Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default Product Enterprise 23" Studio Scale Eagle - Mods

With the release of the Product Enterprise 23" Studio Scale Eagle now imminent, what are everyone's plans for modifications (if any)?

If you've not seen it before, there's some images here of the new Eagle Transporter.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
w8cmp
Science Officer

New aluminium engine bells...and nose sensors.

You'd better get a stock of these in Jim

Then a paint job (or just remove the weathering if the paint is white enough underneath), new decals (including Chris T's letraset details), possibly remove the 'coffins' from the roof of the corridors...etc etc

You could probably do a lot more too...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 01:42 PM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The single biggest improvement for the least pain has to be a paint job IMO. Ali engine bells come a close second.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
shrugger
Eagle Pilot

My eyes really bug me when I look at it-

-Just can't see getting one.
shrugger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 02:22 PM   #5
TonyB
Science Officer

I might look at the weathering aspect and replacement of the decals, not sure about going any further than that with mine, I will need to give it some more thought when the thing is sat in front of me, or when I have seen some pictures of what you lot have done with yours.

I am a bit reluctant to do to much in the way of alterations to the model until I am 100% completly sure that I will be keeping it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
gogs100
Life Support Technician

I'll be replacing the engine bells. The rear ones look easy enough (presumably screwed in place) but what about the ones underneath ? The pics ive seen show no sign of a screw. Any idea how theyre held in place ?
gogs100 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2005, 08:57 PM   #7
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Glue most likely.

I prefer it that anyway - do you get 2ft-wide screws in a space craft?...

Welcome on board, btw.
Old 30-10-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
gogs100
Life Support Technician

thx. I may just leave them then. Still, i already have the bells and it would be a shame to waste them. Oh i dunno now. The quote the great Chuck Heston " Damn them, damn the all to ... etc, etc"
gogs100 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:27 PM   #9
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Seeing that I'm just a lowly Aphan bog cleaner, was considering changing the framework to brass, although the price tag seems to be discouraging me to embark on such major surgery. Although a brass framwork would make for a sturdier model as well as allow for the removal of the passenger pod. Having seen the supposed production test shot model at Comet, I certainly echo the need for a repaint, especially the anti-glare black as there is a bit of overspray there.

Got to go, moon bogs are backed up again.
LazyEagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:15 PM   #10
Eagle
Commander Ret.

It's actually Nuclear Waste Technician - but I can put you on toilet duties if you like?
Old 02-11-2005, 10:41 AM   #11
LazyEagle
Computer Technician

Oh is it? I was hoping to graduate to Alphan window cleaner, wanted to don that orange suit and moonwalk over to scrape all that moondust from the viewing ports.

Ahh to be an Eagle Pilot one day......
LazyEagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:50 AM   #12
CelticNut
Medical Technician

I'd definitely "light it up!" Showing the pilots within was one of the quickest ways to establish scale on the show. I'd like to see the cockpit lights on and maybe even a couple of "running lights," discreetly placed but obvious. Perhaps something to give it a real-world feel. Just an idea. Let me see... is it green for starboard or red?
CelticNut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #13
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Should be easy enough to do I suppose.

What about the issue of devalueing the piece?...

What are peoples' thoughts?:

It will add value
It will decrease value
It will decrease value initially
This thing'll never be really collectable...

Old 06-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #14
TonyB
Science Officer

An avid hardened collector would definately say that you have defaced and devalued the piece, as it is not now in the factory issued condition demanded by some of the hard core collectors, so that is worth considering before doing anything with them, if you are perhaps thinking that you may not be keeping your model.

However, if you are keeping it, or a collector wants something a bit different to the norm, then what does it matter how many chnges/improvemnets that you make to it.

I suppose it all depends on your viewpoint and what you want to do with the thing. What I want to do with mine is sneak it in the house without my missus seeing it, What are the chances of that then.

Thank the Lord that she is off on holiday this week and not next week, mind you I am expecting a really BIG box of PE stuff and kits from Comet next week. God alone know's what the credit card bill will be for that lot as there are two 23 inch PE Eagles in that order.

Old 06-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #15
w8cmp
Science Officer

I'm having to wait until after next week (my birthday) to see what my cards bring (i.e. spondoolies) that I can put towards it...

I'm also selling a 4ft long (RAF official issue) built model of a Nimrod which I've had in my collection for some time...contacting museums first and then to Ebay if necessary. Perhaps Tony would take it in part exchange as I gather he used to build such things when he was in the RAF himself...perhaps it's one of his !!!

Hopefully this will enable the financing of the PE 23" so the wife can't moan...
Old 06-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #16
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Oh, but she still will...

Old 14-12-2005, 11:03 PM   #17
Eagle
Commander Ret.

What's the acrylic case like? It looked a bit ropey to say the least when I saw it at the Fanderson event...
Old 15-12-2005, 06:43 AM   #18
w8cmp
Science Officer

It's quite acceptable...but then I'm not a case connoisseur like yourself !
Old 15-12-2005, 11:18 AM   #19
TonyB
Science Officer

IMO its not too bad overall, I have seen better and I have seen worse, and it does has a nice engraved brass plaque as well.

Old 17-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #20
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Having gobbed-off about all the things I'm going to improve, I've actually decided (now that I've seen it again) to leave it as it is!

I have an RU23 and an AB22 - so why fanny around with it? As an Eagle 'version', it does the job quite nicely.

I will however be 'adjusting' it physically which will involve stripping it down and reassembling.

I've noticed that the command module 'looks' slightly upwards, so I'll be shaving off a portion of the lower half of the detachable nose cone so that it'll sit straight ahead (unless anyone else has a better suggestion?...).

Also of note is that the model has a slight 'curvature' on the spine. It looks as though either the passenger pod is too big for the gap or that the companionways have been jammed up too tight to the pod. It may have left the factory straight but during transit, it seems to have curved slightly. Not enough to ruin it on display, but noticeable when you view it side-on.

Being resin, do you think a quick dip in boiling water then flex to reshape could do the trick?...