Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 03-05-2016, 12:10 AM   #1
talon51
Alphan

Default Any news on 2nd production run for Round 2 22" Eagle?

I was wondering if anyone has heard of any news on a 2nd production run (with fixes included) to Round 2's 22' Eagle? Or should I even bother waiting for one? I remember them saying there would be one, but that was ages ago! And a google search turned up nothing...
talon51 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:56 AM   #2
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

Round 2 stated that they were going to do a second and third production run with the correction done in the second. I waited since January for the second run. I ordered a copy from my local hobby shop and just got it. I haven't checked it yet. As far as I know, there is no way to check which production run a set is. It would be nice if they had some sort of code on the box that states the production run. I also picked a Aoshima Knight Rider Kitt season 3 and there is some problems on the front bumper. I'm taking that back and having them order me another one.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:05 AM   #3
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

Well, I looked at my copy and found a date on the bottom of the bar code 11/08/2015 A1. It looks like a first production run. I opened it and checked the parts and I have found the errors. Rats!!! This is what I didn't want to happen. I'm going back to the hobby store tomorrow and they had another copy on the shelf and I'll check the bar code info on that one. The guy in the store told me that one of their two suppliers just got a new batch of stock in and he was going to try to get it from them. I wonder if they got it from their other supplier who had a few copies left. Not happy.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #4
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

Well that's a new one on me,I didn't even know that Round 2 is making
corrections to it's 22in Eagle Transporter kit,I thought they got it right
the first time when it came out.Since when did they make the announcements
they were going to do that?
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:36 AM   #5
talon51
Alphan

Someone posted a link to a Round 2 production blog here. and they discussed all the flaws that would be corrected. I've been biting the bullet until they do. I don't think I've wanted to build a kit this bad. I just would really like to avoid as much "corrective surgery" as possible. Sorry I don't know where the link is tho...

Old 05-05-2016, 01:49 AM   #6
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

They stated it here:

http://www.collectormodel.com/round2...s-have-landed/

I went back yesterday to my local hobby store and I checked the date on the bar code box and it read "03/09/2016 A3" - so March 09. I'm wondering A1 means 1st batch and A3 means 3rd batch?? I asked if I can bring back the one I got and get it exchanged for this one and got the OK. It looks like this one was the one I ordered and somehow it got swapped out with the one they already had on the shelf (a 1st batch).
Old 05-05-2016, 01:53 AM   #7
talon51
Alphan

Was it the second run kit you were looking for? I wonder if the landing pad springs were shortened. Hmmmm...
Old 05-05-2016, 02:45 AM   #8
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

Yeah, I was looking for a second or third batch which would have the corrected parts. As for the springs, some have cut a bit off, shortening them. I wouldn't cut mine. I'm not sure about getting the 2 accessory packs with the aluminum engine nozzles. I'm wondering if someone who has the 2 accessory packs, if the extra weight gives that compression to the springs?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #9
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Designer View Post
Yeah, I was looking for a second or third batch which would have the corrected parts. As for the springs, some have cut a bit off, shortening them. I wouldn't cut mine. I'm not sure about getting the 2 accessory packs with the aluminum engine nozzles. I'm wondering if someone who has the 2 accessory packs, if the extra weight gives that compression to the springs?
I don't have them but those from across the pond that do, say the additional weight does not really make a difference to the spring height - you need about an additional pound of weight to make the Eagle sit correctly unless you change out the springs.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Designer View Post
To compress the springs enough to make a difference you need about 2kg of weight - I tested it on mine which I didn't shorten the springs on. 2kg is WAY too much to load into the model to fix this!
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

My Eagle has landed!
At Last - I've only been waiting since Nov 2015.

Will let you know whether mine is the amended tooling or not.
I'm definitely working mine back to the original 22" miniature, with no knees, limited detail in the cages and reworked fuel lines.

2.0kg seems a lot to add?
Hectors House is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #12
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

They are quite strong springs!

I estimated that the springs need to be compressed about 1cm. This is from visual inspection of my own Eagle I completed back in February. I tested it by adding 0.75kg of lead shot to the passenger pod. This lowered the springs by 4mm. it was an easy calculation then to come up with about 2kg to lower it 1cm.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #13
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

Wow, 2KG of weight!! It looks like you either need to cut the springs or replace them. If you buy the first accessory pack, it looks like you get the landing leg strut in aluminum which replaces the plastic ones that you get in the model kit. The 4 plastic main engine bells are made in 2 parts instead of 1, which surprised me.

Update: I went in to my local hobby shop and exchanged the copy I got a few days ago with the other one (which is the one I ordered) and when I got home I checked the parts and it looks like I got the corrected parts. The top and bottom halves of the command module both have the 2 tabs on the rear edge. The 4 clear windows do not have the 'magnifying' effect. I can't tell with the other 2 errors (the 4 round CM dishes and the 4 thruster boxes on the 4 landing leg boxes) but I assume those should be corrected as well.

If you want the corrected parts, look at the date on the bottom of the bar code box and aim for a later date of February/March/April. The (2nd) one I got has a date of March 09, 2016. I'm still thinking about getting the 2 accessory packs.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #14
talon51
Alphan

Cool. Thanks for the usefull info. It's good to know that the second runs are out there. Now the real trick is ordering one online, as every model shop in my city is completely lacking in the sci-fi genre. I'm very seriously concidering ordering the accessory pack as well. Out of curiosity, does your second run eagle have different springs? I don't mind altering the existing ones, or buying new ones, but as I would not have a first run spring to compare to the second run, I would not know if the new ones are in the box when I receive my kit. Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by talon51; 06-05-2016 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #15
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

The fixes do not include new springs. There were some faults with certain parts such as the transparencies for the cockpit and the pod thruster blocks - these have been corrected.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:21 PM   #16
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

The springs looked the same to me. If you have to order one, ask the retailer that you want a second or third batch which contains some corrected parts. The retailer can then ask their supplier (or check their stock) to find one with a later manufactured date. As someone told me awhile back, it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 08-05-2016, 12:48 AM   #17
talon51
Alphan

Thanks, Tech Designer and Boldman for the valuable information. Exactly what I needed to know! I hope your builds go well, Tech Designer. And I'm very much looking to picking up one of these beautiful kits for myself soon. Cheers!
Old 15-05-2016, 07:18 PM   #18
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

Mine arrived on saturday.
Comparing it to an original test shot, there doesn't seem to be too much difference. It is tad cleaner though and is only in 2 colours not 3.
Old 21-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #19
xsavoie
Life Support Technician

Default More pods?

I don't know about you guys but I think it would be an excellent idea if Round 2 would release the various different pods together in a separate box. The Lab Pod, the Pod with the Winch, the Pod to carry the nuclear canisters. Also include nuclear canisters, a couple of nuclear mines, a Moon Buggy with astronauts, a couple more astronauts standing. Possible Eagle Boosters, and a movable arm on the Eagle's spine. I am sure that this ensemble would be very popular.
xsavoie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 05:54 PM   #20
Hectors House
Astrophysics Technician

They should be coming at some point, depending on Round 2's upper echelons. I know that it was the original plan.
Should be starting mine in September which I'm back dating to match the original 22".
Looks as if it's going to be more work then I 1st expected!