Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 06-12-2016, 04:23 AM   #41
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Starting work on the landing pads acquired from www.ship-star.com
The detail is sharp and it has few bubbles. I believe they were rotational molded. I cut off the resin armatures since I believe they didn't have enough strength to hold up the model. One slight drop, and I'm certain that the armatures would shear. The Frankenstein Eagle is a heavy bird.

I needed a solid mounting point to screw an armature into. I figured the best idea was to use the same type of resin that I think the caster used. Filling up the whole bottom part would have taken a lot of resin and added even more weight, so I used clay to dam up half of the bottom part. Several smaller pours were required as I didn't want the curing heat to potentially damage the part. The new resin also strengthened the "cylinder" that the landing gear sits in which was another benefit.

TazMan2000

Last edited by tazman2000; 06-12-2016 at 04:26 AM.
tazman2000 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #42
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Nice.

Are you going to spring the legs? You might want a hole in the aluminium for the tube/spring; they need to be quite long to get the low spring rate.

I made my own leg pods but picked up some old A+B model leg pods at a charity auction; they came in at 1.1kgs (2 and 1/2 lb) each! They are sat in a cupboard unused.

star-ship.com wont open for me at the moment but I will have a look later, never come across them before.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:32 PM   #43
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default One of my favourite parts....

I love seeing the two walkway module sections fitting together round the leg housings. That looks just great. When I made my version I built the cage round the walkways, and then just bulldozed the leg housings right through the sides of the walkways. Rudimentary but it did the job.

Your Eagle, and Julian's, are wonderful examples of the original construction methods, and the craftsmanship and standard of handiwork really shine through. Keep up the good work,

Kindest regards

Patrick
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:46 PM   #44
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhugger View Post
Nice.

Are you going to spring the legs? You might want a hole in the aluminium for the tube/spring; they need to be quite long to get the low spring rate.

I made my own leg pods but picked up some old A+B model leg pods at a charity auction; they came in at 1.1kgs (2 and 1/2 lb) each! They are sat in a cupboard unused.

star-ship.com wont open for me at the moment but I will have a look later, never come across them before.
Yes, I am going to spring the legs. The Ship-star parts had metal tubes with springs included, and some small machine screws. I have not put them together yet, though. I have no idea what happened to his site, but I checked it myself and got a 502 error. It was running less than a month ago, so I'm not sure what happened. There hasn't been any activity, on that site, at least not on the Eagle side of it.

Are you going to use those leg pods for another Eagle? It would be nice to have one with a Laboratory Pod.

Nick
TazMan2000
Old 07-12-2016, 12:01 AM   #45
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfleming@jbt.co.uk View Post
I love seeing the two walkway module sections fitting together round the leg housings. That looks just great. When I made my version I built the cage round the walkways, and then just bulldozed the leg housings right through the sides of the walkways. Rudimentary but it did the job.

Your Eagle, and Julian's, are wonderful examples of the original construction methods, and the craftsmanship and standard of handiwork really shine through. Keep up the good work,

Kindest regards

Patrick
Thanks for the compliment. If you built the cage around the walkways, I would assume you didn't use brass. When I started out I was so tempted to use styrene tube, but I decided to see how the brass machining went. My cage wasn't perfect, but I pressed on. I will make the greebles on the walkways different from the Studio Model. I will be adding more cylindrical tanks, batteries and bolt-on kits for tools That an Eagle crew would need to survive and explore a planet.

Nick
TazMan2000

Old 07-12-2016, 12:16 AM   #46
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman2000 View Post
Are you going to use those leg pods for another Eagle? It would be nice to have one with a Laboratory Pod.
No, I won't use them. They are very heavy (one lump of resin) and actually have a bad split line around the centre. They are ok but will clean up better/easier if just made in to the cube with the details replaced after.

I will happily give them away but the postage will be expensive. Near 5kg all up; my leg pods came in at less than 400g each. I picked them up with the resin main feet - I thought I might use those but will machine some from acrylic or styrene.

Julian
Old 07-12-2016, 03:42 AM   #47
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

If I do make another Eagle, I will go another route and perhaps 3D print parts. I have a friend that designed an Eagle in 3D and I'm sure he'll allow me to use the file.
Raytheon also has printed several objects for his Eagle
I will first get the Frankenstein Eagle completed before committing to a 3D printer. The technology is still in its infancy and I want to make sure I get something reliable and with quality output at a reasonable price.
I have an AB models transport pod. It weighs a ton. It has a bit of a deformity in it that would make it sit uneven with the spine. I will try to correct it with a heat gun.

TazMan2000
Old 12-12-2016, 03:10 AM   #48
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Here are the landing pods mounted. The caps are just placed on and have yet to be secured. All that resin poured into the pods has significantly increased the weight. Once the whole model is assembled and finished I may have to reinforce the concrete floor in the basement in order to support this model.

TazMan2000
Old 24-02-2017, 05:52 AM   #49
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

After taking a bit of a break from this project, I am getting back into it. This time, I am going to attempt the engine fuel tanks. According to the blueprints, the cylinders are about 48.5 mm in diameter. I have some PVC pipe that will be perfect. The hemispheres on each side are about 44.5 mm in diameter which roughly converts to 1.75 inches. Plastruct.com has either 1.5 or 2 inch hemispheres. Does anyone know of a source that makes them in 1.75 inch? I'm planning on putting in a hexagonal threaded coupler in it so I could use a long screw to secure the aluminum engine bells to it. They would be removable if necessary. I will make one master and cast duplicates.

TazMan2000
Old 24-02-2017, 11:09 PM   #50
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Never mind. The search feature on the website didn't work properly. VHH-175.

TazMan2000

Old 23-08-2017, 03:14 AM   #51
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

It looks as if older posts are un-edittable, so to allow users to see what Photobucket took away, here is all the photos I posted a while back.

This project is still ongoing, and I hope to post some progress pics soon.

http://imgur.com/a/c1fHh

TazMan2000

Last edited by tazman2000; 23-08-2017 at 03:17 AM.
Old 23-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #52
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Good stuff; I have had an enforced break (other hobby - nothing serious) but am trying to get back on it as well.
Old 23-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #53
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhugger View Post
Good stuff; I have had an enforced break (other hobby - nothing serious) but am trying to get back on it as well.
That is great Julian. The Eagle definitely is a long project if done correctly (and perhaps even longer if done incorrectly, like mine...haha). Are you still using your CNC router to carve out stuff? I am thinking about purchasing one of your Transport Pod kits if they are still for sale. No rush.

TazMan2000
Old 10-09-2017, 12:52 AM   #54
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Its been a while since I made some good progress,
but here is the latest.

https://imgur.com/1sev0n9

https://imgur.com/6MvYmwa
A bolt secured each engine assembly together, which was glued in to prevent turning.

https://imgur.com/DvA2Nq2

The top and bottom engine assemblies were glued to the frame, but the left and right ones were only supported by the rear part of the engine cage, so needed additional support in the back. I drilled thought the frame and glued a brass pin into the left and right engine assemblies.

https://imgur.com/CIEUQJD
After, the support was built around them.

https://imgur.com/ELIbZOt

Adding the engine piping.

https://imgur.com/2YR1aHv

https://imgur.com/U0Helbd

Started on greeblying up the walkways. Obviously going way off the Studio Scale blueprints version.

https://imgur.com/LA6KF8w

Images not appearing. Not sure if its on my side, Imgur or this website, but added image links below each embedded image.

TazMan2000

Last edited by tazman2000; 10-09-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #55
Eureka
Forum Supporter

Nice work on the framework and engines, looking really good.
Eureka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-09-2017, 01:32 AM   #56
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

Thanks Eureka.

TazMan2000
Old 13-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #57
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Great stuff. Piping is neat.