Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
Howard
Deputy Commander

Default Can anyone identify the Eagle on page 27...

....of the SPACE:1999 issue of SCI-FI & FANTASY model international, issue #39, please?
It looks like the 1st 44" to me.
Also, if anyone has a larger / colour version of this picture, could you post it please?

Thanks!

Howard.
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

You are right Howard

I believe that it is an excellent reference photo of Eagle 1 about 3/4 of the way into season one. There are those here that can probably get the date more precise.

The photo clearly shows the meticulous weathering patterns and markings duplicated by JJL567 here http://www.projecteagle.ca

The photo is also interesting as one can see the toll the framework has taken by this stage of filming, and the original pod mounting brackets are still attached and visable. Much of the top walkway and shelf detailing is visable and identifiable. Of course the season two gas supply ring has not been added around the engines.

It is a very valuable photo, but I don't think a colour one exists.

On top of the ultra probe model pictured to the bottom right you can see a panther turret top used in kitbashing!
Gumdrop and Spider is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Is this the top profile shot? If it is, there is no colour version. It's one of the black and white photos Brian Johnson took for publicity and toy manufacturers. It shows the first Eagle near the end of the first series. Most of the panel shading had now been redone in only grey and a lot of the panel lines and edges emphasised with a black ball point pen. The article that David Sisson did on restoring the model features excellent colour photos of this scheme revealed when he stripped the top layers of paint.

Also on the photo, the red striping on the framework directly behind the CM and the red rectangular Sasco year planner stickers on the leg pods were over painted with orange (as depicted by the PE 12" version). Note that the rear two leg pods don't have the the small hemispherical Gemini bits on the angled faces, only the front ones. It's a common error to add them on all four pods as shown by the Phil Rae drawing opposite. A couple of shots do exist showing these Gemini bits on the rear but this is because front pods were plugged into the rear positions either by mistake or for the machinations of film production.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
Howard
Deputy Commander

Many thanks gentlemen, for you swift and detailed replies!
It seems there's no definitive Eagle '1' regards markings to work toward, only that which we perceive as such through its (it seems) many incarnations…
Saying that, I must admit to having a great fondness for this particular picture, with regards to the details upon the leg pods, and the overall cohesive look of the model.
It’s a shame this is the only picture of this version.
Still, better this than none at all!

Cheers!

Howard.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
Warin
Astrophysics Technician

Considering how often the call sign from Main Mission doesnt match the doors in the Command Module (which often change from shot to shot!), I suspect the numerical designations refer to their "ready" status. Eagle 1 is the Eagle prepped and ready for launch at a moments notice, rather than being a specific unit number. So, find a model you like and detail it as such

(this is how I justify it in my head, because otherwise the continuitiy errors would make me cry like a little girl )
Warin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Depending on the shots filmed, details on "Eagle 1" would also change in episodes as occassionally you would see the first 44", then later on in the same show of the same Eagle, it would have details of the second 44" model. I believe the best example of that was "Collision Course" where I think Alan's Eagle one and the rescue Eagle swapped a bit after they put the blackened burn marks on one of the models. Of course in the show, Eagle 1 usually would be the first Eagle to get trashed as it happened numerous times (deflected in "Ring Around the Moon", eaten by antibodies in "Space Brain", left on Psychon when it blew up etc...).

If you wanted to do it as Eagle 1, I would say the only real way to identify it as such would be putting a "1" on the aft cockpit door and then maybe another number on the aft cage door to the passenger pod. But in both cases, it would be tough to spot and with the second number position, not accurate to a studio model anyway (although not visible unless the passenger pod is detached).
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
Howard
Deputy Commander

Thanks for you comments everyone.
You're right JM, I guess my only course of action is to take elements from what I consider to be 'Eagle 1' and go with that image - and perhaps borrow the look from several of the 44" master builders here.
I keep harping on about the look - but there's no such thing and it's high time I gave up the search...

Howard.