Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 11-04-2016, 02:40 AM   #1
Nilsson
Alphan

Default 22" MPC Eagle- working thrusters

Does anyone have an idea of how to make this size model capable of showing the main engines firing? I saw in an Eagle One restoration article how they originally used pressurized air cans that fit into the transporter pod.

Thanks for any advice.

Nilsson
Nilsson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

You have lots of space in the passenger pod, but probably not enough to hold canisters of airbrush propellant or similar. I would also imagine the firing mechanism to be non-trivial to construct.

I'm sure someone will have a go however
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

I think the way to go would be by having the gas source external and feed the jets through a stand-mount. That way all you need to do is run tubing to the different VTOL thrusters in the model itself and make the display base whatever size you need to the cans and lighting power. They make some nice quick connect pressure fittings in small sizes which would be strong enough to support the model for display...
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
PeteQ
Life Support Technician

Not sure if you've already seen this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRwrmmGEcf4

Around five to six minutes in it explains how the jets worked - oh, but this is for the 44" model. In theory it could be done, but you'd have to scale the canister down by the appropriate amount. I hope this helps.
PeteQ is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #5
Nilsson
Alphan

Thanks for the responses. I wanted to mount the air/gas source internally, but I'm not sure if such a small source exists. It looks like the external source idea using airbrush cans may be the ticket.
Nilsson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 17-04-2016, 02:08 AM   #6
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsson View Post
Thanks for the responses. I wanted to mount the air/gas source internally, but I'm not sure if such a small source exists. It looks like the external source idea using airbrush cans may be the ticket.
I dont think you would get the pressure sadly doing it that way, also even on the originals the gas canister had to be inverted at the right angle to achieve that particular effect.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
Raytheon
Life Support Technician

It does look damn good, I did the airbrush can thing on one of my VERY early 44's with the pod and main rear engines But...

Not trying to teach anyone how to suck eggs but take extreme care with airbrush propellant cans. The bog standard types have highly flammable gas in them and it can stink more than a bit.
Trust me, the standard type can kick out a decent impression of a flamethrower at the slightest spark and I'm not going to tell you how I know that

I do not know if the non-flammable types will work with what you have in mind but just a safety note here.
Raytheon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 11:36 PM   #8
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raytheon View Post
It does look damn good, I did the airbrush can thing on one of my VERY early 44's with the pod and main rear engines But...

Not trying to teach anyone how to suck eggs but take extreme care with airbrush propellant cans. The bog standard types have highly flammable gas in them and it can stink more than a bit.
Trust me, the standard type can kick out a decent impression of a flamethrower at the slightest spark and I'm not going to tell you how I know that

I do not know if the non-flammable types will work with what you have in mind but just a safety note here.
He's right...Health and Safety didnt exist back in 1975. Why do you want to create this effect anyway? If for a movie just add it digitally these days.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #9
ImmediateLaunch
Hydroponics Technician

If it's for filming purposes you can get a nice "dust up" effect with blow dryers. I did this on a 16mm student film and used ground cinnamon for dust. Overcranked the camera for a shot of a spacecraft landing on a pad and it looked great. Of course you won't see any visible exhaust stream but it adds to the realism.

Ivar

http://www.creativedioramas.com
ImmediateLaunch is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote