Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #41
SteveB
Hydroponics Technician

Hi - basically a high gloss white - for use on white goods such as refrigerators and radiators etc.

It can be toned down of course with other paints afterwards.

Steve
SteveB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #42
oldcopierguy
Life Support Technician

Default CRIKEY...a ruddy LIMEY...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrain View Post
It is indeed, a little to the South of Calgary, currently about +1C (feels like -4 or 5).

Now the accent is a rather broad (at times) West Country UK accent, a bit like Capt Jack Sparrow's.
"Stone the flippin crows...!!!" As me mum would say. She was from Stoke-on-Trent in the Potteries, and during the war worked in a factory loading 20mm shells for Mossies. I had one but can't find it that had a flaw in it, and she kept it as a souvenir of her war duty. I spent 2 yrs in Jolly 'Ol working at Harrod's and Burberries as a window display designer. Also worked in a pub, reporter, and men's sales in the early 70's. I picked up my fascination with Sci-Fi while across the pond and it's never let up...! I like to put on the accent now and then to mess with store clearks...GREAT fun, if you know what I mean eh, eh, knowhatImean, eh...?! Nudge, nudge, nudge...

Cheers mate
Laurie
oldcopierguy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #43
1999eaglej
Alphan

Thanks Steve. I will give it a go. I don't want to mess up a fantastic model of my favorite ship. The Eagles are the best design in Sci -fi history. I am a huge fan of Space 1999. And Gerry Anderson. Dam spel Czech.
1999eaglej is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 11:45 PM   #44
Ferrain
Hydroponics Technician

Halfords is a UK car accessory shop, usually stocks basic car parts & tins of spray paint for touchup. It would seem they cover white (electrical) goods now as part of the paint range.

I missed the later posts. Hadn't realised we were on to page 3 - That's a whole different subject of modelling.

Funny enough "Nudge Nudge Wink Wink" came up in conversation in out technical chat forum this week with a Yank at work. I love throwing British terms into the chat & messing with (especially the boss) their minds.

Last edited by Ferrain; 22-01-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Ferrain is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 02:01 AM   #45
Scifitodd
Forum Supporter

Hi guys, Klee is rocking this build, he's also documented any problem areas either with instructions or parts. This is the kit we all wanted 40 years ago! There are quite a few builds going on in my FB group, swing by and check it out!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/space1999propsandships/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scifitodd is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #46
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Halford Matt White Primer over Black is pretty good also helps when masking the Beak and Spine attachment points.

The originals had detailed airbrushed panels using Std Humbrol greys (64,28 and 140), the engines were carbonized with Airbrushed Humbrol Matt Black (33) with some Dark Earth (29) added to the mix. They were also dusted with black powder paint.
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #47
klee
Medical Technician

Got the back wall of the command module painted, didn't really concentrate on neatness since not much of it will be visible once I seal it up. I used Tamiya rattlecan paints, TS-46 Light Sand for the main color, TS-12 Orange and TS-6 Matt Black for the door surround and the black details. The white details, including the door, are just bare plastic. The black overspray at the lower left of the door is just a stain where Tony spilled some of his beer and it ate away the paint! (that is my story and I am sticking to it)

klee is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 11:21 PM   #48
oldcopierguy
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectors House View Post
Halford Matt White Primer over Black is pretty good also helps when masking the Beak and Spine attachment points.

The originals had detailed airbrushed panels using Std Humbrol greys (64,28 and 140), the engines were carbonized with Airbrushed Humbrol Matt Black (33) with some Dark Earth (29) added to the mix. They were also dusted with black powder paint.
Hey Hector, I think I missed something...what is the purpose of White over black as stated above...?

Cheers,
LT
Old 24-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #49
klee
Medical Technician

Passenger pod is together:

Old 25-01-2016, 12:05 AM   #50
Ferrain
Hydroponics Technician

My attempt at a paint match for the back wall, didn't dry in the colour quite as expected, I did get a goodish match for the doorframe orange\brown with the larger blue panel to the left.

I was quite happy overall with my detailing attempt at neatness (until yours) & then noted how little of everything would be visible once the module is assembled & decided not to worry about the back walls.

I did grab some orange LEDs yesterday & with the interior of the module painted black, nothing showed through (except some area's that require a touch up) the walls & illuminated the cockpit in a very pleasing orange glow.

At the moment I'm veering towards sealing the whole module & running the LED's cables along the companion ways rather than a seperate battery\switch in the pod.

Watching your progress with great interest.

Last edited by Ferrain; 25-01-2016 at 12:07 AM.

Old 25-01-2016, 01:06 AM   #51
klee
Medical Technician

CM windows ready to install:

Old 25-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #52
1999eaglej
Alphan

Looks great so far...I'm waiting to get some leds for mine before I progress any further...awesome kit!
Old 25-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #53
boatshewsd2
Life Support Officer

Default Windows of the Soul...

Simply beautiful windows...they come across almost like sculptures!

I can tell you that this Yank has gotten schooled (good-naturedly, of course! ) once or twice here on ETF, re a few of the finer points of British slang...

Separated by a common language...*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by klee View Post
CM windows ready to install:

boatshewsd2 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 12:01 AM   #54
klee
Medical Technician

Got the basic painting done on the pilots. Still have some work to do on the faces and the area around the faces before I will be happy with them.

Old 26-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #55
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcopierguy View Post
Hey Hector, I think I missed something...what is the purpose of White over black as stated above...?

Cheers,
LT
Gives the model depth, the white holds a natural greyness to it when you do this. They also appear less toy like.
When I built the 12" MPC Eagles for the 'Building the Eagle Special' from Happy Medium press - out Feb. They were painted this way.
And the scale effect it gives a 1/144th Saturn V has to be seen to be believed.

Pinched this one from some ILM old timers.
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #56
oldcopierguy
Life Support Technician

Quote:
Gives the model depth, the white holds a natural greyness to it when you do this. They also appear less toy like.
When I built the 12" MPC Eagles for the 'Building the Eagle Special' from Happy Medium press - out Feb. They were painted this way.

Aaahhh, I see said the ol model building geek from the Great White North...!

That makes sense actually...hmmm, will definitely use that trick on the Eagle...when the damn thing GETS here that is...Pony Express is dreadfully slow this time. Must be the snow...?
Old 27-01-2016, 04:36 AM   #57
Ferrain
Hydroponics Technician

I had a cluster of 5mm (Flat top) LED's arrive today in various colour's.

I think I prefer the orange I bought the other day to illuminate the command module rather than white.

The plastic 5mm LED holders (once painted white), combined with the flat top white LED makes for a potential convincing forward light on the front flat face on the shoulder pods, while the port & starboard lights I mentioned should remain 3mm & on the corner panels front & rear.

I can see more eBay purchases in the near future, as there's some slow & fast flashing ones there so I will put on the Commanders side, the other type in the co-pilots vicinity & also populate the pod with a cluster.

I can see this all running off a single 12V battery & 1 Channel remote control now with sound externally set up.

Last edited by Ferrain; 27-01-2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old 27-01-2016, 11:40 AM   #58
mike s
Communications Officer

hello - do you mean spray it completely black first..? and then dust the white over the top but without completely covering the black...?

Quote:

mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 04:41 PM   #59
Ferrain
Hydroponics Technician

Cover in black, then cover in white totally (allowing the paint to dry first), the white over black gives depth is what I took that to be.

Now masking off some area's to be blacked up or not, would that give a differing panel effect white & greyish white?
Old 27-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #60
1999eaglej
Alphan

I agree with using the orange LEDS, for the cockpit. It really replicates the feel of the lighting in the series. I must say my Eagle is coming along nicely. I bought a 2nd kit, for the potential aftermarket parts. The current eagle is a trial run.