Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 11-08-2016, 01:02 AM   #1
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Default Finally starting building a 44" Eagle

I've been a lurker here for quite some time, admiring the builds here.
I was very hesitant starting, since I've never soldered anything more than wires in electronics. Eventually I found materials that allowed me to make a jig and decided to give it a go. I picked up some end mill bits for use on my drill press and milling vice to fish mouth the ends of the brass. I must say that is going a lot faster than I thought it would.
My build will be a bit of a Frankenstein build, since I managed to acquire bits and parts from different builders. The cockpit and landing gear are from ship-star.com and I have some machined aluminum main engines and bottom thrusters I bought, but I forget from who. I also picked up an AB models transport pod from eBay, but I may not use it because it has a bend to it that may not be able to be straightened out. Basically it is humped, so it will not sit tight to the spine.
I missed acquiring parts from Rogue Studios when they were selling bits and pieces, which I regret, figuring stuff like that would be on sale forever. Silly me.

TazMan2000
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (186.1 KB, 19 views)
tazman2000 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:24 AM   #2
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Hi / Welcome
Great stuff, another 44"! Look forward to seeing more.
The first line of your intro is almost identical to mine, I lurked around trying to find the courage to start.
Julian
Old 11-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhugger View Post
Hi / Welcome
Great stuff, another 44"! Look forward to seeing more.
The first line of your intro is almost identical to mine, I lurked around trying to find the courage to start.
Julian
Your thread, is what convinced me to get off my butt and try to do this. Initially , I thought that I would have to file and sand each fish mouth but it certainly does help if you have the proper tools and are experienced with milling (which I DO NOT). So I guess my drill press with be a cheap man's attempt at getting something like this accomplished. I might take a few short cuts and use JB Weld to make the joints, since I'm afraid that reheating previously soldered joints will cause problems if not properly clamped. Once covered with paint, nobody (except the readers of this thread, of course) will know.

Thanks for the encouragement!

TazMan2000
Old 11-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Pleased to have encouraged someone and not put you off. Have a go with solder, a good butane flame iron and good brand flux (I found std flux to be fine). Branded or low cost solder didn't make much difference.

Reheating the joints; I found ok. Never really did anything desolder. Apart from the CM hanger tubes - not fun!

I had never soldered anything like this before. It has been immensely satisfying.

If you need help with the unusual bits - brass engine rings? Give me a shout, I have bits a bobs of material knocking about and a moderately well equipped workshop.

Good luck

Julian
Old 12-08-2016, 04:10 AM   #5
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

I certainly do appreciate that Julian. Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing your Eagle completed and learning from your thread.

TazMan2000

Old 29-08-2016, 03:09 AM   #6
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

The Frankenstein Eagle project continues. The basic frames are done. Time to add the extra tubing inside. In keeping with the Frankenstein nature of this project, the tubing installed may be brass, plastic or another material...and it will most likely be glued to the base frame by JB Weld or CA glue. Yes, unconventional compared to other Eagles on this website, but most of the stress points are soldered and the hexagonal framework is surprisingly strong, and this model will not have to survive the rigours of filming...its just for display.

TazMan2000
Old 29-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #7
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Looking great.
I think they were all Frankenstein builds, I read the brass work was repaired and pinned several times during filming and read a steel spine (Eagle 3??)was produced to try and cut downtime.
Old 31-08-2016, 03:38 AM   #8
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Hey Moonhugger, where did you get your brass angle from? Searched online and locally without any luck.

TazMan2000
Old 31-08-2016, 03:35 PM   #9
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

I used a company in the Uk.
Noggin End Metals - if you email Mike there tell him I recommended you; he did me a deal and said he would do the same for other members.
I couldn't get the "right" size but got close - can hardly see them once the walkways / shelves are fitted. I have a couple of meters at home if you just want enough for one model - I could cut it short to ease the post.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:02 AM   #10
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

I figure that area is critical to the structure of keeping the landing pods supported properly, even though the walkways (if properly built) will alleviate flexing in the brass angles. I
Again, I do appreciate your offer Julien, but I'm going to try some aluminum channel that I found at a local metal store. If that fails, I'll take you up on your offer. Thank you.

Currently I'm experimenting with glues on some brass test pieces. Epoxy and CA failed the shear test. Hopefully JB Weld holds better. The slow cure stuff takes about 15 hours.

Nick

Old 02-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #11
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

The JB Weld stuff worked. On the test pieces it really took a lot of force to pry the two pieces apart. The worst part of the standard JB Weld is the slow cure time. Even after a couple of hours the weight of the pieces made them slide out of position. I'm going to try the fast setting stuff even though its strength is considerably less that the original.

Nick
Old 02-09-2016, 09:17 PM   #12
Anduril
Alphan

Nice work thus far!
Anduril is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:07 PM   #13
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Thanks Anduril.

I managed to pick up the wrong aluminum channel, but I think I may have found a replacement at The local DIY store of Lowes. I calculated that 5/8 channel will be perfect and I am off to go visit the store and pick some up as well as the fast curing JB Weld.

I figured out an easy way to get the vertical tubing glued into the cage assemblies. I made a jig out of some spare chunk of wood that I will secure to the inside of the frame. If all goes well, all of the vertical tubes will be perfectly aligned.

TazMan2000
Old 04-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #14
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Not a lot of progress but I managed to find a length of aluminum U channel at Lowes. Funny thing, most other stores quote the outer dimensions to the channel but Lowes sells it by the internal dimension, which in this case is 1/2 inch. I'm not adding the large diameter brass tube to the middle of the cages, since I don't believe it will add any mores strength to the cage, and may even detract from the look of the model.
I still have to glue some small pieces that are temporarily placed. The JB Kwik is working out well.

TazMan2000
Old 05-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #15
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Looks good.

I think the vertical tube does detract from the model and not fully sure how it adds strength.

Your one piece angles are stronger on there own but I think the vertical tube probably passes some of the load to the centre of the structure and away from the edges (angles). Of course we are making static models not filming models (at least I am).

I kept the vertical tube in - just because, that is how they did it.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:51 AM   #16
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Thanks Julian.
I should correct myself. The 5/8 center tube does add a bit of strength to the entire frame. Every little piece of brass does. It's just that it doesn't need to be on my model. It's just like Moonhugger says, it's for display and not for moviemaking.

Man. Machining the brass is getting a little tedious.

Nick
Old 18-09-2016, 02:27 AM   #17
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

I have completed the basic construction of the cages. They do need to be cleaned up and the X'es have to be inserted, but I will put that off until later. I will star on the spine next.
Sanding the brass where the JB Weld is used makes a far better joint. Also, Even though the JB weld is supposed to fully cure in about 24 hours, the longer it sits the more stronger the bond.

TazMan2000

Last edited by tazman2000; 18-09-2016 at 02:31 AM.
Old 23-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #18
nivektunk
Geological Technician

Looking really good. Glad to see a local tackling this. I have all parts to make my 44'' Eagle too, just need the time. I will follow in interest.
Cheers,
Kevin
nivektunk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 02:44 AM   #19
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Wow. I thought I was the only one in Alberta that has, or is building on of these in this scale. Nice to hear that there is someone other than just me. Thanks for looking.

TazMan2000
Old 27-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #20
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

Nice to see that start of a new Eagle
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote