Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Administration Complex > Commander's Office

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 22-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Question Is Space Precinct Taboo?

Just a query, I notice the absence of a 'SP' thread in the reference section and the board in general, was just wondering if the series is a no-go area as far as the forum is concerned? I know the series was basicly tosh, and dashed many a GA fan's long awaited hopes for a 'best series ever' but I certainly have a soft spot for the hardware (cruisers especially) as I'm currently building a few models from the series and surely Bill Pearsons efforts deserve inclusion? don't they

Cheers
Blue Moon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Its not been left out due to 'malice' its just been overlooked. I rather liked the series in part, it fell short in places but is watchable fun entertainment, unfortunately there are better Gerry Anderson series, my main complaint witht he series was the cramped look of all the sets.

It was mentioned recently about having a section for it, with the hardware being added to the reference section too, its on the 'to do' list and will appear in due course.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Thanks for the info Tony
Old 22-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Mark42
Chief Eagle Pilot

I actually like the show and think it's a lightweight but fun program - and I like the human characters, even the young kids are acceptable (and they usually make me want to vomit in most shows!).

The bottom line is that it's a model effects show, and probably the last one to have hit our screens, so I like it for that.

Apart from that my only other thought is that it suffers very much from the Gerry-hasn't-actually-given-much-thought-to-the-basic-concept-thing that many of his shows suffer from, but often get away with.

The original Space Police film about a human policeman working on an alien planet had some thought to it, but the final series had too many humans on the alien planet - and two lots of aliens who all dressed, walked and talked like humans for no good reason at all - it just seemed like a joke. From reports it seems that even Gerry realised it was not looking too good during filming!

....... S.I.G David Mark Sisson
Mark42 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Blue Moon
Communications Officer

Very valid points David, I think Gerry would have been better going with the original pilot concept-Space Police, although a bit slow, I think if expanded it could have been a classic. And of course it had puppets as well as full size anamatronic suits-what I'd give for that 'Tom' puppet, I do have one of the police cars that I got from Phil Rae.

Old 22-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
Mike Delamar
Medical Officer

I remember when it came on, I liked the police vehicles.
If it was on Id watch it but wasnt a great fan.

there was a good episode I can vaguley remember of a laser coming out of the sky blowing loads of buildings up.

when I watch futurama it reminds me of Space precinct

Mike
Mike Delamar is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote