Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-11-2016, 09:41 PM   #1
swhite40
Travel Tube Technician

Default Round 2 44inch Eagle a possability

Usual discussion of a 23" Replicas Unlimited kit on Ebay with the usual reply "We need this in plastic" type response and discussion till Jamie Hood from Round 2 post this:
"I'll tell you what, if you can get 5000 people to comment on this post (not total posts or shares or anything like that) but just one comment from 5000 unique individuals that say they would put up a $200 down payment right now towards a $400 44" Eagle kit, I would see that as cause enough to run a crowdfunding campaign to get that done. 2500 people saying they would take two won't count. We need to know the funnel is big because we know from experience some won't follow through. 5000 people."

If your interested the link to the post is here;
https://www.facebook.com/groups/space1999propsandships/
swhite40 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:42 AM   #2
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

I wouldn't be surprised to see it. Wouldn't object but I'd like to see other 99 subjects too.

On a separate point - why don't those guys post on here a proper site instead of Facebook?
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #3
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

There is another thread about this here:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...d.php?t=161848

As for why people post on FB rather than here - that FB group has over 5000 members now and FB generally has millions of members. To join a group on FB is much easier than to sign up to another forum. Its also easier to find FB groups when in FB wheras how many of those people even know this forum exists? Its all about getting eyes on the subject and FB has over the years spent an incredible amount of effort in brand recognition so "everyone" knows what FB is.
Boldman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #4
Eureka
Forum Supporter

I have a facebook account but it gets used for very limited things & it can be weeks or longer between visits.

This is one of the occasions where a visit to facebook was needed.
Eureka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

Sadly this appears to have been quashed by the Space:1999 license holder since Sixteen 12 hold the license for the 44" Eagle

https://www.facebook.com/groups/spac...2556972960997/

Old 04-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
Eureka
Forum Supporter

That's a shame as a 44" Eagle would be nice but not sure where I would put it.

Suppose it still could be a possibility as the license has to expire at some point.
Eureka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Everyone seems to be blaimg the licence issue on Sixteen 12, but its far more likely the real issue is with Rogue Studio's 44 inch Eagle as that is available in kit form.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

It could be but even then it's mixed media and not a plastic kit. I think it'll probably happen at some point as the fact they're even discussing it shows they've been thinking strongly about it. It's just a matter of upscaling the 22 inch and of course the modular nature of the Eagle probably cuts the costs a lot.

I want to see other 99 subjects first though.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #9
swhite40
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Mcleod View Post
Everyone seems to be blaimg the licence issue on Sixteen 12, but its far more likely the real issue is with Rogue Studio's 44 inch Eagle as that is available in kit form.
Rogue Studios gave up the 44" Eagle license a while ago after fighting it out with another company over who had the right to produce the 44" ship. They've moved on and are making studio scale Falcons from Star Wars now.
swhite40 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #10
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite40 View Post
Rogue Studios gave up the 44" Eagle license a while ago after fighting it out with another company over who had the right to produce the 44" ship. They've moved on and are making studio scale Falcons from Star Wars now.
I didn't know that. that is a real shame after all the work those guys had put in.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2016, 01:39 AM   #11
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boldman View Post
There is another thread about this here:

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...d.php?t=161848

As for why people post on FB rather than here - that FB group has over 5000 members now and FB generally has millions of members. To join a group on FB is much easier than to sign up to another forum. Its also easier to find FB groups when in FB wheras how many of those people even know this forum exists? Its all about getting eyes on the subject and FB has over the years spent an incredible amount of effort in brand recognition so "everyone" knows what FB is.

Good points but they must surely have come across this forum. I think it's every Eagle fans duty to sign up to a site called Eagletransporter.

Incredible though if that group has over 5000 members but I can't help being sceptical it's that many.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #12
Boldman
Eagle Pilot

You are entirely at liberty to be sceptical but why would I lie about something like that?
Just because it doesn't conform to your prejudices of the "worthlessness" of Facebook, there is no need to be that dismissive.

That is a very presumptuous statement - why should anyone have a "duty" to sign up to this forum if they didn't want to? What makes you think this forum is any more special than a fan page on Facebook?

Not wishing to be rude but I've found that there is a thread of elitism on this forum - I posted a build of the 22" Round 2 kit but it attracted hardly any comments from others until I made a sarcastic comment about the lack of posts. To me it seems that if it isn't a scratch build, people on this forum aren't interested... a build of "just a kit" is beneath them and the arrogant attitude you've shown in your post seems to go along with my feelings.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #13
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

Don't do Facebook nor do I care to- this site provides me with information and advice for the 1000/Anderson realm just fine.

I have one of the 22" kits and I am looking forward to building it- with some customization since it is in styrene. While I do have a 1:48 Hawk garage kit it is still unbuilt just because I do not care for resin kits that much. At times resin is the only way to get some subjects and though I can assemble them I just do not like them as much as styrene. I am old school (58+) and rather set in my ways- I have built styrene kits since the 60's and can really make that medium dance (still use Testor's gel glue as well).
I do love seeing the giant Eagles in mixed media posted on this forum- done right you get a fantastic replica. The 22" Round 2 kit is very well done and after having to live with that horrible MPC kit for so many years (never opened up the cages on mine) it is wonderful to have an accurate representation of this iconic ship.

Even if the 44" R2 kits was released I would not have the money of space for it so I have no dog in this hunt. I don't care too much for their crowdfunding approach to marketing- something they have played around with before and I am sure we will see again.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #14
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
You are entirely at liberty to be sceptical but why would I lie about something like that?
Just because it doesn't conform to your prejudices of the "worthlessness" of Facebook, there is no need to be that dismissive.

That is a very presumptuous statement - why should anyone have a "duty" to sign up to this forum if they didn't want to? What makes you think this forum is any more special than a fan page on Facebook?

Not wishing to be rude but I've found that there is a thread of elitism on this forum - I posted a build of the 22" Round 2 kit but it attracted hardly any comments from others until I made a sarcastic comment about the lack of posts. To me it seems that if it isn't a scratch build, people on this forum aren't interested... a build of "just a kit" is beneath them and the arrogant attitude you've shown in your post seems to go along with my feelings.

Boldman I'm not saying you're lying at all. I know you're only repeating what you've seen or heard but I'm sure I read a while back that the amount of friends or members etc can be exaggerated on Facebook. And I was being a bit jokey when I said about the duty to sign up on here.

As for the elitism thing well whether it's elitist or not I'm not sure but I do see your point about scratchbuilding which seem to attract more comments.

And I don't know whether you've noticed but I did actually praise your build so I'm surprised you're calling my post arrogant.
Old 15-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #15
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

Quote:
To me it seems that if it isn't a scratch build, people on this forum aren't interested...
Not so sure about that - I am (admittedly very slowly) scratching a 44" and I; apart from one or two people, talk to myself here. Not so different to my life in the real world (unless that is also a matrix like simulation - Elon Musk et al.) The same happens on Facebook - it must be me!..

I will say; the site is great, if I hadn't of stumbled on it I would not be scratching the said 44 or probably not even model making. Thanks for that.

Last edited by moonhugger; 15-11-2016 at 10:15 PM.
moonhugger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #16
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhugger View Post
Not so sure about that - I am (admittedly very slowly) scratching a 44" and I; apart from one or two people, talk to myself here. No so different to my life in the real world (unless that is also a matrix like simulation - Elon Musk et al.) The same happens on Facebook - it must be me!..

I will say; the site is great, if I hadn't of stumbled on it I would not be scratching the said 44 or probably not even model making. Thanks for that.

I think Boldman might have a good point as I noticed when the Round 2 Eagle was announced that a large proportion of this site didn't seem that interested. Obviously it isn't the case with you but I think some people weren't pleased to see a new 22inch injection kit and if we ever get a 44 inch.

I find it hard to believe any Eagle fan wouldn't want an all new injection kit but some people do have a bit of an elitist atitude that if you haven't scratchbuilt something you're not a proper modeller [ which is rubbish of course ]. And of course some people who sell larger scale Eagles might not be too pleased to see it either.
Old 15-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #17
moonhugger
Forum Supporter

I don't think we should split hairs; the whole business is elitist. If doing a 44"; blimey it had better be brass, oh and by the way k&s isn't right, it isn't the correct wall thickness
Old 16-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #18
Scifitodd
Forum Supporter

Hi guys, I just stumbled on this thread. Wow, lots of good stuff here. Ok, I run the FB group Space 1999 Props & Ships and it's a great place. I used to post here a lot but it seemed that I never got much of a response from anyone, especially when I announced the 22" eagle, it just died off. I love this place because of it's history and it's full of information. The folks who still post here are fantastic members, some moved to the ASA forum due to conflicts but both places are a wealth of knowledge. I took what I learned from here and started the P&S group to get the word out for Space 1999 so we could get more model kits resin and styrene produced. I think it's worked pretty good so far. I will do better at posting here more if you guys prefer. I do like the way forums work as far as threads rather the FB scrolling posts, finding a post from a few days back is murder. I'm always available to answer messages so if you have info or need info hit me up. I do have a working relationship with Round2 Jamie Hood but he limits what I can release and when. I do know he is working hard on some cool kits to be released soon. With that said I have a friend Harold Wolfe who is building a completely Plastic (styrene) 44" eagle and it's for real. I'm going to post here so you can follow along, it's really strong and it will be at the Alpha 2017 convention and WonderFest next year. So check the photo's I'm going to post and see what you think. Also the Round2 44" eagle is dead (for now) because Sixteen12 has the license at the moment but to produce 800 eagles in 44" and sell them for $3500 each is damn near crazy in my honest opinion. So after they fall flat on their face look for Round2 to be asked to do it. My opinion only!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scifitodd is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #19
Scifitodd
Forum Supporter

More of the styrene 44" eagle........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 16-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #20
Scifitodd
Forum Supporter

Check the progress out on the styrene 44" eagle by Harold........