Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 01-01-2007, 08:37 PM   #1

Default launchpad size

im looking for some measurements for a launchpad to match
scale size for a PE 12" eagle, can anyone help?

Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
BrianS
Communications Officer

When I first contemplated doing a project like this, I got as far as three of your measurements before I decided it would be too big a project for me to pursue at my current location. Here are those measurements:

2 = 03 3/8 inches
6 = 24 3/4 inches
7 = 19 3/8 inches.

From these three measurements you should be able to determine all the rest (so long as the proportions for the rest of your diagram are accurately scaled - though given the scale of the Airlock wing compared to the building behind it, I suspect your drawing may not be completely accurate).

Here are a few images I took of the VERY rough cardboard mockup I did to get an idea of how big these measurements actually made the thing:

http://picasaweb.google.com/blspro/LaunchPad

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise good luck with your creation!
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The biggest problem with that drawing is that it shows the main building as having sloping sides when they should be vertical. It doesn't matter which version of the launch pad you use for reference. They all show upright sides. Also the slope of the sides around the circular body varied between upright and almost 45 degrees depending on which model shot you consider correct. Just to confuse things further, the height of the launch pad above the surface varied greatly also. Any "definitive" drawing is therefore nothing more than a guide although the overall proportions of the one pictured is not too bad. At least it means you can estimate sizes and no one can call them wrong as long as you're in the ball park size.

This image is probably the most useful:

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...c/sptfc059.jpg

And more pics can be found here:

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m.../umlaunch.html
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
BrianS
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX
At least it means you can estimate sizes and no one can call them wrong as long as you're in the ball park size.
Yes. And what adds to the confusion is that the model makers on the show - even when they did build the same style launch pad - didn't make them all to exactly the same scale. So some pads are slightly smaller and some slightly larger. You can see this when looking at the last three pics of the 'Style 1' pad on the page DX referenced:

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m.../umlaunch.html

(Wish I had seen that page when doing my work. Would have saved me the effort of collecting pics on my own. )

Additionally, even things like how far the Airlock building protrudes onto the cross varies. For instance, in some shots (like the one below) it comes in the distance of three landing lights. In others (especially those which involve the cross raising and lowering) the Airlock building only comes in about 2 1/2 landing lights.

--

Looking back through my reference library, it turns out one of the images I used to get a feel for scale was the one DX thought was good for scale as well. (Great minds,eh? ). My image still shows some of the line work I did on it:

(Click pic to view larger image)

While an accurate scale would have the center square of the cross 7 3/4" x 7 3/4" - to make the dimensions, etc. easy for you, I would suggest going with it as 8" x 8". From that you should be able to get all the other dimensions with no problem.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Most of the inconsistencies arise because of the differences between the 44" size pad, the 22" size pad (shown above) and the small pads that made up the complete Moonbase Alpha model.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

I wanted to build a launch pad diorama scaled to fit the 12" AMT/ERTL Eagle ever since the show was on the air. But the size of it was just too daunting.

I used the same base diagrams shown above (from the Technical Manual). Eventually I built one to scale with a 3" metal Eagle that I found in a collectable toy store (labeled as a Hawk, for some strange reason). Even at that size, the pad scaled out as 13" from end of circular pad to the end of the pad extension. (values #9 + #2 in your diagram)

Using the full sized PE Eagle, that would give you a 52" long model. Gives you an idea why you don't see too many of these things out there.
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
BrianS
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_trek
I used the same base diagrams shown above (from the Technical Manual). ...

Using the full sized PE Eagle, that would give you a 52" long model.
As indicated, that diagram has numerous problems of scale. One of them is that the additional platform to the side of it is far too big in this diagram. In virtually every model on the show, the width of this platform about the same width as the cross pad itself. The length of it is about double the width.

Thus here are some updated and additional measurements for you:

1 = between 6 3/4" and 7" *
2 = 3 1/2"
3 = between 8 1/4' and 9" **
5 = 8" (not including sloped sides)
6 = 24"
7 = 18" (or 18 1/8" depending on exactly how you line up the lights)
8 = 16" (not including sloped sides)

(*You don't give a # for the measurement of the height of the platform alone. Assuming you go for the somewhat sloped sides [rather than the vertical sides or the extremely sloped sides] I would suggest a height between 3 1/4" and 3 1/2". This height varies because of variations in the models and in the moon soil placed around them. Of course, if you are contemplating allowing the pad to actually raise and lower some, the higher the better.)

(**This option in size is again the result of variations between models. In some the building was almost the same size as the cross. In others it was a bit larger than the cross. As a side note, as DX pointed out - remember that the building sides are vertical rather than sloped.)

Overall length (ie combination of 8 & 9) of the entire launch pad is approximately 45 1/2" (depending upon the type of slope you choose for your sides). While that is more than half an Eagle shorter than 52" it remains a pretty large item.

Still going to build it?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #8
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Northerner, I own one of the last launchpad models built and finished by Jim Small and I would be pleased to give you the requested measurements.
Unfortunately Iím currently abroad for a while and unable to access my home pc but will send them over to you ASAP, if you're still interested of course.

In the meantime maybe Jim could also help you as well regarding on how this model was made?
Yes, itís bigÖbut believe meÖitís a stunner!

http://img479.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pad4411fl.jpg

http://img479.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pad2215xd.jpg

http://img479.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pad3313nt.jpg

http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pad14zp.jpg
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletransporter
Northener, I own one of the last launchpad models built and finished by Jim Small and I would be pleased to give you the requested measurements.
Jorge, please get ahold of me when you return home, your help will be
greatly appreciated!!

thanks bud!
Old 02-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
BrianS
Communications Officer

I think Jim's work on the launch pad is phenomenal - and would love to have one. When I first considered making one myself, Jim sent me a couple pics and a couple measurements. His model is 102.3 cm - or about 40 1/4" at its longest. And that includes the lip around the base, which appears to be about 1" wide at least. That would mean the pad itself is only about 38 1/4" at its longest. No pun intended, but I think this is just slightly on the small side. If you look at the distance between the edges of the cross and the feet of the Eagle, you will see this:

Studio Model:

Jim's model:

(Click pics for full size images)

Where the studio model appears to have a combined distance of about 1 full eagle foot, Jim's appears to maybe have a combined distance of about 1/2 an eagle foot. To PE scale, that is a difference of at least half an inch. Now, while that may not seem to be much, just on the length of the size of the cross it means a difference of at least 1 1/2" And when talking about a 12" model, that is a big difference in that scale.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #11
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

You have to remember that most of Jim's early kits were based around studio scale. If the pad had been made specifically for the Airfix/MPC kit (remember when that was the only one around?) it would've been too big for anyone making an 11" model and some people were building them at the time.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #12
BrianS
Communications Officer

That is quite true. To the 11" Eagle, it is probably to scale.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #13
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner
Jorge, please get ahold of me when you return home, your help will be
greatly appreciated!!thanks bud!
No problemo! Mi casa su casa!
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #14

does anyone have the room (or the balls) to build a launchpad to scale
size for a PE 23 incher?? LOL
Old 03-01-2007, 12:24 AM   #15
BrianS
Communications Officer

If you did that, you would basically have to go whole hog. Not only would you build the whole launch platform, but you would have to make the cross rise and descend and you would have to wire the Eagle so it could take off and lands. Of course, that would also mean you would have to equip the Eagle with some sort of air jets for the ascent and descent - and you would have to have equip the whole thing with sound as well, so it makes the appropriate lift off and landing sounds.

That's not too much trouble though, right?

Old 03-01-2007, 12:32 AM   #16
AceMartini
Communications Officer

My parents have a barn....
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:33 AM   #17
BrianS
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMartini
My parents have a barn....
Really? Then you could build a pad to scale for the 44" Eagle!

I say go for it!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:38 AM   #18
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Or a 1/1 Eagle, though part of it might have to stick out of the door. We actually have two barns, so we could do both.
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 AM   #19
BrianS
Communications Officer

Interestingly enough, I just did a quick calculation for the size of the cross which would be needed for the supermarionation 23" Eagle. It comes in at 46 1/8". That was just about the size for the whole thing of the PE 12". So, conceivably, as long as you didn't mind leaving off the long platform to the side, making a 23" scale launch platform wouldn't take up that much more room than the full 12" scale launch platform.

In other words, if you have room for the one, then you basically have room for the other.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:14 AM   #20
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner
does anyone have the room (or the balls) to build a launchpad to scale
size for a PE 23 incher?? LOL