Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway > Blakes 7

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 31-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
thebrighton
Chef

Default Federation Trooper

Hi,
This is my first post here as I'm looking to build a Federation Trooper as a diversion from the Stormtrooper and Snowtrooper costumes I wear in the UK Garrison.
I've been reading the various threads on sourcing the costume and the 'hard' bits, gun and helmet seem relatively easy and are underway. However the 'soft' bits are another story. There don't seem to be any threads recently so what is the latest suggestions for the boiler suit as those mentioned a few years back seem impossible to source now as do the boots.
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Gareth
thebrighton is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrighton View Post
. There don't seem to be any threads recently so what is the latest suggestions for the boiler suit
Actually, there are quite a lot. The front runner seems to be the spada motorcycle rain suit. This is actually quite good, but it has two problems:

One, the zipper isn't straight...it's at an angle. So, if you want it to look really accurate, you have to find a way to camouflage this. Not too hard, as there is plently fo fabric typically, so it's pretty easy to do a bit of sewing on them.

The other problem with them is comfort: since they are supposed to be rainproof, they are lined with a waterproofing coating. If raid won't go through them from the OUTSIDE, sweat won't go through them form the INSIDE, either: every time I've worn mine, after about a half hour , the suit becomes a sticky steam bath.

Recently, I've acquired a LANDJOFF Caving suit. These are about twice as expensive, and the collar is totally wrong (so more sewing called for there) , but a short wearing makes it appear that to more comfortable.

Still have not a certain source for accurate boots: they appear to be rubber rain boots, most people here got theirs on ebay to ave the correct vintage set...not sure what distinguishes them specifically to try to find similar boots.

Good luck there, we always need more fodder for the old blood and lasers: travis just uses 'em up.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #3
thebrighton
Chef

Many thanks for the reply. Without seeing an original in the flesh how shiny were they? I'm thinking they were nylon. I was considering one of these 'Dickies' http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3706707302...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
with the pockets removed, collar altered and poppers added. Perhaps not shiny enough but certainly cooler to wear. My sewing skills are next to useless so I don't fancy tackling the diagonal zipper. Can't seem to find a Landjoff in my size as I'm average and that's what always sells first!
Boots are a problem as I can't locate any decent original photos so hard to compare. The boots most of the guys on here seem to have are as rare as hens teeth.
Hopefully the Federation will accept me as being a Stormtrooper most of the time I can't shoot a barn door from 6 foot
Gareth
Old 01-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Ham Salad
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrighton View Post
Many thanks for the reply. Without seeing an original in the flesh how shiny were they? I'm thinking they were nylon.
<

Yes they were made out of shiny nylon motorcycle rain suits. However, the original brand is long gone...made in the '70s.

How shiny I'm not sure...unless you were planning to make one, you're stuck with what you can buy and modify,

Dickies coveralls are just fabric, not nylon...not shiny. Not really the right type of thing. There are lots of places that sell motorcycle rainproofs, but any of them might have that sweaty issue problem. You can get skydiving nylon suits, One of mine was one (used) but new ones are expensive...

http://www.bevsuit.com/jumpsuits.html

Last edited by Ham Salad; 01-04-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Ham Salad is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
thebrighton
Chef

I'm wondering whether you could get a fabric one and give it a coating of waterproofing such as this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-500ml-...MAAOxyOMdS9fPM
I've used similar in the past and it does leave a shine when applied, may have to give it a go. Skydiving - not considered that!

Old 03-04-2016, 05:00 PM   #6
thebrighton
Chef

Decided to go for a Landjoff and duly ordered from Bulgaria. Rifle and mask on way but just missed out on a vintage JB climbing helmet on Ebay. It went for 45! have to keep a look out for another. As for boots I've no idea what I'm going to do. I also need to make a decision regarding gloves. Looking at photos they ranged from black leather gauntlets to short fabric ones.
Gareth
Old 04-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
Exterminator
Deputy Commander

You're right, the Troopers' gloves and boots did vary throughout the series. Originally, they wore woollen gloves and some sort of lace up boots (I guess they were the cheapest option for a series with almost no budget!). Later on, they wore leather bike gauntlets and Derri boots.

There are quite a few Derri boot designs and styles around today, but you want to search for "classic" or "vintage" ones. It's still possible to get hold of them, old ones still crop up on eBay. You want black ones like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Derri-Boots-DR7218-Wellington-Wellingtons/dp/B00ADVEBDIhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Derri-Boots-DR7218-Wellington-Wellingtons/dp/B00ADVEBDI .

The bike oversuits were ... whatever was cheapest! The design seems to be common to at least a couple of manufacturers. Again, you can sometimes see something suitable on good old eBay. The problem is that because of what they are (cheap waterproof oversuits), they tended to get chucked away o ce they were worn or damaged, so,it's quite ironic that something cheap and plentiful is now quite difficult to find. The nearest modern equivalent is the Spada Eco, the only real "issue" is that the zip is diagonal. A lot of modern oversuits have a lot of reflective/fluorescent stripes and logos, not something you find on the old ones.
Exterminator is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
thebrighton
Chef

Hi,
Boots - now I can get my hands on a black pair like that if they're the right ones. I was looking for ones with a couple of ribs on the sides that I've seen other troopers wearing.
Oversuit - I've gone for the basic Landjoff as it has a straight hidden zip, no pockets and the only non black bit is the logo which would be covered by the vinyl badge.
Cheers
Old 05-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #9
thebrighton
Chef

A couple of JB's just popped up on Ebay. At 25 buy it now I didn't bother getting into a bidding war. I'm nearly there now
Old 08-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #10
thebrighton
Chef

I've been busy sourcing bits with some already here and others on the way.

I'll update as thing progress.
Gareth

Old 09-04-2016, 07:26 AM   #11
MangaMax
Eagle Pilot

Nice work! Seems strange reading the same build both here and over on the UK Garrison!
MangaMax is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #12
thebrighton
Chef

I'll have to see if I can vary it a bit. Here's some photos of the helmet that arrived today. I'll post them the other way round on the UKG

Of course the mask doesn't fit round the helmet so a bowl of hot water will be needed to sort that out.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #13
KevinD
Communications Officer

I fitted mine on the inside, it won't show when the band is in place and the mask is thicker than the fibreglass originals.
KevinD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #14
thebrighton
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
I fitted mine on the inside, it won't show when the band is in place and the mask is thicker than the fibreglass originals.
I had a look at as it fits but the mask is just to close to my face, touching in places
Old 10-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #15
thebrighton
Chef

A day of sanding, filling, priming etc.

More painting tomorrow weather permitting.

Old 15-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #16
thebrighton
Chef

Things have been moving along:

Gloves are only temporary in the photo. Some Leathernext pilot ones arrived today.
Gareth
Old 15-04-2016, 10:32 PM   #17
clanger68
Computer Technician

Looks stunning.

Gloves look good to me as they are, I'm sure I have seen them use that style with the wrist strap on the show.
clanger68 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 04:26 AM   #18
thebrighton
Chef

With the gloves it was more a case of them being sheep skin lined so rather warm and so thick I could barely bend my fingers so couldn't hold the gun! The Leathernext ones are much cooler and very soft
Gareth
Old 17-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #19
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Looking tooled up and ready to go
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #20
thebrighton
Chef

It's getting there slowly.