Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Default Has anyone read "Exploring Space: 1999?"

I thought I might buy "Exploring Space: 1999," but some of the reviews make it seem like it's mostly a defense of the show (which I don't need). Anyone have an opinion?

I have Tim Heald's "Making of Space: 1999" book, which is okay, but not terribly insightful. Is there a good book out there about Space: 1999? Something that really goes into the history of it?
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
w8cmp
Science Officer

I'm reading it now...and while I have only read the first 10 or so pages, it does seem quite readable...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

I have read Exploring Space, but it was a while back and my memory of its quality is a bit a hazy, but having just had a quick flip through my copy, although it is probably a bit short on behind the scenes information, each episode does have a commentary, and there is a section on the critical reaction to the series which is quite informative. I seem to remember there is a certain amount of defensiveness, but mainly against comparisons people made to the 'Scottish Series'. Might have another proper look at it myself.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
cricket
Medical Officer

I have 'Exploring Space:1999' and like it. The author is an unabashed Space 1999 fan, but most of the book seems quite balanced and fair to both season one and two. I recommend it.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Terrainean
...... but mainly against comparisons people made to the 'Scottish Series'.
Ya canny change the laws of physics!
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

I'll have to consult my lawyers on that one...
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 03:53 AM   #7
Klankster
Chef

I picked up a copy some time back and read it just recently. I liked it quite a bit; it has some information on the production that I wasn't aware of. In fact, I liked it so much that I just ordered another copy for a friend last night from one of this forum's sponsors: Who North America. They had the hardcover version, which I had been wanting to buy for this guy, but Amazon didn't have it any more.

The author is definitely a slightly biased 1999 fan, but aren't we all? Overall he's pretty even-handed in his praise and criticism, plus it's fun to see people point out ideas that ST:TNG might have "borrowed" from 1999...
Klankster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 06:43 AM   #8
CR
Science Officer

I can't add much to what's already been said, and I reccommend reading it, at the very least. Muir is definitely more even-handed about both seasons than I would be, which makes the book more enjoyable for fans of either season (or both seasons, for that matter).
At the time I bought it, it was probably the best non-internet text resource available about S:99. (The book has just a few pictures, so don't hold your breath expecting any visual excitement.) Now that it's out in paperback, it's a lot cheaper than the library-reinforced binding hardcover edition I bought when the book was new.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klankster
...it's fun to see people point out ideas that ST:TNG might have "borrowed" from 1999...
My favourite is the expression "Resistance is futile". If I remember right it is in "The Dorcons".
Garuda is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Vogons have a similar expression, of course.
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 13-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #11
w8cmp
Science Officer

"Oh freddled gruntbuggy..."
Old 14-03-2007, 06:11 AM   #12
w8cmp
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
"..gruntbuggly"!!
No respect for the classics, some people...
Oops - sorry - missed the 'L' - which I of course knew should be there !
Old 19-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #13
Ron
Travel Tube Technician

I also read the book a few years ago, and liked it very much. It's a nice reference to individual episodes (I often tend to read the according section, before rewatching an episode), well written and for once a "real" book (not one of these cheap soft-covers).

It's not very in-depth and there's not a lot behind the scenes information (as mentioned before), but it remains my favorite book on the show so far.
Ron is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #14
MkIXHawk
Communications Officer

Quote:
plus it's fun to see people point out ideas that ST:TNG might have "borrowed" from 1999...
Such as the 'Alpha-Style' shuttlecraft launch pads in DS9
MkIXHawk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkIXHawk
Quote:
plus it's fun to see people point out ideas that ST:TNG might have "borrowed" from 1999...
Such as the 'Alpha-Style' shuttlecraft launch pads in DS9
I never watched DS9 all that much. Do you have a picture or a site you could show?
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 22-03-2007, 03:12 AM   #16
CR
Science Officer

They were rectangular, and lifted the Runabouts into launch position from a lower level hangar.
Old 24-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #17
zico
Waste Technician

Default Critical pursuits....?

I have not read the "guide" to which this thread refers, but I have a book: "Fantastic Television" which is useful in that it gives you a detailed record of each episode in the original running order...
but the two guys who did the book seem to be "Star Trek" fans...they sadly "Destroy" "Space : 1999" on about every critical level...they offhandedly dismiss the whole of season one as "Metaphysical claptrap" while season two is rubbished as "kiddies breakfast fodder"...(Boo ! Hiss !),....

and who says "Star Trek" OWNS the "TV Universe" anyway ?
- I do like "Star Trek", But why does everything else have to be judged against it ?, in "Dr.Who" for example (both 80's and todays) they are forever quoting "Star Trek Terminology"....and that show is 3 years senior to Roddenberry's one !!!

They go on, in the "Fantastic Television" book, to ask how the moon could survive that radiation blast that tore it out of orbit...or indeed the Earth survive...plus how if "aimed" they would NEVER encounter another world for billions of years , let alone planets with life....and ask why is the Lunar landscape always illuminated...?
(But then,why does the Enterprise "Whoosh" through space....? )

Then they comment on "snobby middle class aliens" and how the Aplhans are all "white collar space folk" etc...(is that a "Crime"....?, like how many "modern" "Dr.Who" fans now seem to think "Middle class accents" and Edwardian coats are a shameful thing....such sheer "predudicial claptrap" I say !!)

But so what...?, it's TV to entertain for goodness sake !!, yeah there were sci fi faults (mainly script weaknesses) but it is not meant to be "all real" or "true" is it ? (honestly some of these people take it all as if it is "reality")

I could pick holes in "Star Trek", or any other show....but surely then you begin to lose the very "entertainment factor" that Television is - if you think too deeply and critically about it and try to relate "fantasy TV" to "real life" too much - in my own view this is one of the biggest flaws in the new "Soap opera" aspects of the latest "Dr.Who" series....who wants "real life" for goodness sake ? (just look outside your front door for that !),
plus really just how "Realistic" ARE these damn silly "Soaps" anyway....?
how many "murders", "rapes","muggings", "punch ups" etc....can go on in one street or square ????

Sorry to "waffle" on...but I would love to see a balanced appraisal of "Space : 1999" on it's production,acting, directing effects and scripts aspects minus personal views....Plus details of the shows actual "Story"...in terms of WHY things changed on the show....
zico is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2007, 02:54 AM   #18
CR
Science Officer

One of the things that has soured my like of Star Trek over the years is the hypocrisy of its fans: they preach the Vulcan ideal of IDIC (Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations) while utterly failing to practice it themselves. I find their bashing of anything non-Star Trek to be disgusting.
I do still like ST, but not as much as I used to. And I'll be the first to admit that S:99, as much as I love it, has many flaws. The bottom line is that they are both tv shows, and they are two among many, many more, some better, many worse.
Good luck finding many books that even mention S:99 in any light... chances are most reports will be unfavourable.
Old 26-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #19
Klankster
Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR
One of the things that has soured my like of Star Trek over the years is the hypocrisy of its fans: they preach the Vulcan ideal of IDIC (Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations) while utterly failing to practice it themselves. I find their bashing of anything non-Star Trek to be disgusting.
Some friends and I went to a general SF convention in the late 1970s and entered the costume contest in our 1999 uniforms, and were soundly booed by the Trek fans. My friend Jon took the microphone from the MC and gave them a real tongue-lashing on this basis. It was great.
Klankster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #20
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR
Some friends and I went to a general SF convention in the late 1970s and entered the costume contest in our 1999 uniforms, and were soundly booed by the Trek fans. My friend Jon took the microphone from the MC and gave them a real tongue-lashing on this basis. It was great.
Wish I could have seen that! I'm glad you stood up for yourselves, and that the MC allowed Jon the microphone long enough to say something.