "Black Sun" - which itself might have been good to revisit. Except of course that "Black Sun" had pretty much covered that idea. Likewise, "All that Glistens" owes a huge debt to "Ring Around the Moon", in terms of people becoming zombified by an alien entity. Also, when a lump gets sliced off the rock, they've used a sample of the "dragon" roar from "Dragon's Domain" - which also suggests ideas, but the script never really follows through.

2. It's pretty clear that they wanted to try something different for season 2, so that they wouldn't look like they were standing still. The new costumes, and especially the introduction of roundels on people's sleeves was a definite improvement. However, it's not immediately apparent why the changes have been made - plus, it's not clear what happened to the absent cast members. That being said, Tony Verdeshi and Maya are both good characters - as is Bill Fraser - but the overall silliness which began to creep into season 2 suggests that this was a real missed opportunity to improve on season 1, and that a lot of the intellectual stories (i.e. "Catacombs of the Moon", "The Lambda Factor", etc.) didn't quite hit their targets. I also got that "Yeoman Rand" syndrome in some of the episodes where Sandra (now called "San" for some reason) was replaced by Yasko and Bob Mathias by Ben Vincent - but with no explanation of why.

Incidentally, since some characters like Yasko and Ben Vincent are in some episodes but not others,

3. "...Which brings us back to monsters!" Now, where have I heard that before? Unfortunately, "The Beta Cloud" is probably the most hysterically bad pieces of science fiction ever. I'm not sure if it's the inane grin on the monster's face, or its googly "Mr Blobby" eyes, but every time the monster appeared I started laughing uncontrollably. Indeed, one bit should have made "It'll be Alright on the Night" alongside the clip included in the boxed set extras. Accordingly, Verdeshi throws a fire extinguisher at the monster and either hits him in the stomach or in the testicles! You can then hear poor Dave Prowse groaning and swearing

Then, we get that other really bad episode "Space Warp" - which also features "The Beta Cloud" monster and a lot of pointless running around on the moon.

So in effect, when you reach the last couple of episodes, you get the feeling that the series was getting very tired and didn't know what it wanted to be. I also got the feeling that many of the actors involved in the production didn't really want to be in it - and that the poor quality of many later episodes were the reason why someone called "time of death..." on what could have been something amazing.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #11
Dorzac
Eagle Pilot

Heads up; Network are having a 40% off sale this week ... S1 - £12.96 (DVD)/£14.40 (Blu-Ray), S2 - £24.00 (DVD) / £36.00 (Blu-Ray)
Old 08-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #12
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

Basically it was ITC in New York that caused most of Year Two's problems.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #13
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan E View Post
Basically it was ITC in New York that caused most of Year Two's problems.
True, but then again the NY suits originally rejected the pilot episode, as you may remember:

"Gerry, this pilot is terrible! And not only that, it goes on forever!"

I'm actually starting to get into season 2 now, because there are some really overlooked gems.

"Catacombs of the Moon" for instance - it's pretty much a SF version of Grey's Anatomy and it wouldn't take much to rewrite it as a Grey's Anatomy episode.

Other than that, "The Taybor", "New Adam, New Eve" and "The Sťance Spectre" are all very good. With a few tweaks, "A Matter of Balance" could have been much better (i.e. Shermeen is just irritating, and the monster is obviously the Beta Cloud creature redressed), as could "The Exiles", "One Moment of Humanity" and "Seed of Destruction" (which was fixed, and which is included as a bonus episode).

"The Bringers of Wonder" still stands out as being the best story of the season though.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #14
StrakersWig
Life Support Technician

I wonder if there has been any effort to find the footage excised from the original cut. Would Gerry have literally binned it in the editing room?

Maybe it would have made an over flabby pilot at 90 minutes or whatever it was but it would be interesting to see.
StrakersWig is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #15
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

There were some Audio outtakes from it, the link was posted on a thread here a few years ago. The audio tapes were interesting but went on for ever (there were several hours of them I believe ), with re take after re take. But you did get to hear the stars suggesting to the director different ideas
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 23-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #16
johnnybear
Weapons Technician

The Bringers of Wonder was and is the best episodes of series 2! That feeling that their plight might just be over and the re-emergence of old friends coming to rescue them no doubt however implausible was marvellous! The aliens when they actually appear are indeed very good especially with their liquids coursing through their veins while we watch! Those long lost days of the seventies are still with us now and forever...
JB
johnnybear is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:29 PM   #17
Puffy_Shirt
Medical Technician

Will the year 2 Blu Ray ever be available in the US format like year 1?
Puffy_Shirt is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #18
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy_Shirt View Post
Will the year 2 Blu Ray ever be available in the US format like year 1?
Excellent question! I want to know too.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #19
blondgod
Geological Technician

Eagerly waiting for it to be released here in the US as well.
blondgod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #20
tazmaniactaz
Travel Tube Technician

Default year 2 blueray

just do what i did i got a all region blueray for less than a hundred dollars and just bought a region b year 2 blueray best thing i ever did for blueraysbrows:
tazmaniactaz is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote