Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
w8cmp
Science Officer

Default Model Display at Fanderson Convention 23/24 October 2010 - Bristol

I have volunteered my services to co-ordinate the model display room at the Fanderson convention to be held on October 23/24 in Bristol.

I already have a few offers of items for display from people here, but would anyone else on the forum who is going to the convention be willing to offfer original or replica props / models from the worlds of Gerry Anderson for display ?

Things are a bit thin on the ground as it stands right now, so we would be grateful for all offers received. It should be noted however that we are looking for originals or very good replicas of studio models rather than built plastic kits or the like...but there are enough excellent modellers here on the forum to put on a fantastic display I am sure.

I look forward to hearing from you soon...

Cheers

Chris

Last edited by w8cmp; 25-07-2010 at 10:32 AM.
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

Ill be there

along with these....

and a few others,red helijet with assurances that they will be finished, as will Patrol boat, yellow fire engine and eddie housemans truck

This is my first ever convention, would love to see loads more models and puppets, particularly Thunderbirds models there.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Delamar; 19-07-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
seaview
Eagle Pilot

Hi
I might be up in Bristol in Oct around those dates , with some recording , i could bring some of models along
Pete
seaview is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

I'll pop along as it's in Bristol. What are the details? wouldn't want to miss this probably won't bring anything though
FeRaHGo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
w8cmp
Science Officer

Full details here...

Old 19-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

cheers w8cmp
Old 19-07-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
TVC21
Life Support Officer

Chris, you`ve inherited a poison chalice there. I only found out I wasn`t doing it this time when `the commitee` wrote to a fellow long time organiser/contributor asking him to do it as I wouldn`t be doing it this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This will explain where a lot of the originals have gone....
Still doesn`t stop Fanderson using pics of all my stuff to promote the event though!
TVC21 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
paulcarson
Communications Officer

I'm not surprised that people aren't offering anything to be shown if that's how they are treated. Very unprofessional if you ask me.
paulcarson is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
TVC21
Life Support Officer

I`m not the only one Paul, sadly.
Last con I organised the model and dealers room, and exhibited 17 puppets, 4 original Stingray props, an original SPC, original TV21 art and various other bits, all at my own cost and uninsured. Clearly they`re grateful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TVC21 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
paul gray
Forum Supporter

i have to say that's very brave exhibiting all that without insurance. there are hundreds of people going through the model rooms ,anything could happen. am i right in thinking this is because it would cost too much ? or are there companies out there that would insure an event like this for a reasonable fee and they just wont pay? i am sure this would make some people think twice about displaying stuff.
good luck though Chris , sounds like a lot of work
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
w8cmp
Science Officer

I'm not familiar with the history of the various events or the characters involved...sounds like a right can of worms. But unfortunately I'm too involved now to walk away and see it fail, so I'll have to do my best.

I shall certainly be addressing the question of insurance to the committee, however I do understand they now have full time security on the room and exhibits as they did at the last event.

Last edited by w8cmp; 25-07-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 19-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #12
andersonitis
Forum Supporter

Hi Chris
I have offered on the fanderson forum to bring loads of models down ,in fact I forwarded a few emails of pics to katie ,but katie has not replied ,I followed this up with a message to Katie ,saying "did she recieve my emails ? " & not I have not heard nothing absolutely no idea why ,as my message is public
I am very happy to bring my models with me ,perhap if you pm me with your email address ,I can forward the emails I sent to Katie to you & we can make a decision
I can bring a carload if you like
The greatest thing would be to see Phil Rae Lord of all model collections at Fanderson (He deserves a knighthood)
Are you aware that Dennis Nicholson (Gerry Anderson memorabilia guide) is coming to the convention (Him too)
I am really really looking forward to this convention ,I think the guests they have this year are the best yet

Let me know

Larry
andersonitis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #13
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

I really hope the guys with the props, puppets and replicas will come along.

I hope Chris King could be some way persuaded to come along, because Id love to see his beautiful puppets and other props.

I feel Ive missed the boat with not being to one before, I hope you guys can come and bring your stuff.

Ive always wanted to see Mark42s models, I hope he can come with his Thunderbirds.

I know lots of people may have seen models already displayed at previous cons but there will be a lot of people who havent seen them.

Fab1, Id love to see your puppets and models, especially the hover bus.

Deranged, has a wonderful collection of original models, love to see you at the Con

Century21Slough, wonderful Tb1 Silo and sports car.

Paul Gray, hope you can come with your Scarlet truck and other vehicles

Captanapollo, all the way in Australia, a huge ask, but would be great to see you over here with your models.

and Im sure Ive forgotten others, which I apologise.

Ive only got stuff that appeared for a few moments in Thunderbirds, would love to see them alongside some of the major craft

c'mon guys itll be a good weekend, chance to meet actors and people who actually built these models first time round

plus theres a bar and Ill see you in there!

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #14
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Here is my problem:

"Full weekend registration costs 100 for Fanderson members and 120 for non-members, while single day passes can also be purchased". This obviously is plus the hotel, food and entertainment expenses amounting to a very expensive weekend IMHO.

Considering the economic situation at the moment are they nuts?? Will someone connected with Fanderson steering committee give them a reality check?

The statement's above about the lack of insurance and gratitude plus the fact that you have to pay the entrance fee for the honour to display in the first place upsets me. If I were involved I would have anyone with a prop collection or large studio scale replica collection on the guest list, hunted down, secured and expenses paid to encourage them to be there. To me this is more important than any other guest star appearance (with the exception the effects crew and designers of course). If the Model display was comprehensive and prominent I also suspect that more members here would have booked already.

Pay for a Fanderson weekend or buy the materials for a Studio Scale Mobile + Moonvisions UFO Lunar Module + Uncle Bill's Alpha Tank + several issues of Science Fiction & Fantasy Modeller or Half a 1612 Hawk or a large box full of rare kits for detailing...?

It tips over the value scale from a must do event to "being done" so not a very difficult choice really.

Cap'n
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

I also found that my replicas were always shunted away into a corner. Surely, a fan-built replica is better than nothing at all. I've never had the wherewithal to obtain original studio props (apart from the original bottle of Altorian Champagne from Space Precinct that I was given during a studio visit) so I do the best I can, building consistent scale replicas in a size that can be stored easily (1/72) but I am given the impression from certain Committee Members that I'm a second-class citizen.
On several occasions I have had cause to question the place of the Fan in Fanderson
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 20-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #16
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonitis View Post
Hi Chris
I have offered on the fanderson forum to bring loads of models down ,in fact I forwarded a few emails of pics to katie ,but katie has not replied ,I followed this up with a message to Katie ,saying "did she recieve my emails ? " & not I have not heard nothing absolutely no idea why ,as my message is public
I am very happy to bring my models with me ,perhap if you pm me with your email address ,I can forward the emails I sent to Katie to you & we can make a decision

Let me know

Larry
Have you tried this address for Katie:

katie@fanderson.org.uk
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 08:38 AM   #17
FeRaHGo
Communications Officer

How much is a single day pass, I can't find it on the site? I thought it would be priced as a normal show -through to- a museum doo. in th 10-20 range....shows ignorance I suppose. But I would not pass up on the opportunity to meet you guys. I can also see myself going a little camera-mental. After all, i've been watching this stuff on video and youtube since the age of 3. Mum put my old Thunderbirds video (recorded from BBC2!) on for a neighbours kid she was looking after for the afternoon and he loved it. That video isstill in reasonable condition and is nearly 17 years old!
Old 20-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
w8cmp
Science Officer

Wow - didn't realise there was so much 'venom' for Fanderson within the community here... I though there would be 'some' support, but perhaps I was mistaken. Obviously a lot of history there...

Katie is no longer dealing with the models - that's been passed to me now - but my brief is that the models need to be studio quality or originals. Quality rather than quantity. I'm not going to try to justify the decisions made by the committee - that's for them to do. All I know is that I have been given a voluntary job to assist with organising the model room, and that's the sum total of my involvement with them. I shall do my best to put on a good display, but if there is no support from the community then so be it - perhaps it will be the last model display at a convention they run...

On to practical issues and trying to make this work as best I can, I have been passed some historic e-mails by Katie and need to get around to replying to all who have contacted her. I will need individual photographs of each model proposed as well as dimensions so I can plan the display space. Obviously I can't guarantee to display every model that is offered, and shall have to give priority to studio originals rather than replicas, but I shall make every effort to ensure that anyone who wants to display their models is given the opportunity to do so as long as they're up to the standards required (which I may add I don't set in the first place). What we're not interested in are commercially available pre-built replicas which anyone can see or own themselves any time. Quality fan-produced replicas will always be welcome...

I can't comment on the costs & fees, but there does appear to be a good take up on registrations and the hotel is now fully booked for the event, so they can't be doing everything wrong...

Last edited by w8cmp; 25-07-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 20-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #19
uncle bill
Astrophysics Technician

W8CMP I wont be attending the convention as it is just too expensive, however I am happy to loan my studio scale Mole.
Bill
uncle bill is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #20
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Thumbs up Consideration....

Hi Chris,

Exasperation more than venom believe me, about the last thing I would want is a fall out with Fanderson. I happen to know someone with a rather nice 23" studio scale Eagle which is about as close to the original model as is possible to make. I think you know the one I mean:

Yours on loan F.O.C. if they look after it, yours to repair if it gets broken and Fanderson to pay for a replacement if it isn't returned, you know how much it is worth. It is the best Eagle model in my collection.

Please credit the owner as www.eagletransporter.com if possible.

Please make an enquiry if they are willing to carry the site banner as advertising or put flyers into their convention packs (I will provide them) in return possibly? Be interested to see if/what the response might be.

I know Katie and Graham quite well, they are lovely people and I have served on a fair number of committee's myself so I understand what the pressure of this role involves. I send my best wishes to them for a successful event and hope I redressed the balance a little.

I hope others will aid Chris on this quest, let's show what we can do if at all possible and support his attempt at pulling this together.

Bernie.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote