Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 21-11-2005, 07:20 AM   #1
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

Default Eagle Hanger diorama

I'm working on a large scale diorama to handle the growing inventory of Eagles and Eagle parts that seem to be growing in my basement.

Diorama currently has a footprint of about 18" x 22". Eagles pictured include a heavy AMT modified Eagle that I made ten years ago surrounded by scaffolding. In the left foreground is a PE Eagle, as yet unmodified or re-painted. Left background is a massive rebuild of an AMT re-issue Eagle from 1999, including Laboratory pod. Barely visible in corner is a Cargo pallet, and a scratch build moonbuggy in center of the image.

Eventually all three Eagles will be painted to better match up color. At the moment they are rather obviously sporting three entirely different paint jobs (reflecting their different origins).

The walls will have the "triangular bumps" added shortly... I've got about half of them constructed. I could have resin recast them, but for reasons that elude even myself, I've just mass produced them by hand.

Three HO scale figures are thrown in for good measure, repainted to be Year Two figures. There are a lot of guesses as to the "true length" of the Eagle, all the way up to 102 feet. 1/87th HO scale would make my eagles about 87 feet long, which seems reasonable. Let's face it, to really fit all the interior sets (especially the cockpit) in that design would make the Eagles more like 120 feet long, and the doors and window ports just don't scale too well to that size, so I'll settle for a slightly cramped 87 foot length.

Additional shots (well, 2 at the moment) at:
http://photobucket.com/albums/b292/john_trek/Hanger/[/img]
john_trek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Its looking good, that will be one nice display when it is fully finished.

BTW the link does not work, all you get is the message that the page cannot be found.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Three HO scale figures are thrown in for good measure, repainted to be Year Two figures. There are a lot of guesses as to the "true length" of the Eagle, all the way up to 102 feet. 1/87th HO scale would make my eagles about 87 feet long, which seems reasonable. Let's face it, to really fit all the interior sets (especially the cockpit) in that design would make the Eagles more like 120 feet long, and the doors and window ports just don't scale too well to that size, so I'll settle for a slightly cramped 87 foot length.
I've always referred to the 44" size Eagle as 1/24th scale, the 22" as 1/48th and the 11" as 1/96th because I believe that was the intention. Since the 44" models are just under 44" long, that would make a real one 87 feet long. We've heard all the arguments about the size of the door on the passenger pod in relation to a human figure but I think you've judged the size of the figures perfectly since a 12" PE Eagle works out to roughly HO scale and this is evident from your hangar photo (which is very good BTW). OK, the fullsize filming set won't fit but all these things are visual cheats. The important thing is does it "look" right and in your case, I'd say you hit the nail on the head. If it looks right, it usually is right and it demonstrates that sometimes it's better not to get too hung up on the number crunching. I might even save and show that pic when the mathmaticians start getting their calculators out.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

I've seen a couple people who scaled figures to the pod door as you mentioned, but they seem to be inserting a 6' figure standing upright in the doorway. That does put the 12" AMT/Airfix kit more in the 1/96 or 1/100 scale. But when I watch the series closely, I see Martin Landau duck down slightly as he goes through the hatch. So to my mind that puts us back at 1/87th.

Sorry about the link. It doesn't seem to work for me either if I'm not logged into that site. This is the first time I've used a site like that, so I'm feeling my way along.

Old 21-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
doon
Communications Officer

John,
That is soo cooool!
I'm attempting a hangar bay as well, do you mind if I ask where you got the scafolding?
Will be watching for more photos
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 21-11-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
Eagle
Commander Ret.

This is great! I can't wait to see this finished as it's one of my future projects.

One thing though, as per forum guidelines, would you mind reducing the width of the images to 600 pixels max? You can of course link to bigger images externally.

Cheers!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2005, 02:12 AM   #7
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

oops! Sorry about the large pic. When the link didn't work for me I just embedded the second pic without thinking about the size.

The scaffolding is all scratch built from Evergreen styrene plastic. They sell HO scale stairs and latters, plus basic handrails for stairs and platforms.

I got more than a little inspiration from Daniel Hayunga's project, featured at Culttvman's site.

http://culttvman.com/donald_hayunga_eagle_hanger.html

An expanded version created by Jim Small was featured in the Space:1999 special issue of Sci Fi Models.

Ever since I saw those two articles, I've wanted to do a similar project.

I based the larger scaffolding over the engines rather closely on something shown in the "Spacewarp" hanger crash scene.

The tank farm in the background (not too visible in these shots) came from some HO railroad models, an old propulsion tank from a Pilgrim Observer (circa 1970) spaceship, and various odds and ends.

The other two peices of scaffolding are designed so that if I separated the command module and put it on a stand (yet to be designed) they could completely wrap around the module. The section you see next to the passenger module could be used as access to the command module, or turned around and used to service and access the front of the superstructure.

After I get furthur on the walls and floor, I'll got back and get working on more of the mainenance gear.
Old 19-12-2005, 07:18 AM   #8
CR
Science Officer

Ah, the Pilgrim Observer kit! Years ago, I canibalised a few of those for parts. Kind of wish I'd known about making molds back then! (Oh, well, at least I kept one MIB.)
I used a few modified & kitbashed parts from that kit (including the fuel tanks) for a Meta Probe Ship I built several years ago, before I had "Breakaway" on dvd and before I'd discovered the Internet. I only had one small pic of Brian Johnson holding his Meta Probe model (found in an old Starlog issue) as reference. As it turns out, my model had a few inaccuracies, but was pretty fun to build and looks pretty close to the 'real' thing.
I should say "looked pretty close." Sadly, the model I made is now in several pieces, the victim of a couple of moves and a lack of decent packing/transport materials. (I just pretend it's a post-Breakaway replica! )

Love your hangar, John. I've also seen the Hayunga & Small articles, and I'm itching to make a hangar myself... maybe this'll inspire me to get started. (I did make a couple of scaffolding pieces, but that's not really much of a start. I think first I'll make a Micro Eagle scale hangar, then move up to the 12" size Eagle. Whatever scale it is. )
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2005, 03:23 AM   #9
Rdrunner
Eagle Pilot

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, JohnT, more pics please, awesome looking hangar

Rdrunner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2005, 03:59 AM   #10
CelticNut
Medical Technician

Default Awesome work!

I think you're on the right track here. Excellent job, John!

Are you going to "dirty up" the gantries and stairs after the assembly is complete?
CelticNut is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 24-12-2005, 05:31 AM   #11
john_trek
Astrophysics Technician

The scaffolding/gantries shown are still unpainted, unputtied, and incomplete in a couple spots.

I'm planning on at least a couple more peices, not sure what, but there were some 2 story tall constructions shown in the hangers, so I'll probably make at least one of those so the diorama has some variation.

Although the gantries appear white in the episodes, careful examination shows them as a light grey when compared to the Eagles. So I'll be at the least putting on a base coat of some kind. And the equipment that goes on them can be detailed and painted however the mood strikes. I'm sure I'll find a couple spots that just cry out for some grease.

And the floors practically scream for some dirtying up.

And then there's the control-observation rooms, plus any potential lighting I might add, constructing a base and backing structure for all the peices, some sort of ceiling, the second diorama for the lift chamber... and so on and so on .

So, this is turning into the never-ending story rather quickly.

Normally I hate projects that go that way, because they have a habit of never getting finished, or delayed for years, but this case is different. Because once I have two walls and the basic floor completed (and I'm about 95% of the way to that point), I have an "operational" display peice. And from then on, just about any Space:1999 model I construct can be added to the diorama.

Which will be nice... cause I'm getting sick of those damn walls.... I wanna go back to building spine boosters and cargo pods, and other things that won't take friggin forever to finish.