Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Dragon's Domain - Image Gallery

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 02-11-2006, 06:31 AM   #1
CR
Science Officer

Default My out-of-box Airfix/Fundimensions/MPC/AMT/Ertl Eagle

OK, a while back, I posted a link to the one and only photo I knew about of my 12" Eagle. The model was built out-of-box, just to show how a semi-decent paint job could make this often ill-regarded kit look good, or at least look somewhat OK. The pic I'd found was from a local model club's contest and is still here:
http://thegluecrew.com/2003show/pics/77.jpg

As some of you may have figured out from my avatar & pics of Airfix astronauts I recently posted, I finally have access to a digital camera. I thought I'd post a few other pics of that Eagle, though I'm afraid the pics aren't the greatest due to harsh lighting & my not being able to get in too close without losing sharpness.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle01.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle02.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle03.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle04.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle05.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle06.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle07.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle08.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle09.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...06/eagle10.jpg

When cricket first introduced herself, she'd asked about what kit to build when starting off in this Eagle-centric model building hobby, and I'd suggested this model, even with all its faults, just because of its simplicity. So, these are for her and anyone else interested in building this old kit, in hopes that they can inspire some creativity for your own Eagle assembly. (Assuming you can find one, of course.)

Cheers!

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that the astronaut has gone missing, which is why the new pics are devoid of him (or her). It was converted from a "1/96" scale Glencoe re-release of an old Lindberg lunar lander model (the one with the stacked spheres held together by a framework). I stated the scale in paretheses because the figures actually seem closer to 1/110 scale or thereabouts, but the Glencoe designation is 1/96.
Also, just a reminder to anyone viewing my Eagle pics... the model is spray painted, not airbrushed, with hand painted details, and I still don't have accurate decals to put on it! The landing pad is converted from a large car display case, minus the acrylic cover. (Yeah, I know, it's too red compared to 'real' Alpha landing pads.)
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:16 AM   #2
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

Nice work CR!

Your Eagle is very sharp. Nice clean edges, subtle weathering; a great looking model overall!

As you mentioned, despite it's faults, the Airfix/ Fundimentions/MPC/AMT/Ertyl Eagles are fun to built and have a charm of their own when finished.

Nice work on the landing pad too
Gumdrop and Spider is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
CR
Science Officer

Thanks!!
Old 02-11-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
doon
Communications Officer

Very nice indeed CR The paint up on the cages and even the girder work on the landing pads are excellent.
Is the last picture one of Maya takin off
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Is the last picture one of Maya takin off
LOL

Nice pictures CR.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #6
w8cmp
Science Officer

A much better job on the Airfix kit than I ever managed.

Well done !
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
cricket
Medical Officer

Thanks much, CR! I really like my PE birds, and my little Kanomi Hawk that finally arrived, but would like to try my hand at assembling one myself. I'm keeping my eyes open on ebay and a few other sources. I still hope to find one. Eventually.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 11:49 PM   #8
Eagle-1

Lookin' good there, CR! Well done!

Hey cricket,

TonyB just posted one in the "Catacombs".

I don't know if it's actually his or not, but here's the link.

eBay Eagle

If it is actually his, I'm sure he would appreciate it going to a forum member, especially one trying to get started in the hobby?

Rob.
  Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:44 AM   #9
CR
Science Officer

Thanks, everyone. I'm glad that you all liked my efforts, and that I was finally able to share them with you.
I should point out something about how/why I painted the landing gear solid black, with the edges picked out in silver. I didn't remove the solid landing gear for the same reason I didn't remove the solid cage works of the Eagle's forward & aft sections: this was an out-of-box build-up. I wasn't sure if painting the gear in such a way would work, but I figured it would at least be consistent with the cages. At least in the photos, it looks halfway decent. (Of course, in person, the effect isn't all that great, but then again neither are the solid cages... ah, PE has spoiled me! )
I also want to point out that the outsides of all the engines were hand painted with Testors silver enamel paint, getting just a touch of dark grey spray paint along the edges of the bells. I was very tempted to replace the VTOLs under the passenger module with extra VTOLs from the fore & aft sections, but I managed to restrain myself.
If anyone has any specific questions about other things relating to this project, just ask and I'll see if I can remember what I did! (Just remember, this is a really basic build-up that anyone with basic modeling skills and patience should be able to accomplish... just have fun with it! )
Old 03-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #10
cricket
Medical Officer

All right, the above cited Eagle kit is in my 'watch' file on ebay. Next, I'll need to find out how much it costs to send across the pond to the US. Assuming that isn't an arm and a leg, this might just fly, as it were. Thanks!!

Old 03-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
NWTG
Hydroponics Technician

Very Clean Build CR, This is the Eagle kit, the one that got everyone hooked. it may be showing signs of age compared to the kits of today, but this shows you what time and patience can do!. I never get tired of seeing what can be done too this kit. keep up the Good work! RobM
NWTG is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #12
cricket
Medical Officer

Alright gentlemen, a quick tutorial is requested. What, if any, is the difference between the original 1970's releases of these kits and the 1998 era kits? Is it worth the cost to try to obtain an 'original' kit or is a more recent edition similar? There are several of each up on ebay at present and the going rates seem to be in the neighborhood of $40-45 USD. Reasonable? Any help or insights appreciated.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #13
w8cmp
Science Officer

I believe they're pretty well identical...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:35 PM   #14
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

There were differences in decals but since none of the decal options were remotely accurate, it doesn't really matter which version you go for. The mouldings are identical.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:34 AM   #15
CR
Science Officer

Some collectors find more value in the older/original releases, especially if the box is in good shape, really especially if the inner bag is still sealed and most especially if the thing is MIB (Mint In Box), shrinkwrap intact.
Other than the colour of the plastic, the kits are the same. Old versions were white, newer (AMT-Ertl) were light grey.

For my next project, rather than trying to 'accurize' one of these to studio specs, I'm going to convert it to look like the Imai kit.

And that is very much a joke, by the way!

Old 05-11-2006, 12:21 AM   #16
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Hey, Cricket. Check out the first kit listed.

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-b...ic.php?t=43814
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:56 AM   #17
Eagle-1

cricket,

If all else fails or falls through, contact me. I've got quite a few of the re-issue AMT/ERTL kits I've been saving for that "Swift" build.

You and me both are in the good 'ole US of A, so shipping would be a snap!

Rob.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:01 AM   #18
CR
Science Officer

This would be as good a time & place as any to mention this: I built my first Eagle kit of this type when I was about eight years old. It was so simple to assemble, that I had no trouble at all. My dad had advised me that building a model could take a couple of days, so "be patient and don't try to finish it all in one afternoon." I had the thing done in a matter of a couple of hours, including the (admittedly crude) paint job & decal placement.
The point? This kit would be great for a parent & child building project. If one can get two of these kits, one could use one kit to show a child how to build the Eagle while the child follows along with his or her own. Great bonding time, great way to spend a morning or an afternoon, and of course, great way to pass Space: 1999 to a new generation.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:05 AM   #19
CR
Science Officer

Hey, Rob, how were you going to use those Eagles to convert to a Swift? Or am I misinterpreting you?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:51 AM   #20
Eagle-1

Hey CR,

Super Swift actually shoulda said.

Super Swift

All those bumps around the perimeter of that end piece are.........

Yep, you guessed it! Fundimensions (AMT/ERTL/AIRFIX) Eagle Transporter VTOL's.

Rob.