Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 16-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
mimrie
Waste Technician

Default 3D Printed Bits

The arrival of my 3D printer coincided with me realising that Big Chief were producing 1/6th scale replicas and prompted me to think about whether it was possible to produce accessories at that scale. As a proof of concept I have put together this model of Dr Beakers console from Supercar.
The model is 'as is' straight off the printer and held together with blue-tac, the wire pieces are just solder; I have yet to experiment with paint finishes but LEDs look great in the lights and I plan to motorise the antenna.

I was thinking of suitable items for the Big Chief replicas; the obvious ones are the TB1 pilot chair and the mobile control unit for Scott.

Mick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BeakersDesk.jpg (46.4 KB, 33 views)
mimrie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
Eureka
Forum Supporter

That is very nice work.
One of the reasons I have held back on getting a 3d printer myself is the print quality that most seem to produce.

Yours is superb what printer are you using?
Eureka is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #3
mimrie
Waste Technician

I am using an Anycubic 3D I3 Mega Ultrabase printer which I bought from Gearbest for under 300 (a clone of the Prusa I3 printers). I chose it because of the very positive user reviews and the low price point. The only issue I have had with it is achieving a level print surface across the whole print base and am in discussion with the company about remedies for this but it is a known problem with these machines.

My main interest is 3D modeling; I have done no 'real world' modeling other than Airfix kits as a child. I am sure there are better/more efficient ways to construct flat panel surfaces like Beakers Desk but I don't currently have any of those skills. The knobs, dials and lights etc would, I imagine be more be more diffficult to make via conventional modeling.

At 1/6th scale the small parts are close to the limit of the resolution of the printer; the next step up would be to use an SLA printer but they have their own problems (toxic resin, price (though rapidly decreasing)).

Mick.

PS : I've just realised that this thread is in the wrong forum, many apologies for that.
mimrie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote