Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Default Space: 1999 Series 1.5

For a while I've been thinking about how to resurrect Space: 1999 without needing any of the original actors and without violating the storyline. I do have an idea that I think would make just about everyone happy. And it would make VERY happy those of us who love the various ships from the series.

However, it's hard to imagine actually doing all the things necessary for such a production, since Space: 1999 is copyright protected material. Something like this could be done with a modest budget, but even a "modest" amount of money spent on something that ultimately belongs to someone else would be kind of crazy. Even sharing my proposed storyline is crazy, as I can't claim any ownership to the basic premise.

Unless someone here is in with the copyright holders. Or knows who to talk with. Anybody?
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Does anyone know if Carlton holds the rights? Or who does?
Old 19-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Granada. They bought Carlton a couple of years ago.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Anybody know anything about Granada? Or know anyone at Granada? I'm not saying anything like this is realistic -- but there's no harm in making some connections.
Old 19-12-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Most of my contacts are now outside Granada.

Gerry Anderson himself is quite boyant at the moment. Gerry was always backed by the late great Sir Lew Grade who was Mr ITC. Sir Michael Grade, nephew of the aforementioned, has just switched from being the director of the BBC to ITV of which Granada constitutes the main part. Gerry is therefore looking at finding a friendly and receptive ear to pitch his proposed remaking of Thunderbirds (CGI). I'm not sure that Granada would sanction a Space 1999 project without Gerry's involvement and Gerry certainly wouldn't which will sadly mean it'll probably get shot down dead. Not what you wanted to hear I know but better to be realistic from the outset than invest too much time on very unlikely odds.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-12-2006, 11:45 PM   #6
AceMartini
Communications Officer

It's too bad that the fan base isn't larger. Outside of the various forums online, there really isn't much of a groundswell for revival. There are a lot of things in the way of doing anything new with the property, of course.

Part of me thinks that I should just make something that looks a lot like Space: 1999, without actually venturing into the copyright zone. But I'm not sure if that would be all that much fun. I want to see Eagles fly again.

Or perhaps I need to finish my current film and make $100,000,000 so I'll have some clout. That should be no problem....