Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 28-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
w8cmp
Science Officer

Default Red Stripes on 'Rescue' Pod

Does anyone have a good colour match identified for the red stripes on the 'rescue' pod ?

I'm planning to repaint my PE rescue Pod tomorrow with the correct format of stripes, and feel that Humbrol's reds are too dark.

Images of the pod look like a 'warm' red rather than 'post office' red - though in looking at the pod in the pics of the refurbishment that Mark42 carried out, the red looks darker...

Just wondered what colour I should be using...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Any old red for me. Then again, I'm not a die-hard purist.

It all depends on what lighting conditions you'll be displaying it in - flourescent, tungsten, daylight; they all have different effects on colour perception.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The red stripes on the passenger pod before Mark 42 restored the model were not original. Phil Rae painted those on when he owned the model. However, traces of the original red were uncovered during the restoration and in the close up photos I have, it looks exactly the same. All I can say is that it looks like a regular bright red but I have no idea if it's a particular shade. There's no suggestion of being orangey or flamey or claret. It just looks a regular bright neutral red.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Update:

Looking at the photos you can see where the red paint has pickled when it was overcoated with white. This would suggest it was enamel.

Old 28-10-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
shrugger
Eagle Pilot

I'd have to agree.
Primary Red. The same color used on the ILM X-wings
shrugger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 28-10-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
w8cmp
Science Officer

Cheers guys...

Humbrol Gloss Red enamel it is then...

Better get a new tin as mine is years old...
Old 28-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #7
w8cmp
Science Officer

Just got a selection of reds from my local model shop...I think I'm going to go with a mixture of Humbrol Gloss Red ( 19 ) and Satin Red ( 132 ) - I just prefer the 'warmer' colour this gives.

Also got myself a new tin of Gloss Orange ( 18 ) for my Warp Hawk while I was there...

Masking tonight...paint tomorrow...

Oh - by the way - what have you guys found best to remove the PE decals from the Eagles. Enamel thinners doesn't seem to do much, whereas Cellulose thinners pretty well destroys them in to mush - and takes all the sprayed-on weathering with them...though doesn't seem to affect the white base coat.
Old 28-10-2005, 05:44 PM   #8
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Much the same as I used non-acetone nail varnish remover on the SHADO Mobile, I used that on the PE decals too.

I wetted the decal with the NVR for about 10 seconds, then used a cotton bud to wipe off; working inwards on the decal.

Old 28-10-2005, 06:03 PM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I just gently scraped mine off with the edge of a curved scalpel blade.
Old 29-10-2005, 10:16 AM   #10
w8cmp
Science Officer

Well, couldn't stop last night - did the strip down, masking and then mixed up the paint and sprayed it.

Today I've just repainted the windows and smaller details and have now put it down for a day or so to dry off properly...

Here's the result so far...

Will probably do weathering and decals tomorrow evening...

Chris

Old 29-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #11
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Looks perfect to me.
Old 29-10-2005, 11:36 AM   #12
w8cmp
Science Officer

Cheers...I'm pleased with the colour I managed to mix up there...looks more like the colour in these pics than the standard Humbrol Gloss red - which is what I was trying to achieve:

Chris
Old 29-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #13
shrugger
Eagle Pilot

That is cool!
shrugger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2005, 12:16 PM   #14
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Looking good Chris.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2005, 03:08 PM   #15
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Photographic interpretation is always difficult especially when it comes to colour. It's probably worth checking out the overhead shots of the pod being docked with the Kaldorian sleeper ship too. Humbrol gloss red is definitely erring towards red wine but the matt red is brighter particularly if applied thinly.

Old 29-10-2005, 04:02 PM   #16
w8cmp
Science Officer

Yes - looking at all the various different shots of the pod, it appears a different shade of red in many of them. I did look at Humbrol matt red, but preferred the warmer shade of the satin red - though this it too orangy in it's unmixed form.

Because I'm not necessarily a purist, I wanted to capture the look of the rescue Eagle in one of my favourite shots of the craft (as shown above on the pad).

That particular shade of red in my eyes makes the craft look great and it evokes brilliant memories of the first run of the series for me...
Old 29-10-2005, 04:16 PM   #17
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

One should always build a model to please yourself.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #18
eimb1999
Eagle Pilot

I'd like to know exactly how you masked the pod to do the stripes. I actually despise masking and spraying, and trying to get the tape to adhere along all those darn grooves without lifting and allowing the spray to get under is a real pain. Especially trying to get over all those grooves and panels and keep the lines perfectly straight.

What types of tape do you use and how do you get it to stick well enough without lifting yet remove easy enough without taking off the paint with it?

Did you strip the pod and re-spray the white too?

Although I've been building models most of my life and have done this type of thing occasionally, I must confess that masking and spraying on almost all jobs is something I desperately avoid whenever possible, as, quite frankly, I'm not very comfortable with it! Most of the time when I do the red stripes I gently scribe the dividing lines with a knife and hand paint the red, using the scribed lines as a "fence" to keep the lines sharp! The brush strokes disappear with weathering and dullcoat.

Any tips? Can anybody tell me what I need to do better so I don't hate doing this operation so much?
eimb1999 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 10:25 PM   #19
w8cmp
Science Officer

Hi Jim,

Like you I didn't relish the idea of masking and spraying an item such as the Eagle pod with all its ribs and grooves...but overall the job wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

The first thing I did after disassembling the pod, was to remove the old decals - a very quick wipe with some cellulose thinnners completely dissolved them away.

I then spent a few hours with a roll of Tamiya masking tape (narrow strips - 2 or 3mm wide), and after measuring out equidistant spacings for the stripes and marking at top and bottom with light pencil marks, I placed the strips and spent a bit of time burnishing it all down, using my fingernails to ensure the tape conformed with all the grooves. Larger flat areas (i.e. the roof) were covered with conventional masking tape.

The paint was then mixed up and I sprayed a light coating on first (ensuring I sprayed away from the masked edges) and allowed this to go tacky. Because I was converting the PE Rescue Eagle pod, I had a base of red stripes which are too narrow, leaving some white to cover too. It required several coats of paint to cover this properly and blend it all together - but I did this over the course of an hour or so.

After the paint went tacky again (a couple of hours) I removed the masking tape and was pleasantly surprised to find very little bleed under the tape. Just a couple of areas which were cleaned up with a scalpel blade or enamel thinners on the tip of a cotton bud. To my relief, there was no bleed in the grooved panels along the sides of the pod...

The next day, I repainted the windows on the pod in satin black, and it's now ready for some panel shading, decals and matt coat to bring it all together. I shall then overcoat the windows in Klear (Future) to make them shine...
Old 02-11-2005, 10:29 PM   #20
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp
...measuring out equidistant spacings for the stripes...
That the trickiest part!

Looking good.