SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
Fingers
Waste Technician

Default Painting/masking tips for Airfix 12" Eagle

Hi,

I'm currently building an Airfix 12" Eagle (that I bought back in 1983). I'm using the Paragrafix detailing kit, but my question is around painting....

I'd like to paint the background between the cage scaffold a darker colour, but what's the best way to do this? Has anyone got any tips?

I've thought of masking the framework (hard!?) and then spraying the background grey, then removing the masking and applying a light coat of white? I've read about weathering powder, but never used it, would this be an alternative to apply before painting?

Any ideas appreciated, thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old eagle small.jpg (43.0 KB, 46 views)
Fingers is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Weathering power wouldn't achieve what you want. Its nothing more than ground up pastel chalk and is intended to making something look dusty or to pool in the joints to give a dirty look.

If you want my honest opinion your best bet would be to cut the backgrond pieces out and if you don't want to go to all the trouble of building the detailed inner walls and shelves, just place a rectangle of plastic card to make the walkway's walls. and paint that darker grey.

If you really only want to paint. then paint the whole thing white first and fill in with a paintbrush and a steady hand. If you want to mask the cage, just do it as you go along and mask the edges to give you a straight edge.

Whatever you do will take a lot of time and effort, thats why this is not a good kit (I'm being polite by the way )
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #3
Fingers
Waste Technician

Thanks Boldman,

I didn't want to cut the background pieces out (although modifying the landing gear has turned out to be quite satisfying!). I'm really just using this kit for a bit of practice before hopefully getting a 22". I'll have a bit more of a think while I'm building the rest of the kit...
Old 11-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #4
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

If I were you I'd not waste your time on this kit and go straight to the 22" kit - its vastly superior in its accuracy and engineering which makes it much easier to build. I've just received my second 22" kit in the post today from Timeless Hobbies. I'm going to try to de a better job on the LED lighting and on the landing gear legs than I did with the first one back in February.
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

[quote=Boldman;401807]If I were you I'd not waste your time on this kit and go straight to the 22" kit - its vastly superior in its accuracy and engineering which makes it much easier to build. I've just received my second 22" kit in the post today from Timeless Hobbies. I'm going to try to de a better job on the LED lighting and on the landing gear legs than I did with the first one back in February.[/QUOTE

I have to echo Boldman's advice here....ditch the 12inch it's really not worth the effort anymore. Go straight for the 22.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Eagle-p...my_p_2953.html

Lou (Aztek-Dummy) Dalmaso's masks will do exactly what you want, and more... They are available for the 22" kits as well:
http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Eagle-1...my_p_3525.html
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 04:53 PM   #7
Fingers
Waste Technician

Thanks Richard!