Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #1
Sky1Driver
Hydroponics Technician

Default PLANET OF THE APES spacecraft

Hi, guys!
Jonathan E. did a color schematic of the Liberty One, the spaceship from the classic film PLANET OF THE APES (and one of my all-time favorites). I updated it, basing it on a number of recent sources dealing with the full size prop. Here are some of them:
1.) Omitted the “reentry engines” often seen in other fan drawings. These two huge engines, according to set drawings don’t or can’t exist. Using designs based on the Gemini program (one of its inspirations), the “maneuvering rockets” that flank the craft can separate it from the main spacecraft, and also serve as the retro rockets for reentry. Look at such rockets for Mercury, Gemini and the Apollo programs and they are not that big. The craft would be flying tail first after separation, fire its engines to break it, and then flip over so the nose is pointing forward for reentry (like the space shuttle).
2.) Enlarged the “maneuvering rockets” that flank the craft. Home movies by the late Roddy McDowall of the Fox backlot (its on YouTube and discussed on the RPF: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php...e=2&styleid=28) show the prop with them. The engine bells can be seen. You don’t see them when the ship is sinking at Lake Powell. I believe they were built, but not attached to the full size prop for that scene.
3.) The rear of the craft is based on a pic of the aft bulkhead of the interior set. I kept it simple to reflect the design philosophy at Fox at the time (ie: LOST IN SPACE, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, etc. pre-Star Wars) and the lack of information available.
Yes, the ship lacks yaw and pitch thrusters over its body. Something many fans have pointed out. This drawing is based on the full-scale prop and I tried to improvise as little as possible.
I created the variant of the Liberty spacecraft that appeared later and in the television series (before it got heat scarred from reentry).
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg POTA_Liberty1corrected ver.3.jpg (158.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg POTA_Liberty1corrected ver.4 copy.jpg (180.6 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Sky1Driver; 10-02-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Sky1Driver is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:47 PM   #2
KevinD
Communications Officer

Timely, I'm scratchbuilding one at the moment!
KevinD is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #3
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

I loved the A.N.S.A. Liberty spaceships too.

In case you do not know, here is an excellent PLANET OF THE APES site:
http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/tableofcontents.html

Sad ending to the prop that should be instead in a film museum:
http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/billritchiefate.html
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
Sky1Driver
Hydroponics Technician

I found that website, and it got me interested in updating Jonathan E's drawing. Also was one of my sources of information when researching it.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:32 PM   #5
Sky1Driver
Hydroponics Technician

Here is a picture of the aft bulkhead of the interior set from the Planet of the Apes wiki.

In digging this picture up, I realized that I had to correct the door in back of the ship. So here is the corrected drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg POTA_Liberty1corrected ver.3 copy copy.jpg (177.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg pota door.jpg (95.1 KB, 42 views)

Old 11-02-2017, 01:19 AM   #6
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

Nice to see the Liberty One variants. I'm never happy having large engine bells on a ship were you can see that there are no propellant or oxidiser tanks. I was working with the reference i had at the time. I always preferred the version from 'Escape' and the TV series, as i always saw the Liberty One as an unpowered re-entry vehicle.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:29 AM   #7
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

I always loved the Planet of the Apes spaceship. I have a model of it. Someone figured out if you extend the rear of the ship by about 5 feet, you can fit the entire interior set in the exterior full size prop. Even then there is the problem that some people place engine nozzles on the rear wall which there is no space inside to place the engines. I take the approach of solving this problem by extended the rear by another ~ 5 feet so that the left and right sides of the rear have space for an interior engine and the middle I place an airlock (which makes sense).

You run into the same problems with the Escape/tv series version. For the first episode of the tv series, they built the interior set which had no forward wall (which has the windows). You can see where the left side door is in relation to the control panel and the space between the door and the window. On the exterior the flip open door is very close to the left window, in the interior the space between the door and the window is wider and with a circle light mounted in that space. You would have to increase the space between the window and the door on the exterior in order to make the interior fit the exterior.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
Jonathan E
Medical Technician

If i remember correctly, the interior of the TV version is also very confined, much like an Apollo command module.
Jonathan E is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #9
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Designer View Post
I always loved the Planet of the Apes spaceship. I have a model of it. Someone figured out if you extend the rear of the ship by about 5 feet, you can fit the entire interior set in the exterior full size prop. Even then there is the problem that some people place engine nozzles on the rear wall which there is no space inside to place the engines. I take the approach of solving this problem by extended the rear by another ~ 5 feet so that the left and right sides of the rear have space for an interior engine and the middle I place an airlock (which makes sense).

You run into the same problems with the Escape/tv series version. For the first episode of the tv series, they built the interior set which had no forward wall (which has the windows). You can see where the left side door is in relation to the control panel and the space between the door and the window. On the exterior the flip open door is very close to the left window, in the interior the space between the door and the window is wider and with a circle light mounted in that space. You would have to increase the space between the window and the door on the exterior in order to make the interior fit the exterior.
Agree.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #10
Sky1Driver
Hydroponics Technician

That old bugaboo when the exterior does not match the interior. Reminds me of the Lunar Module from UFO.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #11
KevinD
Communications Officer

It doesn't seem likely that the tv version would have had engines in the way we think of them anyway, Virdon, Burke and Jones were some 4 light years from Earth when they ran into trouble yet arrived back in a very short time. They must have had some sort of exotic drive system that probably wouldn't need engine bells?
Old 12-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #12
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
It doesn't seem likely that the tv version would have had engines in the way we think of them anyway, Virdon, Burke and Jones were some 4 light years from Earth when they ran into trouble yet arrived back in a very short time. They must have had some sort of exotic drive system that probably wouldn't need engine bells?
Agree, I think that Virdon/Burke/Jones A.N.S.A. spaceship was much more advanced than Taylor's A.N.S.A. spaceship or Brent's A.N.S.A. spaceship because no cryogenics/suspened animation beds were needed aboard Virdon/Burke/Jones A.N.S.A. spaceship. Maybe FTL drive, fold-space or a Star Trek style warp-drive where no engine bells are needed:
http://www.goingfaster.com/icarus/qvirdonwarp.htm
Old 13-02-2017, 02:28 AM   #13
Tech_Designer
Travel Tube Technician

It was a given that each of the ships was connected to a tail section that housed the main engine drive and was (possibly) jettisoned when the ship did it's reentry and landed. Skipper's/Brent's ship still had it connected when it crashed. You can argue whether Taylor's ship still had it connected (I do) when it crashed (splashed?) into the water.

The one thing I don't get is why they took the full scale ship prop from Planet and Beneath and chop the end off and changed it (adding the heat shield and the side door hatch). I could not find any explanation on this. I did find some info awhile back that talked about the Lake Powell filming and it stated that there was an inner wall not far from the windows (about 3 feet or so) where the 3 actors waited and crawled through the escape tunnel and out the hatch and jumped into the water. When you look at the tv pilot photos with the hatch door opened, it looks like a blank wall close to the hatch door opening. I'm wondering if this was that inner wall and this was the reason that the full scale prop was cut down to the spot.

Last edited by Tech_Designer; 13-02-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Tech_Designer is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #14
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_Designer View Post
It was a given that each of the ships was connected to a tail section that housed the main engine drive and was (possibly) jettisoned when the ship did it's reentry and landed. Skipper's/Brent's ship still had it connected when it crashed. You can argue whether Taylor's ship still had it connected (I do) when it crashed (splashed?) into the water.

The one thing I don't get is why they took the full scale ship prop from Planet and Beneath and chop the end off and changed it (adding the heat shield and the side door hatch). I could not find any explanation on this. I did find some info awhile back that talked about the Lake Powell filming and it stated that there was an inner wall not far from the windows (about 3 feet or so) where the 3 actors waited and crawled through the escape tunnel and out the hatch and jumped into the water. When you look at the tv pilot photos with the hatch door opened, it looks like a blank wall close to the hatch door opening. I'm wondering if this was that inner wall and this was the reason that the full scale prop was cut down to the spot.
Maybe it was cut down simply for ESCAPE FROM THE POTA(1971) so they could successfully film the opening scene of it floating in the Pacific Ocean and being recovered on the beach. Maybe they had problems in the Lake scene from POTA(1968 ) with it being longer. I would definitely like to know too.
Old 13-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #15
skiffy
Communications Officer

I had to give this a go - especially using those wonderful plans. Just a bit of fun.

skiffy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #16
Richard Baker
Eagle Pilot

For the ship to be shown sinking in Lake Powell there needs to be a sizable portion underwater other wise it would not be angled up out of the water as much.

That for me is the brilliance of the design. We are given multiple shots of a very interesting nose section but the rest of the ship is in our imaginations.
Richard Baker is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #17
badsimmonds
Eagle Pilot

I have always loved this ship in all its versions.
I would like to build a model of this one day but that day seems to just move further away.
A great design, simple and elegant.
badsimmonds is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 10:05 PM   #18
Brisfx
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
Timely, I'm scratchbuilding one at the moment!
Hey Kevin

How big is your scratchbuild??
Brisfx is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #19
KevinD
Communications Officer

Hi, the one I'm making is about 30cm long. I've no space for anything bigger!
Old 20-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #20
KevinD
Communications Officer

Finished it now, here it is..

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...120#post406120