Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #1
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Another Airfix Eagle upgrade.....

There seem to be quite a few of these upgrades on the go just now, so I thought I'd add my own to the mix. I've got 3 Airfix Eagles, two bought in 1975 and one in 1976, and an MPC one bought in 1998. Before and after photographs of the oldest one are attached - this has three coats of paint, the last being acrylic, and was definitely looking tatty, lumpy, inaccurate and unloved.

Upgrades:

Spine - detached, cut apart and narrowed, but not sanded to round off the inner straight edges, lower spars added - refitted to walkway modules
Landing gear - removed, new suspension fitted with detailing
Feet - cut off, raised square moulding removed and replaced with more accurate bars
Spherical tanks - detached from engine "ring", sanded till smooth, re-attached to
Newly fitted tail section spars
New pipework fitted to tanks
Baffles fitted inside engine bells

Left untouched (I just couldn't commit to the time it would all take)

Walkway sections
Command Module
Shoulder pods

I'm pleased with the overall look and I'm hoping that, once primed, painted and weathered, the old lady will look more like the studio models. Apart from paint and some plastic strip, I am spending no money on these refits. I'm stretching sprues over a candle flame to make thin pipework, and using sprue for the spars in the spine and the tail section.

I love these old Eagles - I love too the fact that I'm getting closer to the way they should have looked forty years ago!!!

Kindest regards

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AIRFIX EAGLE OCT 1.jpg (109.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg AIRFIX EAGLE OCT 3.jpg (114.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg AIRFIX EAGLE OCT 2.jpg (100.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg AIRFIX EAGLE OCT 4.jpg (101.1 KB, 64 views)
pfleming@jbt.co.uk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Galligraphics
Travel Tube Technician

Great stuff - I'm looking forward to see how these come out.
Can I ask you what you used for the rocket nozzles under the freight pod- and maybe some separate views of it? I'm feeling inspired...
Galligraphics is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Everything you were a freighter ask....

Hi Galligraphics, good to hear from you and thanks for your interest. See attached photos of my Freight Carrier: very rudimentary and cobbled together from all sorts.

Plastic card for the base, some old sprue cut and glued onto the underside for some detailing. Sprue and plastic card for the legs and feet, some old hexagonal section sprue for the frames. I fitted some tabs onto the sides of the frames which clip onto the spacers on the end of the walkways, either side of the access door – they work perfectly and don’t detract too much from the overall look of the Carrier.

I had an idea to build winch housings like the ones seen in “Breakaway” which I could then place on the deck of the Carrier, so I cut a square floor section in the centre of the floor through which a cable could hang (effectively one Carrier could then perform one of two functions). Not done any more on this aspect.

You asked about the bells on the underside – Poundland used to sell Chinese Chequer sets with 32 multi-coloured conical playing pieces, made out of styrene. I cut four of them down and glued them into place. In truth, they’re slightly bigger than the bells supplied with the kit, but I chose to use the “base” of the playing pieces because they have the flared collar like the kit. If I wanted something with a narrower radius, I’d cut the cones further up towards the pointed end.

I’ve got some spool caps from correction tape devices which double up as Nuclear Waste Containers, but they’re not the finished article. Overall I was pleased with the Carrier's grimy, used look which, to be honest, wasn’t that difficult to create. Hope you get some ideas from this,

Kindest regards
Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FREIGHT CARRIER 1.jpg (107.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg FREIGHT CARRIER 2.jpg (107.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg FREIGHT CARRIER 3.jpg (125.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg FREIGHT CARRIER 4.jpg (92.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #4
Galligraphics
Travel Tube Technician

Default Inspiration

Thanks Patrick - that's really helpful.
I think your freight/pallet module is very convincing and I'm just going to have to have a go at building one for my old Airfix eagle...

Chinese checkers pieces! Brilliant bit of lateral thinking and they look spot on as rocket engines. I'm going to have a rummage around in the loft as I'm sure there are some old games up there which may yield something suitable... Ludo, perhaps...

Cheers,
Nigel
Old 04-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Prime suspect.....

So here's my original Eagle 1, 1975 vintage, stripped back and upgraded. Omitted to say last time round that I'd fitted the brackets which connect the walkways to the spine, complete with tiny plastic sprue dots to represent the bolt heads. I've also fitted the baffles and, simply by filling the old senser recesses on the Command Module with plastic padding and then sanding, plus a small disc in the centres.

Please excuse the poor quality photographs, but you'll get the idea. It's taken weeks to get to this stage, and I know some folk will say "why bother?" but I'm pleased with the essential Eagle look. Thanks for stopping by,

Kindest regards

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eagle AIRFIX 031116 1.jpg (110.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Eagle AIRFIX 031116 2.jpg (115.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Eagle AIRFIX 031116 3.jpg (111.5 KB, 30 views)

Old 04-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
Galligraphics
Travel Tube Technician

Looking good - I love seeing what can be made of these old kits.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Dettol delight.....

Weekend update: Eagle 1 in white undercoat and already looking the best she's done in decades - crisp and tidy, what a difference! Pictures to follow.
The second Eagle was proving difficult to sand, what with acrylic on top of Humbrol enamel, so I read up on paint removal and went for the 50/50 Dettol / water mixture, immersed the parts......and 24 hours later, my goodness, what an amazing result.

If you've not tried it, the paint comes off in a horrible slimy fashion, which sticks to your fingers. But it's right back to the plastic - how does that work?!!? Apologies if you all knew about this already, and been using it for years, but bear in mind I have a lot of catching up to do (I'm also going round supermarkets looking for Pledge Multi-Surface Wax).

Anyway, I'll post more pictures soon, but what fun I've had!

Kindest regards

Patrick
Old 07-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #8
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

I use Mr Muscle oven cleaner as a paint stripper and yes its a horrible gunk that comes off Don't get too obsessive about the Pledge stuff, its nothing more than a cheap alternative to expensive varnishes, its not some magic potion that some people try to claim! I think Robert Dyas has it
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #9
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldman View Post
I use Mr Muscle oven cleaner as a paint stripper and yes its a horrible gunk that comes off Don't get too obsessive about the Pledge stuff, its nothing more than a cheap alternative to expensive varnishes, its not some magic potion that some people try to claim! I think Robert Dyas has it
Agreed...it's also not calded Pledge Multi Surface wax in the UK anymore and I have never ever seen it on a supermarket shelf, although some have reported getting it in Asda. I've tried all the main supermarket chains to no avail, only option seems to be E:bay. It's really best used on clear parts like canopies as it gives them depth. I wouldn't bother on anything apart from clear parts.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #10
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Clear instructions.....

Thanks Boldman and Slate - that's why the ETF is still so vital, in my humble opinion, because I can't ever see me going on Facecloth to find all this stuff out. Your comments and advice are most welcome.

Kindest regards

Patrick

Old 16-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #11
Scifitodd
Forum Supporter

Good looking eagle mods Patrick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scifitodd is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #12
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Bits and pieces.....

Thanks to all who've responded recently - whether positive comments or much-needed advice, it's all welcome. Apologies for the shocking state of my work area, but here's pictures of a second stripped Eagle, in bits, and smelling strongly of Dettol and white spirit (complaints from the rest of the family on this front). For some reason I used epoxy adhesive to assemble this old girl forty years ago, and some of the plastic's definitely the worse for wear.

You'll notice that one side of the spine has snapped in two, but the saving grace is that the spine sections aren't rounded: they have a square edge on the inner side. This has allowed me to shave some of the spine on the inside, and glue plastic card as a kind of "splint". The good news is that all my repair work will be hidden when the spines are glued back onto the tops of the walkway modules.

In other news, you'll hopefully see that I've detached the Command Module from the front bulkhead, closed up the hole in the bulkhead and built up the rear of the Command Module. It's a lot of detailing for a part of the ship, most of which will be hidden under the front spar of the spine, and by the securing latches which will be fitted on either side.

Although it's a lot of work, I am actually really enjoying it - these are kits which I put together as best I could in my teens. Stripping right back to the plastic, filling, sanding and preparing, using spray paint instead of brushed
and so on makes the whole process really satisfying. Mind you, I'm a long way from completion. Anyway, thanks for stopping by, more soon,

Kindest regards

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EAGLE BITS AND PIECES NOV 2016 2.jpg (128.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 21-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #13
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

You should see my work bench, I can never find a thing.
The other day during a clearout I came across my old Airfix eagle which was in bits and I actually threw it out. In hindsite perhaps I shouldn't have since it was a connection with my younger days, ah well too late now.
Making anything is always satisfying as at the end of the day you can say 'I built that' so keep on going Patrick, I'll look forward to the finished ship.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #14
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default Cut and Shunt Eagle!

I'd have bought that off you too Malcolm - the Eagle's modular design means I could have used it for spares, repairs and conversions. I take it yours had no current MOT or tax anyway?

Hope you enjoyed your time in Scotland, I will see you on your own thread later.

Kindest regards

Patrick
Old 01-12-2016, 11:51 AM   #15
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default It's been Cartered!!

During my usual 30 minutes at 10 pm with my pet project, I paused for a moment, took some of the second Eagle's components and made a Boy Racer Eagle for Alan. I reckon the power/weight ratio wouldn't be any worse. Personally I prefer the six-legged version without the pod. What does anybody else think??

(Don't worry, it's not a permanent arrangement........)

Kindest regards

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOY RACER EAGLE 1.jpg (111.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg BOY RACER EAGLE 2.jpg (122.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg BOY RACER EAGLE 3.jpg (113.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg BOY RACER EAGLE 4.jpg (111.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg BOY RACER EAGLE 5.jpg (116.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg BOY RACER EAGLE 6.jpg (118.1 KB, 28 views)

Old 01-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #16
KevinD
Communications Officer

Clever and surely somebody would've done it if they could've bought some surplus Eagles from Alpha's parent company.
KevinD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:12 AM   #17
tazman2000
Travel Tube Technician

I think the evenly spaced landing pods look cool.

TazMan2000
tazman2000 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #18
Crimson Binome
Communications Officer

That is very FAB in appearance Patrick - is that Starcruiser engines ?
Crimson Binome is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #19
pfleming@jbt.co.uk
Communications Officer

Default More room up top....

Good question, Mr Binome, but nothing so fancy (or rare). When I vigorously dipped my second Eagle's walkway / engine section in my sawn-off 2 litre juice bottle of diluted Dettol, one of the engines and its bell just snapped off. The Alpha pilots had obviously been running about with this defect for a while - if they'd been stopped by the Space Police, they'd have thrown the book at them.

Anyway, all you can see is the normal Eagle tail section with another three engines perched on top. It'll never fly, I tell you.....

Kindest regards

Patrick
Old 08-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #20
Sentry1
Waste Technician

Definitely going to need some boy racer stripes on it I think!

Angie
Sentry1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote