&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-10-2006, 03:49 AM   #1
Neal
Astrophysics Technician

Default Cybrary mirror

Does anyone have the contents of the Cybrary site available, as in

http://cgi.ebay.com/Space-1999-Silve...:B:SRCH:US:101

? I'd be happy to make it available as an online mirror for the community, if I can get a copy of it.

Neal
Neal is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
martin
Medical Technician

Robert Ruiz wouldn't be too happy if you did put up a mirror.
I think the Italian and possibly American conventions can sell CDs of the site to raise money, with Rob's permission.
martin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 02:55 AM   #3
Neal
Astrophysics Technician

That's a shame. Strikes me as an odd position to take on media that was formerly freely accessible on the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin
Robert Ruiz wouldn't be too happy if you did put up a mirror.
I think the Italian and possibly American conventions can sell CDs of the site to raise money, with Rob's permission.
Old 30-10-2006, 03:14 AM   #4
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Thing is, most of the copyright probably belongs to Robert.

The Eagle Transporter main site is 'freely available' (to view) - but it remains my copyright (except where stated). etc. In the 'Public Domain', whatever that means, doesn't mean public property. If someone mirrored it without permission - I'd be pretty p*ssed.

Your intentions were honourable though, so no biggie.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 04:40 AM   #5
Neal
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Thing is, most of the copyright probably belongs to Robert.

The Eagle Transporter main site is 'freely available' (to view) - but it remains my copyright (except where stated). etc. In the 'Public Domain', whatever that means, doesn't mean public property. If someone mirrored it without permission - I'd be pretty p*ssed.

Your intentions were honourable though, so no biggie.
I don't wish to start a debate on the nature of copyright. My thoughts were along the lines of The Wayback Machine ( http://web.archive.org ), which faithfully reproduces a huge amount of copyrighted material that is no longer available at its original web-sites. Granted, with some small effort it's possible to opt out of that archive, if you've decided to withdraw your material as permanently as possible from the web. I wasn't aware Robert had made such a decision.

Old 30-10-2006, 05:21 AM   #6
CR
Science Officer

I have that cd, but only because I paid the premium price to get it (along with a t-shirt, mug and program/event guidebook) before the convention took place. It was the only was I could enjoy the convention, since I could not attend it myself.
As for The Cybrary, that was one of the first S:99 sites I discovered after first venturing onto the Internet. (The other was The Catacombs.) The Cybrary was pulled shortly after I found out about it, but I was very happy that its contents were available on the cd. Been a while since I've looked at it, since I hang around here and at The Catacombs so much.

Though it might not bother me too much, some other people who paid for the cd might not be happy with its contents being freely available. Then again, I see your point about the material having been freely available in the first place. Kind of a frustrating conundrum!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
sliuman
Forum Supporter

The Cybrary was one of the first sites I ever bookmarked when I found the "Net".

I even tried to get a CD when Robert Ruiz announced the Cybrary was coming down. As I remember, I never heard back or maybe I never followed up. Either way I missed out...

All we can hope is the site comes back one day (doubtful) or the CD is offered again (even more doubtful).
sliuman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Rob sort of suffered from burn out with it brought on mostly by the bazillion emails he got every day from people too lazy to look for the information that was on the site. He enjoyed it but eventually just wanted to claim his life back. He's still around and contributes to some of the mailing lists.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #9
CR
Science Officer

For what it's worth, he has my thanks for the work he did, and for his help keeping the torch lit during those years.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote