Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #1
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Default Don't think I've ever seen the original Eagle design drawings!

At least I don't really remember seeing them. I've tried to find them online but no luck. Anyone got any links?
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
phicks
Alphan

I don't recall the issue number, but Starlog did an article on some of the abandoned ideas for Space:1999's format, and the accompanying artwork included an early Eagle design. All the parts were there, but the proportions were wrong and ugly.
phicks is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

That rang a bell with me too, and I think this might be the piece you're referring to. (Article starts on pg 34, and continues past special SF merchandising insert-section.) What might've been, indeed...

(Any problems with this link? Pls advise; I tested it twice, before including it here. You're welcome...)

https://archive.org/stream/starlog_m...ge/n0/mode/2up

Quote:
Originally Posted by phicks View Post
I don't recall the issue number, but Starlog did an article on some of the abandoned ideas for Space:1999's format, and the accompanying artwork included an early Eagle design. All the parts were there, but the proportions were wrong and ugly.
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 12:27 AM   #4
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 View Post

That rang a bell with me too, and I think this might be the piece you're referring to. (Article starts on pg 34, and continues past special SF merchandising insert-section.) What might've been, indeed...

(Any problems with this link? Pls advise; I tested it twice, before including it here. You're welcome...)

Thanks for posting that. Question is who drew that Moonship Eagle forerunner. If that was drawn before the finished Eagle design then whoever drew it obviously had a strong influence on the finished design.
Old 21-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #5
hwels
Communications Officer

I think it's done by Chris Foss.
hwels is on duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-10-2015, 06:47 AM   #6
Howard
Deputy Commander

It was - there was a thread about this around here somewhere.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
mw12
Geological Technician

The "Space Journey 1999" illustration on the first page of the Starlog article was done by Chris Foss, but there is also an uncredited sketch on page 43 of that issue that shows a rudimentary Eagle sketch (quite distorted, but recognizable), referred to as a "Moonship" flying over a much larger "Moon City". Possibly drawn by Brian Johnson, but I can't really be sure.

Last edited by mw12; 21-10-2015 at 08:39 AM.
mw12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
phicks
Alphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatshewsd2 View Post

Yes, that was exactly the article I was thinking about. Thanks!

And that design for Main Mission looks like a Laundromat!
Old 21-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #9
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwels View Post
I think it's done by Chris Foss.

I think the painting is but did he do the sketch as well? I thought Brian Johnson designed the Eagles but is it more complicated than that?
Old 21-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #10
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw12 View Post
The "Space Journey 1999" illustration on the first page of the Starlog article was done by Chris Foss, but there is also an uncredited sketch on page 43 of that issue that shows a rudimentary Eagle sketch (quite distorted, but recognizable), referred to as a "Moonship" flying over a much larger "Moon City". Possibly drawn by Brian Johnson, but I can't really be sure.

It's only recently I've been aware of that picture by Foss and the other one. Is that the first picture which looks Eagle like I wonder?

Old 22-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #11
mw12
Geological Technician

I would hazard a guess and say that the sketch on page 43 is one that was done after the Eagle design was developed, as all the elements are more or less there (but not drawn particularly accurately). I wonder if Brian Johnson somehow could identify who drew it. Is anyone able to get in contact with him? He may be able to enlighten us about who drew it and when! Even if it's not THE original sketch, it is certainly an early one.
Old 22-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

I find page 34's sketch intriguing as well (hope I got the link right!)...

https://archive.org/stream/starlog_m...e/n33/mode/2up
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #13
Howard
Deputy Commander

That's clearly Foss.
I don't know if this image preceded the other posted here, as that seems more like the Eagle we know and love.
It would be interesting to find out who drew that image - I like the recessed pod door.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #14
mw12
Geological Technician

I think there was another thread on the forum that identified it as Chris Foss's work. Someone managed to find a high-resolution image, and found a small "F" in a square somewhere on the moonbase structure, which apparently is Chris Foss's trademark.

This one below is possibly the original colour scheme, but the detail is not really sharp (can't spot the "F"):

Edit: found the thread: http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ght=chris+foss

Last edited by mw12; 23-10-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 27-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #15
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Thanks for posting that link mw12. Well deranged posted this interview with Johnson -

also, i found the following quote from an interview with brian johnson on david sisson's website!

(DS) Can you tell us a little about the design of the Eagles in 'Space: 1999' and artist Chris Foss’s contribution to it?

(BJ) Well, Chris may have done an illustration that I believe was used in a promotional brochure or something, but the actual original design was mine……........
...........The original design drawings for the Eagle were done by me. I then took on Michael Lamont, one of the famous Lamonts involved in art and design in the British film industry, and he drew it out as a plan from my sketches. It wasn’t quite as long as I wanted so we added bits and stretched things out until it looked like the thing that was in the series.

i think it's reasonable to surmise that the foss eagle is based on one of BJ's

so Brian Johnson says it was himself who designed the Eagle but it would be really interesting to see his original designs and Lamonts plans. I've seen Meddings designs for instance but nothing of the Eagles.

Old 29-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #16
phicks
Alphan

And let's not forget that the Eagle's design starting point is really the 2001 Moonbus.
Old 29-10-2015, 06:03 PM   #17
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phicks View Post
And let's not forget that the Eagle's design starting point is really the 2001 Moonbus.

Yes that was certainly an influence. I'm sure Brian Johnson [ or somene else ] said that the Eagles were based on that.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #18
mw12
Geological Technician

I found this interview on a site called "Shadowlocked":

http://www.shadowlocked.com/20100607...n-johnson.html

A specific quote from the interview states that the Eagle's starting point was indeed the 2001 Moonbus, as Fallingstar said:

"Do you think that the knowledge that you gained on 2001 helped you to make Space:1999 a superior show?"

"Oh God yeah. Absolutely. That was my homage to 2001. And when we were designing/doing the cladding on the moon bus, I did a little sketch of a moon bus with an open framework on it, just for my own satisfaction, and then I just threw it away. Then when I got to Space:1999 I remembered that, and then I got a draughtsman...Mike...can't think of his other name...this was a draughtsman who was working on Bond..and he drew up a sort of rough thing, and then I took that and cut it to pieces and built it up so it was like a logical thing till I got the right lengths and made the command module with the lifeboat and stuff like that. None of that was on 2001. They were just things that I added."

I would love to have seen that sketch! Even though Brian isn't as quite as skilled at sketching as Derek Meddings or Mike Trim (no disrespect intended), the historical value of that sketch to us 1999 fans would be immense!

Last edited by mw12; 01-11-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:06 PM   #19
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Thanks for posting that mw and interesting stuff especially about Johnson putting framework on the Moonbus.

It still all seems a bit strangely vague though. He put framework on the Moonbus then just threw it away. I mean if I was designing spaceships for tv and film I think I'd try my hardest to keep everything so there was no doubt I'd designed a particular craft. Yet with the Eagle there's hardly anything (what we've seen anyway) of the original designs.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:24 AM   #20
mw12
Geological Technician

I get the impression from the interviews that he is not particularly nostalgic when it comes to past work, and particularly working on GA shows. When he sketched the framework moonbus, he probably didn't think it would lead to anything, and had no reason to keep it, having probably moved on to the next job. Being in the industry for as long as Brian has been, he'd end up with a pile of stuff if he didn't discard all the extraneous stuff from time to time.