Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #1
skiffy
Communications Officer

Default Space 2099 will be a thing?

I appreciate that the latest on this might already have been reported here.

I saw this:

"ITV Studios America and HDFILMS, the company behind ABC's reimagining of "V," are prepping a contemporary iteration of the 1970s space franchise."

http://www.blastr.com/2012/02/latest...v_reboot_v.php

..referencing The Hollywood Reporter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-remake-288601

I worked on a sensitive and sympathetic restoration/upgrading of this series back in 2008 but I don't know what I feel about a re-boot for today's audience.

Last edited by skiffy; 30-12-2015 at 12:04 PM.
skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

This has also be posted to some FB groups today - its 3 years old news, its as likely to happen as Alan Carter not crashing an Eagle.
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
skiffy
Communications Officer

D'oh. Guess who didn't check the dates on the articles? I put it down to a combo of Christmas excess and old age.

DELETE

DELETE

lol
Old 30-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Damn. I was hoping this was some new news.
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
skiffy
Communications Officer

Well, turns out that there is news (kinda).

Eric posted this up on the 2099 Facebook group yesterday:

"Happy New Year to ALL Space :1999 Fans worldwide!!!

2015 has just ended but not without leaving us with some BIG news. First, even if it hasn’t been officially announced, the Jace Hall Space 2099 series project has been cancelled by ITV new management. Most of you are probably disappointed and would had wish a revival of the series, even if its premise would have been light years away from the original series. I can only speak for myself and our Space Opera Studios team but I prefer no series rather than having one that exploit a title, names and our beloved Eagles in something that has nothing to do with the original series. Some people will disagree with me, but I do believe it is possible to recapture the original series spirit, look and design without having to transform the series in something it isn't. Just look at the Force Awakening which is the closest thing to the original Star Wars movies which were made in the seventies! And do the Millennium Falcon need to be redesign for today’s audiences? NO, neither is the Eagle! Some new tech here and there to make it look better, but nothing that will shock any fans.

I want all fans to know that at Space Opera Studios, our goal remain the same…producing a new Space 1999-2099 Legacy series. Since 2012, we have been forced aside due to the official ITV and HD film collaboration…which has now ended as a failure. ITV was aware of our work, but no communication or dialog was allowed with ITV Executives about Space 1999. In fact, since 2012, Space 1999 license for a new series was a taboo subject that NO ONE at ITV dare to talk about. But there has been major changes at ITV in the recent months which could explain the cancellation of Space 2099. I started my first contact with the owner of Space 1999 in the early 2000, when Space 1999 was own by Carlton. We then lost all our contacts there when Carlton was merge or bought by Granada. Then, it merged with ITV. So, we had our share of difficulties to get in touch with the right person then. However NOW is a different situation. We have good contact at ITV UK and we believe that ITV will be more willing to talk (in a few months maybe) about the future of Space 1999. Understand that our goal is simple…to know what they want to do with the series or what are the options they are willing to deal with independent production such as ourselves…or if you prefer…Make things clear!!!

As some of you know we have developed' our own original series called HELIOS, which is a futuristic drama that share some resemblance with 1999, 2001, 2010 and the latest movies such as The Martian and Interstellar. We know that we have a fantastic series concept in our hands and have been in talk with several parties over the past year. THIS project , once in production, could help us in our talk with ITV and also bring us some funds for a possible pilot for a new 1999 series. 2015 has been a very difficult one, but also a very informative one for us. Jace’s Space 2099 the series was not met to be. Not this way at least. Since 2012 we kept working on our Legacy series script with our writers leaded by Christopher Penfold and you know what…its the closest thing to the original series you can get…and its fantastic! It’s now time for us to take the front seat again and make something happen with ITV’s association or blessing.

You should know that we will never let this project of a new Space 1999 series go for the simple reason that we are FANS just like you!

Happy New Year!!!

Eric Bernard aka Jack Crawford."

Old 02-01-2016, 10:14 PM   #6
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Interesting to read that - but what about the revamp of the original series?

Some people might have been a bit stuffy about it but I thought it was a good idea to make the original series more believable and to tweak some of the more dated special effetcs.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:04 PM   #7
skiffy
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALLINGSTAR View Post

Some people might have been a bit stuffy about it but I thought it was a good idea to make the original series more believable and to tweak some of the more dated special effetcs.
That's the bit I was involved with. I don't reckon Carlton or ITV could ever give Eric the rights to go ahead with that. Nature of the business, I'm afraid.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:34 AM   #8
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffy View Post
That's the bit I was involved with. I don't reckon Carlton or ITV could ever give Eric the rights to go ahead with that. Nature of the business, I'm afraid.

I wonder why? There has to be something else going on if they're putting a stop to this. Again some people are stuffy about it and see anything like added cgi as George Lucas style tinkering but I bet most people would be up for it.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:50 AM   #9
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
I wonder why? There has to be something else going on if they're putting a stop to this. Again some people are stuffy about it and see anything like added cgi as George Lucas style tinkering but I bet most people would be up for it.
I wouldn't bet on that...

Han shot first!
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:05 AM   #10
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldman View Post
I wouldn't bet on that...

Han shot first!

That's the problem. Some people automatically associate any tweaks etc to George Lucas doing stupid, pointless things like the Han shoots first thing.

They can't seem to get it into their blinkered heads that CGI can enhance these old shows and make them better. As I said in the other UFO thread the cgi tweaks in the old Pertwee serial Day of the Daleks make quite a difference. Instead of a feeble battle at the end they've now added bullets bouncing off the Daleks, lasers and more Daleks. It's much better than the original.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:56 AM   #11
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

I'm aware that there is a group that wanted to remaster Space:1999 and had a couple of videos on that. I would love to see that project. However the same group further wants to do a sequel Space: 1999 series and I'm not to thrilled at that. Sure, I loved the original show in the mid-70's, but it was a sign of the times and in some ways hasn't aged well. In my mind, in order to continue, it needs a reboot not a sequel. Look at the new Battlestar Galactica - sure there were some things I didn't like about it - but it was great! The problem with the Jace Hall Space: 2099 tv series project was that they just released 2 art pictures and nothing else! As time went by, fans kept asking for more information and they kept giving excuses and it got really old, really fast. It's not surprising that it got cancelled. With a reboot series, it would fix all of the "mistakes" of the original series (which can't be done with a sequel series). There's many discussions on Eagle redesigns (one here recently) and to state that the Eagle design as shown on the original series is just 'perfect' and it shouldn't change is wrong. A redesigned Eagle would fix most, if not all, of the mistakes of the original. I wish you the best, but I prefer a reboot series not a sequel series.

Last edited by Tech_Designer; 03-01-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:36 AM   #12
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Designer View Post
I'm aware that there is a group that wanted to remaster Space:1999 and had a couple of videos on that. I would love to see that project. However the same group further wants to do a sequel Space: 1999 series and I'm not to thrilled at that. Sure, I loved the original show in the mid-70's, but it was a sign of the times and in some ways hasn't aged well. In my mind, in order to continue, it needs a reboot not a sequel. Look at the new Battlestar Galactica - sure there were some things I didn't like about it - but it was great! The problem with the Jace Hall Space: 2099 tv series project was that they just released 2 art pictures and nothing else! As time went by, fans kept asking for more information and they kept giving excuses and it got really old, really fast. It's not surprising that it got cancelled. With a reboot series, it would fix all of the "mistakes" of the original series (which can't be done with a sequel series). There's many discussions on Eagle redesigns (one here recently) and to state that the Eagle design as shown on the original series is just 'perfect' and it shouldn't change is wrong. A redesigned Eagle would fix most, if not all, of the mistakes of the original. I wish you the best, but I prefer a reboot series not a sequel series.

Whether a sequel series would work or not I don't know but I'm most interested in seeing the original series remastered and brought up to date. I think it's worth it as most of the show still looks great but some tweaks here and there to the special effects and story would make it more believable.

Let's face it the original idea of the nuclear blast knocking the moon out of Earths orbit just doesn't stack up. How the hell for a start could the moon travel that far in anyones lifetime so that it comes across alien worlds? It's absolutely ludicrous. The Space 2099 remastered offered [ from what I remember ] the only convincing explanation for that - which was the explosion opening up some sort of black hole which they get sucked into. Plus of course the date 1999. I'd love to be able to watch the original series and see these things fixed as at the moment they're glaring plot holes.

As for a reboot - when I talk about keeping the Eagle the same some people can't seem to understand that what I mean is the Eagles should still have the same overall shape but with a few tweaks to make it more believable - such as a spine strengthener. Some people have talked about getting rid of the framework. That framework with the interior cage detail is one of the things that makes the Eagle so visually appealing. It would be insanity to get rid of that as it's integral to what makes the Eagles so appealing. Any modifications should be minor.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:29 AM   #13
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

One of the main problems with Space: 1999 was the bad science. The method/explanation on how the moon was blasted out of Earth's orbit would never work. This needs to change to a more plausible explanation.

The Eagle, although it looks cool, has problems. It's a spaceship with no airlocks for instance. A lot of the problems have been discussed in the other thread. You also run into the problem that the interior set can't quite fit into the exterior (model). There were also problems with the interior set. For the first season, there was only one door between the cockpit and the forward Eagle section when there should have been two. The cockpit chairs are sunk into the floor when they should have been raised (way?) up in order for the pilot/co-pilot to look out the window. The passenger pod set was suppose to be symmetrical, however the forward section with the spacesuit lockers is shorter than the rear section with the passenger chairs.

In the second season, I believe production went to another, smaller studio with a smaller budget. This meant less/smaller sets. One of the sets lost was the forward Eagle section. They had the cockpit set attached to the passenger pod set, we all know this is wrong. We the audience had to 'pretend' that the forward Eagle section set was still there.

I'm not sure if the missing forward Eagle section in season 2 can be 'fixed' ie put back in using cgi. If it can, this would have to been done for every season 2 episode which will take a lot of time and money. You would need to get rid of the 'magic' boarding tube as there is no way that can fit into an Eagle's passenger pod. Another thing, I could never get how 2 Eagles docked. On the show they just had the rectangle box that the 4 maneuvering thrusters attach to touch the box on the other Eagle - there were no docking clamps. My brother and I could only come up with that those rectangle boxes were magnets, one side had north pole and the other side had south pole so that's how 2 Eagles docked, by 2 magnets touching each other.

The list goes on. You can fix some problems with cg but not everything. At the end of they day, yes, I'm very interested in seeing a remastered Space: 1999 (just like they did on classic Star Trek and now Next Generation). That being said, remastering can only take you so far - in order to fix everything, you need to go back to the beginning and do a remake. The only other alternative is, if you are doing a sequel series (taking place 40 years later), then make those changes and ret-con everything (telling your audience to 'pretend' that these changes were in the original series).
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:01 AM   #14
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Designer View Post
One of the main problems with Space: 1999 was the bad science. The method/explanation on how the moon was blasted out of Earth's orbit would never work. This needs to change to a more plausible explanation.

The Eagle, although it looks cool, has problems. It's a spaceship with no airlocks for instance. A lot of the problems have been discussed in the other thread. You also run into the problem that the interior set can't quite fit into the exterior (model). There were also problems with the interior set. For the first season, there was only one door between the cockpit and the forward Eagle section when there should have been two. The cockpit chairs are sunk into the floor when they should have been raised (way?) up in order for the pilot/co-pilot to look out the window. The passenger pod set was suppose to be symmetrical, however the forward section with the spacesuit lockers is shorter than the rear section with the passenger chairs.

In the second season, I believe production went to another, smaller studio with a smaller budget. This meant less/smaller sets. One of the sets lost was the forward Eagle section. They had the cockpit set attached to the passenger pod set, we all know this is wrong. We the audience had to 'pretend' that the forward Eagle section set was still there.

I'm not sure if the missing forward Eagle section in season 2 can be 'fixed' ie put back in using cgi. If it can, this would have to been done for every season 2 episode which will take a lot of time and money. You would need to get rid of the 'magic' boarding tube as there is no way that can fit into an Eagle's passenger pod. Another thing, I could never get how 2 Eagles docked. On the show they just had the rectangle box that the 4 maneuvering thrusters attach to touch the box on the other Eagle - there were no docking clamps. My brother and I could only come up with that those rectangle boxes were magnets, one side had north pole and the other side had south pole so that's how 2 Eagles docked, by 2 magnets touching each other.

The list goes on. You can fix some problems with cg but not everything. At the end of they day, yes, I'm very interested in seeing a remastered Space: 1999 (just like they did on classic Star Trek and now Next Generation). That being said, remastering can only take you so far - in order to fix everything, you need to go back to the beginning and do a remake. The only other alternative is, if you are doing a sequel series (taking place 40 years later), then make those changes and ret-con everything (telling your audience to 'pretend' that these changes were in the original series).

The bad science is glaring and this is why it would be good to see it revamped (if some people don't like it then they can always watch the original broadcast which will always be availavle)

As for the Eagle yes it obviously has it's realism problems as has often been discussed but these could probably sorted by a bit of imagination and small tweaks etc but the overall shape doesn't need to be altered hardly - if at all if there's a remake. Airlocks, a spine strenghtener etc can again be added without altering the Eagles unique look.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:24 PM   #15
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

I haven't been hearing a hide or hair about it for a long time now.
Do you think it had fell thru the cracks just like the so-called UFO
movie reboot did?Do you think it met the same terrible fate as it
did?
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2016, 07:30 PM   #16
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop Artist View Post
I haven't been hearing a hide or hair about it for a long time now.
Do you think it had fell thru the cracks just like the so-called UFO
movie reboot did?Do you think it met the same terrible fate as it
did?

Looks that way. There was also a revamped original series Galactica a while back [ not sure it was done by the same company ] and it looked great but for some reason these things haven't progressed.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Here's a good write up about that Galactica revamp -

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/69533

though I'm not sure the video's available.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #18
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffy View Post
Well, turns out that there is news (kinda).

Eric posted this up on the 2099 Facebook group yesterday:

"Happy New Year to ALL Space :1999 Fans worldwide!!!

2015 has just ended but not without leaving us with some BIG news. First, even if it hasn’t been officially announced, the Jace Hall Space 2099 series project has been cancelled by ITV new management. Most of you are probably disappointed and would had wish a revival of the series, even if its premise would have been light years away from the original series. I can only speak for myself and our Space Opera Studios team but I prefer no series rather than having one that exploit a title, names and our beloved Eagles in something that has nothing to do with the original series. Some people will disagree with me, but I do believe it is possible to recapture the original series spirit, look and design without having to transform the series in something it isn't. Just look at the Force Awakening which is the closest thing to the original Star Wars movies which were made in the seventies! And do the Millennium Falcon need to be redesign for today’s audiences? NO, neither is the Eagle! Some new tech here and there to make it look better, but nothing that will shock any fans.

I want all fans to know that at Space Opera Studios, our goal remain the same…producing a new Space 1999-2099 Legacy series. Since 2012, we have been forced aside due to the official ITV and HD film collaboration…which has now ended as a failure. ITV was aware of our work, but no communication or dialog was allowed with ITV Executives about Space 1999. In fact, since 2012, Space 1999 license for a new series was a taboo subject that NO ONE at ITV dare to talk about. But there has been major changes at ITV in the recent months which could explain the cancellation of Space 2099. I started my first contact with the owner of Space 1999 in the early 2000, when Space 1999 was own by Carlton. We then lost all our contacts there when Carlton was merge or bought by Granada. Then, it merged with ITV. So, we had our share of difficulties to get in touch with the right person then. However NOW is a different situation. We have good contact at ITV UK and we believe that ITV will be more willing to talk (in a few months maybe) about the future of Space 1999. Understand that our goal is simple…to know what they want to do with the series or what are the options they are willing to deal with independent production such as ourselves…or if you prefer…Make things clear!!!

As some of you know we have developed' our own original series called HELIOS, which is a futuristic drama that share some resemblance with 1999, 2001, 2010 and the latest movies such as The Martian and Interstellar. We know that we have a fantastic series concept in our hands and have been in talk with several parties over the past year. THIS project , once in production, could help us in our talk with ITV and also bring us some funds for a possible pilot for a new 1999 series. 2015 has been a very difficult one, but also a very informative one for us. Jace’s Space 2099 the series was not met to be. Not this way at least. Since 2012 we kept working on our Legacy series script with our writers leaded by Christopher Penfold and you know what…its the closest thing to the original series you can get…and its fantastic! It’s now time for us to take the front seat again and make something happen with ITV’s association or blessing.

You should know that we will never let this project of a new Space 1999 series go for the simple reason that we are FANS just like you!

Happy New Year!!!

Eric Bernard aka Jack Crawford."
Good, go for it Eric Bernard.

Quote:

I saw examples in 2012 of the work Eric Bernard et.al. did on revising SPACE:1999 effects, continuity mistakes and the season two opening credits to look like the far superior season one all under the updated title SPACE:2099. It was extremely brilliant work that I would love to see completed so we would ultimately have the original Space:1999 and the revised version of the original series titled Space:2099.

Eric Bernard and all involved you are truly artists, bravo!
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:34 AM   #19
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gerard View Post
Good, go for it Eric Bernard.

I saw examples in 2012 of the work Eric Bernard et.al. did on revising SPACE:1999 effects, continuity mistakes and the season two opening credits to look like the far superior season one all under the updated title SPACE:2099. It was extremely brilliant work that I would love to see completed so we would ultimately have the original Space:1999 and the revised version of the original series titled Space:2099.

Eric Bernard and all involved you are truly artists, bravo!

The clips I saw looked good too. I think if they can they should just go ahead and finish it [ except for money there's nothing to stop them doing it as a private project ]. Some company will pick it up some day.

And do other shows like UFO. Most of the model work when the vehicles are on the ground is great and stands up well today but when the saucers etc are flying through Earths sky they don't look very good in most shots. You can see the wires clearly so I'd redo them for starters.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #20
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
The clips I saw looked good too. I think if they can they should just go ahead and finish it [ except for money there's nothing to stop them doing it as a private project ]. Some company will pick it up some day.

And do other shows like UFO. Most of the model work when the vehicles are on the ground is great and stands up well today but when the saucers etc are flying through Earths sky they don't look very good in most shots. You can see the wires clearly so I'd redo them for starters.
Absolutely agree, finish SPACE:2099, then do UFO.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote