SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 17-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default Takara 1/144 scale Thunderbird 2

Anyone have one of these?

I'm considering a purchase but what puts me off are those 'black strips' that run along the sides of the airframe... what on earth are they? It ruins the look...

Feel free to post pics.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 10:36 PM   #2
Captain Sci-Fi
Commander

Someplace I have one of the really big TB2 Imai kits - can't remember what the scale is offhand. It has a foam core for the main hull and brass & white metal fittings for the engines etc. I bought it to build when I had time (yeah right). If anyone wants photos of the kit or contents let me know and I will post here.
Captain Sci-Fi is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #3
multivac
Hydroponics Technician

Looking at the one in Comet's window I think the "black lines" must be the seams.

Yes but it does go up and down on the legs.
multivac is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

http://www.takaratoys.co.jp/thunder/...ies/index.html
A Study in Scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:32 AM   #5
superswift
Hydroponics Technician

Default Takara 1/144 Thunderbird 2

I have one of these and I am really impressed with it.

For years I have collected the Imai kits in all sizes including the mechanical , high grade, real type and the super large kits.

I wanted to modify them to make the ultimate kit with detailing and accessoris. Takara has saved the time with this.

I have te second pod with Thunderbird 4 and the Recovery Vehicle as well as the 2 Pod Vehicle sets.

Takara has taken the away from having to build and paint Thunderbird 2 and the other vehicles as well as accurizing them.

I am now in the process of getting rid of my excess models, collectable items like this make it well worth it, if you have the bucks. (I live in Canada)
superswift is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2006, 01:39 AM   #6
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default Re: Takara 1/144 Thunderbird 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superswift
Takara has taken the away from having to build and paint Thunderbird 2.
Ah! But have they? I've yet to see a TB2 model (pre-built) with the correct shade of green - they'll all too dark...
Old 05-03-2006, 01:45 AM   #7
superswift
Hydroponics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Quote:
Takara has taken the away from having to build and paint Thunderbird 2.
Ah! But have they? I've yet to see a TB2 model (pre-built) with the correct shade of green - they'll all too dark...
At the price otf it and no after market decals for it I wouldn't try to change the colouring.

As well, no two Thunderbird 2's originally were the same in the first place.

A lot of it had to do with the lighting as well.
superswift is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:20 AM   #8
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Quote:
A lot of it had to do with the lighting as well.
That's true. This http://www.eagletransporter.com/otherhardware.asp looks reasonable when lit well by studio flash but in a normal display environment, it might as well be black!!!
Old 05-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #9
Slate Mcleod
Communications Officer

Not sure if this link has been posted before but if you haven't checked this out then you MUST (that's if you don't already own a Takara TB2)...

http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products...ies/index.html

It's all in Japanese but if you click on the image of TB2 you can get a full 360 panaoramic view of it and also zoom into all of the working details. There are even demo movies of the thing on there. (If only they were still in production)

Slate
Slate Mcleod is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:23 AM   #10
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Those black lines are weathering. Apart from that the colouring is a little dark, but have a look at it in day light and she's pretty impressive. I'm sure there are forum members who could give her the once over for you, and a little weathering done by yourself could easily remove and touch up any rubbing out of excess lines. This looks like the just finished by Brains version of TB2 before Virgil has had a chance to fly her.

This link is to Space City which is a great site. Robin Day and his wife seem to spend their lives (lucky thing) road testing toys. Really good for a wander around.

http://spacecity.sfdaydreams.com/

The review of the Takara TB2 has a link at the bottom of the home page
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
w8cmp
Science Officer

I have one of these plus all the various accessories they released for it.

As a toy it's the best TB2 ever made. The level of detail is astounding and the working features the icing on the cake.

As a model it's not bad either - better than some I could mention.
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:33 AM   #12
mack29
Astrophysics Technician

The Takara TB2 is a really fantastic model. Whilst we could argue until the cows come home what is the correct colour, and still be no nearer the truth, the attention to detail is amazing when you factor in the pod, cabin and various grabs and accessories that come with the model. Obviously, because it was designed as a toy, there are visible seams and the landing gear cannot be fully contracted when not in the raised position,but it is still a lot more accurate than virtually any commercial TB2 toy or replica I have ever seen and I would whole heartedly recommend purchasing one if you can.

The icing on the cake being that there is also a wide range of in scale pod vehicles available to go with it and if you're in a model building mood you can pose your Aoshima TB1 kit next to it.
mack29 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
Spellbinder99
Astrophysics Technician

I can only agree. I have the TB2 plus a spare pod plus at least one set of the pod vehicles.
The detailing inside the pods looks awesome and having a spare means being able to pop the side or top off (they are removable panels) and have all the bits visible.
One day I will have a large enough cabinet to display it, but it is nice to know it is there plus I never knew TB1 was so small compared to TB2 or indeed how big TB2 is.
I swear you could fly a jet right through the pod if both doors were open!

If you can get one then I certainly recommend you do, certainly makes the PE/IR TB2 I saw the other day look like a bag of poop....

Cheers

Tony
Spellbinder99 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #14
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

It's the toy I really wanted for Christmas in 1966 ! Bit of a long wait, but it was worth it.

Just wish they'd come up with some more pod sets. So many more they could do.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

The Aoshima kit is different to the Aoshima Diecast which is 1:200. The kit is spot on.... I wish the Diecast was 1:144, but you can't have everything

One day I will get hold of the Diecast 1:200 to go with my TB 1. Smaller, also dark green, but still really nice.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #16
w8cmp
Science Officer

I've got the Diecast plus 5 extra pods for all the pod equipment...love it !
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #17
garygumps
Travel Tube Technician

I've got the full range. The absolute thrill of having a remote control pod vehicle make its own way out of the pod is priceless!!!! Except of course the Transmitter Truck which defies the laws of physics!

The only thing they didn't release IMHO was the "TARDIS" pod

You know, the one where you could fit in 3 recovery vehicles + Mole! or 4 elevator cars.

Regarding the Aoshima range, I'm just sorry I didn't get some extra pods when they were freely available. The only place I can seem to find them is FABGear USA and the prices are well OTT now
garygumps is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #18
gojira61
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygumps View Post
The only thing they didn't release IMHO was the "TARDIS" pod

You know, the one where you could fit in 3 recovery vehicles + Mole! or 4 elevator cars.
Yup That's the same pod I need!

I have the TB2 from Takara myself along with all the extras. This is how all toys should be made, I canít say enough nice things about this TB2. I managed to put an extra TB2 away for a rainy day (or for when I wear out the one on the shelf ) I wish I had done the same with the extras.
gojira61 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #19
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

TAKARA TB2:
Definitely the best TB2 'display quality' toy ever made.
If only they'd done a Firefly and Domo set to finish off the line of compatible pod vehicles... Very disappointing the series just ended like that. I think Takara got bought out and the Thunderbirds line was one of the casualties. Apart from a few niggling paint tints, (the Recovery Vehicles are dull orange instead of red), the "toys" really capture the feel of the IR studio models. Ah well...
GW
TerraForm1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #20
garygumps
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
If only they'd done a Firefly and Domo set to finish off the line of compatible pod vehicles... Very disappointing the series just ended like that. I think Takara got bought out and the Thunderbirds line was one of the casualties.
IIRC, when the toys were in production, they had a "coming soon" section on that website with a sillouete of more vehicles, but I could never work out what it was supposed to be!
garygumps is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote