Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Default Dismantling PE SPV

I'm thinking of upgrading the PE SPV, as the paint scheme and short wheelbase for the smaller wheels are beginning to annoy me. There is a good foundation for a decent model there.

It is not immediately apparent how I can dismantle the chassis and get to the axles. Anyone any ideas please? The tyres are the wrong shape, but unless I get lucky and find a car model with the right sort of tyres I might just have to live with the PE ones.

As far as I can tell, the body is accurate and won't need any work.

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Don't know how you went with this. I was really looking forward to this SPV but was hugely disappointed. The 2006 Corgi toys one is by far the best version...I know that sounds funny, but this PE one must have been copied from a model kit because it doesn't look like any of the studio ones. I think you can get into it by removing the covers, one on the underneath just behind the front bumper (it is the black thing) The other cover is the rear escape hatch.

You will need to remodel the top air intake tunnel as it is too box like at the rear. Good pictures will give you an idea of what I am trying to say. Model builders reference Vault has some great studio pictures.

You may have done all you wanted to on the model, so I hope its gone well.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Managed to dismantled the SPV, thanks to Tony42's tips. And after a bit of muscle managed to clip off the smaller wheels.

As Tony suggested there are a few other inaccuracies with this model and I'm not sure I can take care of them all. Replacing the tyres seems to be one hurdle I don't think I'm going to get over as I can't find suitable replacement tyres anywhere.

However I have identified (by the inaccuracies), which kit was used as the master. the very expensive 28" long Studio 2 kit which Comet sells seems to include everything which is wrong with the PE version (wrong detail on the smaller wheels, inaccurate top grill which Tony42 pointed out, wrong rounded tyres).

Anyway, at least I can now lengthen the wheelbase for the small wheels and I will see how much else I can be bothered fixing.

Keith
Old 21-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Pease post photos as you go. I may actually be inspired to fix mine. I have just set one of the Mobiles (Shado 2) aside at our toy collectors store, so when I get that and "fix" the weathering then I shall come back to the SPV.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

OK, here are some photos of the dismantled SPV. The first photo shows what you see once you remove the body, the second shows the parellel wires which clip to the cover and act to keep the axles from being too loose and provides the suspension.

As you can see I've snipped the axles of the smaller wheels once I removed the cover. I have obtained metal tubing which I will use to extend the wheelbase of these, but for the third photo I've just laid out these at the correct distance from the chassis. Also you will notice I have filled the incorrect detail on the hub and drilled out the necessary holes. Not particularly neat at this scale so copious dirtying down wil be called for.

I have done my best to obtain replacement tyres, even checking on Scalextrix ones, but unfortunately none are of the correct diameter for either size of wheel, so I'm going to have to stick with the PE ones.

More photos will follow as I progress.

Keith