Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 08-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
ChEeSyBoOfS
Alphan

Default My 1st Attempt At a Dinky Eagle 1999 Restoration

Hi Chaps,

Just wanted to share with you my 1st attempt at a Dinky Eagle Space 1999 restoration.

I will be selling this one on ebay later today so that I can do another one.

To start off with I purchased a 1974 model in quite good order. It was important to me that all the parts were as original and authentic as possible.

I then started by stripping down the model.

To drill the rivets out I 1st used a nail and hammer to mark the center of each rivet. I then used a very small drill to make a pilot hole. Followed by a drill just a bit smaller than the width of the rivet. Onces you drill down just a small way the rivets pull through. Then you can cut any burs off with a small pair of cutters. This was the bit I was dreading the most but was extremely easy to do. You shouldn’t be afraid to do the engine bells 1st then they won't get damaged when you do the engine tanks.

I then proceeded by then stripping off the paint with paint stripper. I used craftsman nitromors paint varnish & lacquer remover (13 B&Q)

The paint came off easy although the red engine tanks required a good 10 minute soaking.
I just used the lid of the paint remover to soak the parts in one at a time. By the side of the paint remover lid I had a big bucket full of hot soapy water. Once I had brushed off all the paint with an old toothbrush I just dropped the parts into the bucket one after the other.

To get rid of the paint striper I just dropped the lid into the bucket of hot soapy water (to dilute it) and then poured it down the drain outside.

To clean the top plastic part I just put it in the dishwasher.

I then left all the parts to dry overnight on kitchen roll.

The following day I spray painted all the white parts (even the screws) with VALSPAR PAINT & PRIMER IN ONE WHITE SATIN SPRAY PAINT 400 ML (13 from B&Q). I used some wooden kebab skewers to stand all of the parts up. I then poked the skewers into hole in a large block of wood. This seemed to cover really well and now dry seems quite strong. Masking tape does not pull it off!

Once dry came the hardest bit of the whole job, painting the cockpit windows. I learnt the hard way how to do this. I even re-stripped the cockpit at one point. For this I used VALSPAR BLACK SATIN SPRAY PAINT 400ML (9 B&Q). No matter what I did at 1st it would bleed under the tape and just looked crap. I finally cracked it. You basically have to build the paint up with the lightest of spray. You have to just spray 2 squirts and then leave it for 15 minutes and then come back and do the same. Never let the tape get wet!

Once the windows were done and I was happy I then went on to paint the detailing with HUMBROL ENAMEL MODEL PAINT 14ml, orange & black matt + gunmetal for the thrusters.

I did try to paint the doors white but the paint would just scrape off when closed so I ordered some white doors off of ebay from the states. When I do the next one I will just fix the doors shut and paint over them.

As you can see in the images I reused the original windows to maintain the detail and I also filled the rivet holes on the base of the command module. The model was then reassembled using super glue for the rear thrusters (although they were quite stiff to slide on anyway) and to glue on the engine tanks and the base of the command module.

I am quite pleased with the outcome. I don't think I have overdone it and I feel it remains true to the show.

I hope some of this may be useful to someone if at the very least inspire you to give it a go yourself.

Thanks
ChEeSyBoOfS

Last edited by ChEeSyBoOfS; 08-10-2016 at 04:00 PM.
ChEeSyBoOfS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
portland182
Astrophysics Technician

This is great work!
Well done.
Shame Dinky could never manage it...

Jim
portland182 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by portland182 View Post
This is great work!
Well done.
Shame Dinky could never manage it...

Jim
Agree, excellent results.
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #4
Eureka
Forum Supporter

Looking good.
I still have both of my eagles from when I was young.
I got them out of the loft a few weeks back. Both were very played with & one is currently sat on my desk after being stripped of paint and painted with grey primer.

Going to do both mine in white as I wont ever sell them & wished the green one was white which is why the freighter always got more play time with both pods.
Eureka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:09 AM   #5
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

I have the green one (well my brother took it and kept it), it was in bad shape. The 4 main engines section broke off years ago as well as some other small bits and there is some paint chipping. I recently found out that the white plastic spine is disintegrating. I'm not sure how the spine can be repaired.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #6
ChEeSyBoOfS
Alphan

Thanks for the feedback Fellas. Once this one is sold I'll be on the hunt to buy another. I think I might try and do the one with the red stripes on the pod "Eagle Rescue Pod" next.
ChEeSyBoOfS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, dinky, eagle, restoration, sale