Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Default Cloudbase -Looking for profile pics or accurate drawings

I've never seen a scratch build of Cloudbase and it doesn't look that hard to make. I imagine the scale is generally what puts people off. I know the original model was about 6 foot long but I'm thinking of making a 3 foot miniature. Problem is it's SO hard to get hold of decent reference material for this. I've trawled the net and can only find the usual images nothing that shows its profile correctly or in detail. The only decent shot I have to go on is the full page pic on page 65 of the Alan Shubrook book, which, although extremely helpful isn't enough. I want to try and put some working drawings together so need some high rez scans or screen grabs if possible. Also any info anyone has on the original model would be appreciated. I was going to work from the old IMAI kit as reference but I've heard its extremely innacurate. I'm guessing the old Vivid Imaginations toy suffers in the same way. I'm not being a lazy researcher honestly, its just that I can't locate anything more on the net or through my regular contact lists.
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
sigspace
Weapons Technician

Cloudbase was a really large model (much larger than you guessed at) and therefor had only small sections where kit bits were used. When I researched it some years ago to draw up into scale plans I was fortunate to obtain the photos from Phil Rae (derranged on this forum). These photos also appeared in the Japanese book known as the big pink book.
I have recently found my half finished drawings but I am struggling to get them digitised and also printed as they are A1 film. If I can get them doneI will let you know but I strongly recommend the profile photos. The one on Shubrucks book is part of that set.
regards
SIGSPACE
sigspace is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
Knight1966
Communications Officer

Whoa thar Slatey m'boy!!!
You've got a TB2 and a SkyDiver to finish before you go getting into some new fandangled scratch build :LOL:
Knight1966 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Threre's a good photo of the full model propped up against a backdrop somewhere (I'll try and find it). You can actually take most of your measurements from that.

Here's mine I did a while ago.

It's about 45cm in length.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Here are some photos of the original model from the Japanese Captain Scarlet/Joe 90 book. Not great scans but I don't want to break the spine. Unfortunately these were not available to me when I built mine and I got the underside totally wrong.

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cloudbase1.jpg (99.4 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg Cloudbase2.jpg (96.7 KB, 175 views)

Old 20-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnapollo View Post
Here are some photos of the original model from the Japanese Captain Scarlet/Joe 90 book. Not great scans but I don't want to break the spine. Unfortunately these were not available to me when I built mine and I got the underside totally wrong.

Keith
Brilliant pictures Keith thanks a bunch ! Not seen the underside in any detail at all ever ! Those look like drop tanks near the right hand side but they must have been huge at that scale !
Old 20-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Threre's a good photo of the full model propped up against a backdrop somewhere (I'll try and find it). You can actually take most of your measurements from that.

Here's mine I did a while ago.

It's about 45cm in length.

Keith
Thats awesome Keith ! Did you have to scratchbuild the Interceptors as well then ??? I was thinking of maybe buying the Konami ones (the smallest and most detailed I know of that are available) and scaling the Cloudbase to them.
Old 20-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #8
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight1966 View Post
Whoa thar Slatey m'boy!!!
You've got a TB2 and a SkyDiver to finish before you go getting into some new fandangled scratch build :LOL:
Yeah I know bro...I don't think the TB2 will take too long to finish off now, the problem being I work outa my ex -wifes garage to paint and right now we arn't on the best of terms (!) There is still a layer of Orange dust (from the TB3) all over her fridge freezer. I need to resolve this first! Planning a cloudbase is something I can do in the comfort of my own home !
Old 20-07-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigspace View Post
Cloudbase was a really large model (much larger than you guessed at) and therefor had only small sections where kit bits were used. When I researched it some years ago to draw up into scale plans I was fortunate to obtain the photos from Phil Rae (derranged on this forum). These photos also appeared in the Japanese book known as the big pink book.
I have recently found my half finished drawings but I am struggling to get them digitised and also printed as they are A1 film. If I can get them doneI will let you know but I strongly recommend the profile photos. The one on Shubrucks book is part of that set.
regards
SIGSPACE
Thanks Sigspace. I've never seen the famous Big Pink Book and on the rare occasion it does come up on E:bay it goes for big prices ! The drawings would be invaluable to work from if you find a chance to get them digitised. I won't be starting this project for a little while as I want to finish what's on the bench first.
Old 20-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
Did you have to scratchbuild the Interceptors as well then ???
Yes I did. If you are going to scale it to the Konami Angels, it is going to be huge, roughly about 2m long!! That I would certainly like to see! Best of luck with the project.

Keith

Old 20-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Yes I did. If you are going to scale it to the Konami Angels, it is going to be huge, roughly about 2m long!! That I would certainly like to see! Best of luck with the project.

Keith
Unfortunately i may have some storage issues with one that size ! Looks like i'm going to require some smaller Interceptors
Old 20-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
uncle bill
Astrophysics Technician

I recall Phil Rae did a drawing of cloud base published in SIG magazine way back in the mid 80s, If I can dig out my issues I'll let you know.
uncle bill is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle bill View Post
I recall Phil Rae did a drawing of cloud base published in SIG magazine way back in the mid 80s, If I can dig out my issues I'll let you know.
Bill that would be excellent thanks (!)
Old 20-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
deraenged
Chief Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Hi Bill,
I'll save you the trouble on that.....sadly I never did one, nor know of anyone who has.
Phil
deraenged is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

With reference to the Vivid Imaginations toy cloudbase, I think it would convert in to a reasonable model with minimum effort (although it may be too small for you- at about a foot long) I have a couple that I plan to convert at some point, the main issue with the toy is that the flight deck is way too deep!

Cheers
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 20-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #16
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
Unfortunately i may have some storage issues with one that size ! Looks like i'm going to require some smaller Interceptors
But it would be impressive though

Keith
Old 20-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
But it would be impressive though

Keith
I've just had a thought..although the interceptors that came with the IMAI Cloudbase model were massivly out of scale...they do appear to be the smallest production Interceptors in any form I can locate. Does anyone know exactly how long they are ? Might be worth me scaling the Cloudbase up from these ?? I really don't fancy having to scratch build them if its possible to accurise the IMAI ones.

I also turned the view of the underside to grey-scale and adjusted the contrast to try and make out some of the details...

I'm guessing that the half tubes indicated were 2.5 inch drain pipes (this fits with the scale of the guys hand in the picture and they would have been readily available. That would make the drop tanks about six inches long....very large for a standard kit but might be from a radio controlled aircraft? Any thoughts ?
The other recangular piece looks very much like the baking tray i have in my kitchen..its the same shape and approx the same size !
Old 20-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #18
mike s
Communications Officer

hi - the drop tanks look more like about 12 inches long to me

amazing pics btw, SURELY this wasn't just trashed after filming..?

the one that gets blown up in Attack on Cloudbase looks like a way way smaller model to me

cheers
Mike
mike s is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #19
uncle bill
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by deraenged View Post
Hi Bill,
I'll save you the trouble on that.....sadly I never did one, nor know of anyone who has.
Phil
Thanks for that Phil, saved me a trip to the loft However I knew I had a Cloud base drawing somewhere and here it is. This is a book I've had some time now and think some of the drawings are spot on and have based two of my kits on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0278_3_1.jpg (86.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0277_3_1.jpg (62.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0276_4_1.jpg (77.7 KB, 120 views)
uncle bill is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #20
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Quote:
Thanks for that Phil, saved me a trip to the loft However I knew I had a Cloud base drawing somewhere and here it is. This is a book I've had some time now and think some of the drawings are spot on and have based two of my kits on them.
Great stuff ! Thanks Bill ! That book is like rocking horse sh*t to obtain I've been after a copy for a long time. Those drawings will come in really useful.