SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-11-2015, 05:51 AM   #1
Eaglelover
Computer Technician

Default Eagle Redesign

Hello everyone,

I found this googling on the web. Its a redesigning of the Eagle that I really like. It retains most of what we like about the original design, but with some updates that bring into a more modern look. If the reboot of Space 1999 had taken place this is how I wished the Eagle would have been done. I think it looks great.

https://rafedesign.artstation.com/po...eagle-redesign
Eaglelover is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #2
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

now that is a cool sensitive redesign - thanks for sharing
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

It's ok but it hasn't got the nice lines of the original.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
Fozzy
Computer Technician

The engine pods remind a bit of the redesigned Galactica main engines.
Not a bad looking design over all, but as posted above, not the smooth lines of the original.
Fozzy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Some people seem to miss the point when they redesign the Eagle. The Eagle's overall shape is just perfect and shouldn't be altered.

The only things that definitely need altering are small things like a strengthening rod so the spine isn't weak without the pods and maybe 1 or 2 other small things to make it as believable as possible. The framework shouldn't be altered either.

Old 28-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #6
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Those Little Details...

Liked the red and green navigation lights; don't recall seeing them denoted anywhere in the original design. A little thing, perhaps, but noteworthy (kinda necessary, too)!
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 12:59 AM   #7
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

I came across this design about 3 weeks ago and I didn't like it. As mentioned above, the only thing that was added that's great is the red & green nav lights. I did my own re-design back in the 90's keeping with a similar body design. I then went off into another direction and made the Eagle as a cross between an airplane and the space shuttle. IMO, in 'real life' that's pretty much the only way to go. Think the Orion Space Clipper from 2001.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #8
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Designer View Post
I came across this design about 3 weeks ago and I didn't like it. As mentioned above, the only thing that was added that's great is the red & green nav lights. I did my own re-design back in the 90's keeping with a similar body design. I then went off into another direction and made the Eagle as a cross between an airplane and the space shuttle. IMO, in 'real life' that's pretty much the only way to go. Think the Orion Space Clipper from 2001.

So basically you designed something with wings - not an Eagle?
Old 29-11-2015, 07:48 AM   #9
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

If you want the spaceship to fly in an atmosphere, it has to be aerodynamic. The space shuttle is a lifting body so it glides to a landing. It would need some sort of heat shield on the bottom, like the shuttle. In my last (airplane-like) design, I had the 8 bottom engines covered with panels that swung open when those rocket engines needed to be used (landing or taking-off). I toyed with having the 2 forward landing leg boxes as canards and the 2 rear landing leg boxes were made larger as small wings. The entire hull was smooth like an airplane (I had a "747-hump" on top of the forward eagle section) and it followed the 5 sections of the eagle (detachable command capsule, forward eagle section, removable pod, rear eagle section and the 4 main rear engines). I had the rear wings on a hinge, so that they can swing upward when eagles docked with each other or when they were put away in storage (just like on an aircraft carrier). When I started sketching the last 'airplane' version (design #3), I was making it into a 2 decks where the passengers were on the top deck and the lower deck was cargo (just like a passenger jet) and contained the removable pod. This kept the ship body strong when the pod was removed vs the 'thin' spine on the eagle. This design was in the prelim stage and I hadn't worked on it for something like 2 years.

Last edited by Tech_Designer; 29-11-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 29-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #10
Fozzy
Computer Technician

If I may insert something more here; heat shields are required to dissipate during re-entry due to speed and air resistance. If one or the other were to be decreased, they are not required. If I remember one show correctly, the eagle was equipped with some type of shielding around the command module. Perhaps this reduced the resistance between the ship and air. Just a thought.
Fozzy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 29-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #11
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

There's no doubting the great artistic ability, but I've always found redesigns or updates pointless (Yes WETA Thunderbird 2, I'm looking at you!)
Eagles, Thunderbird 2, SHADO interceptors we love them so much because of their original and unique appearance.
Stingray would look more realistic in dark grey and all the fins removed, but then it wouldn't be Stingray!
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 06:51 PM   #12
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Designer View Post
If you want the spaceship to fly in an atmosphere, it has to be aerodynamic. The space shuttle is a lifting body so it glides to a landing. It would need some sort of heat shield on the bottom, like the shuttle. In my last (airplane-like) design, I had the 8 bottom engines covered with panels that swung open when those rocket engines needed to be used (landing or taking-off). I toyed with having the 2 forward landing leg boxes as canards and the 2 rear landing leg boxes were made larger as small wings. The entire hull was smooth like an airplane (I had a "747-hump" on top of the forward eagle section) and it followed the 5 sections of the eagle (detachable command capsule, forward eagle section, removable pod, rear eagle section and the 4 main rear engines). I had the rear wings on a hinge, so that they can swing upward when eagles docked with each other or when they were put away in storage (just like on an aircraft carrier). When I started sketching the last 'airplane' version (design #3), I was making it into a 2 decks where the passengers were on the top deck and the lower deck was cargo (just like a passenger jet) and contained the removable pod. This kept the ship body strong when the pod was removed vs the 'thin' spine on the eagle. This design was in the prelim stage and I hadn't worked on it for something like 2 years.

It would be interesting to see your designs but it doesn't sound much like an Eagle though.
Old 29-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #13
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Excellent Eagle redesign.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #14
Howard
Deputy Commander

I was reminded of the Galactica's engine assembly too. I think the whole of the engine section is a little too elongated and upsets the balance of the design, and to have an empty space in the middle of the engines is a waste.

I like the rest of it - although the CM is too thin. I like the thrusters on the leg pods, and of course the lights are a sensible addition.

Sadly, the most obvious design element that's missing and is a MUST is the framework's cross members, not only on the cages but on the spine.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #15
mw12
Geological Technician

It looks nice, but on closer inspection there are a lot of things that don't really make sense, and things that haven't been changed but should. (I know that some people on the forum are quite passionate when it comes to changes to the Eagle, but bear with me).

The most obvious thing for me is the cage and spine design. It is clearly meant to suggest a modular construction of single units bolted together, but this would not create a very strong spine - the original spine, even though it could be improved from a structural perspective, was much better, having continuous lengths from one end to the other, and diagonally braced.

I like the command module design, but I would have made the window recesses smaller and further forward to allow more room for the cockpit behind them (also maybe deleting the lower recesses as they don't seem to do anything - replace them with heat shields for reentry). Moving the upper recesses further forward would also lower them slightly to bring the windows down towards eye level.

I don't really like the engines, as they are a little over-styled, and don't really look realistic or feasible (the original at least had the appearance of being equipped with current or near-future engine technology, which helped maintain its "plausible" appearance).

The pod end profile is something I have been puzzled with from the original - I'm not sure why it has a different end profile shape to the Eagle cage. Maybe the pods were originally designed for another spacecraft, and then adapted to the Eagle, who knows? For a redesign I would change the pod profile to match the cage shape, but in this model it looks as though the general shape of the pod is the same as the original.

The original Eagle is a very clever piece of design, and my favorite movie/tv spacecraft, but like any vehicle or aircraft, there are always ways to improve it - there is no such thing as The Perfect Machine. I view this "re-design" as the next version, or replacement for the old model. With a few changes, and consideration given to function over form, it could be a worthy successor.

Well, that was my 2c worth...
mw12 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2015, 05:49 AM   #16
T.F.U.
Astrophysics Technician

Well im not a huge 1999 fan but i like it.
T.F.U. is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:01 PM   #17
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

I'd pretty much agree with the points made so far, but especially with mw12.

From a design point of view I would start by considering what tasks the next generation Eagle is intended for.

Pre "Breakaway", the Eagle is used for hauling nuclear waste, transporting personnel and occasional reconnaissance missions, with the additional function as lifeboats for the crew in case of a disaster.

Post "Breakaway", the Eagle now has the additional jobs of defence, planetary explorations, and deep space travel (i.e. like the lifeboat in "Black Sun" but also several of the deep space missions from Season 2).

However, from "The Bringers of Wonder" we already know that the Super Swift was being considered. We also the Mk9 Hawk and the conventional Swift, which may of may not be a deep space vehicle. We hear of a Mother Ship in "Brian the Brain" but we don't get to see it. Add to that the Ultra Probe and the Meta Probe and we have a broad range of craft made from similar components - as well as hints at other vehicles.

I personally would have favoured something like the Worker Bee from ST:TMP

https://freakart89.files.wordpress.c...g-together.png

That is, at least from the freight/haulage perspective.

I would probably also favour a cockpit like the Super Swift and ditch the cages altogether - basically have different modules available for personnel transport, defence, or deep space exploration.
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:07 PM   #18
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteQ View Post
I'd pretty much agree with the points made so far, but especially with mw12.

From a design point of view I would start by considering what tasks the next generation Eagle is intended for.

Pre "Breakaway", the Eagle is used for hauling nuclear waste, transporting personnel and occasional reconnaissance missions, with the additional function as lifeboats for the crew in case of a disaster.

Post "Breakaway", the Eagle now has the additional jobs of defence, planetary explorations, and deep space travel (i.e. like the lifeboat in "Black Sun" but also several of the deep space missions from Season 2).

However, from "The Bringers of Wonder" we already know that the Super Swift was being considered. We also the Mk9 Hawk and the conventional Swift, which may of may not be a deep space vehicle. We hear of a Mother Ship in "Brian the Brain" but we don't get to see it. Add to that the Ultra Probe and the Meta Probe and we have a broad range of craft made from similar components - as well as hints at other vehicles.

I personally would have favoured something like the Worker Bee from ST:TMP

https://freakart89.files.wordpress.c...g-together.png

That is, at least from the freight/haulage perspective.

I would probably also favour a cockpit like the Super Swift and ditch the cages altogether - basically have different modules available for personnel transport, defence, or deep space exploration.

Ditch the cages? OMG - are you even an Eagle fan? Things like that make the Eagle what it is and they're very definitely part of it's appeal. I think there's 1 or 2 people on here who think the show should look like New Battlestar Galactica or something. No offence but I hope you chaps aren't part of some upcoming Space 1999 remake. This shows to me how many revamps/remakes totally miss the point of why something was popular in the first place.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:44 PM   #19
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default What To Do, About The Eagles?

When I wrote my 1999 fan-fic Coda, a yr or so back, I tried to imagine the Alphans - after they'd reached Terra Alpha - wrestling with that very question...

For instance: how to shelter them all? Initially, they just had to sit out in the open air - no hangars. Their pilots would have to adapt to flying them in real atmosphere, full-time, and the problems that came with that (eg, events in Last Sunset)...

Changing them round would not be drastic, or immediate; it would come slowly, evolving over time, as new needs and events appeared on the new world. In the short run, as their new lives as colonists and pioneers began, the Alphans had a dependable workhorse, solidly-built and already flexible in its capabilities...
boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:51 AM   #20
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteQ View Post
This is what you start with. You ask the question "what role/function is this spaceship created for/ie. what is it's purpose?" When you look at the eagle this question can be answered in 2 different ways. You either have a single mode craft or a dual mode craft. In a dual mode craft, the eagle can operate in Earth's atmosphere as well as space. It picks up personnel and cargo from Earth, flies into space and to the moon. It also flies around the moon doing various duties. Since it needs to operate on Earth, it should have an aerodynamic body. If you chose a single mode craft, this means that it can only operate in space (and moon) only and therefore it doesn't need to be aerodynamic. The eagle is a flying brick in a planetary atmosphere. it also means that you need 2 (single mode) spaceships - one for earth only and one for space only.