Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > The Hangar

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Closed Thread Bookmark and Share

Old 14-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Default "Rather Miffed" ;-) AT PRODUCT ENTERPRISE!

Like many I've been buying their Gerry Anderson diecasts and Dr Who collectable toys over the past few years and like many others I'm sure - there's ones I still have yet to get, but after looking at their revamped website I now find their business practices a complete and utter disgrace.

They promise so many things and don't deliver

Where's their 12 inch Cyberman they've been showing off for the last year or so?
Where's their 12 inch Tom Baker?
Where's the Captain scarlet diecasts they adverstised for ages?
I'm not so bothered about these - but where's the Irwin Allen diecasts also?

Now instead we have overpriced pieces of resin in their so called Iconic Replicas range [ producing what are effectively made up garage kits on the cheap and selling them at extortionate prices ]

I've never seen a company promise so much and let down so many people. Let's all organise a mass boycott of these new products!
FALLINGSTAR is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 14-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
preHEstoric
Astrophysics Technician

Have you seen the 5 foot inflatable Dalek?...really going for that serious collectors market aren't they!
preHEstoric is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 14-04-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
BrianS
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preHEstoric
Have you seen the 5 foot inflatable Dalek?
LOL - I missed that!

All I can say is - I have no ill will or animosity toward PE. They created some products that I really like. If they do not produce any more, they have still provided me a value I would otherwise not have gained. So I wish them nothing but the best in their future endeavors - and will keep an eye out for a collector's edition of an Eagle landing pad from them.
BrianS is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 14-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Have you seen the 5 foot inflatable Dalek?...really going for that serious collectors market aren't they!

Yeah, advertised in their write up as the "Rolls Royce of Daleks". Is it just me or have Product Enterprise suddenly become crap enterprise!
Old 14-04-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS
Quote:
Have you seen the 5 foot inflatable Dalek?
LOL - I missed that!

All I can say is - I have no ill will or animosity toward PE. They created some products that I really like. If they do not produce any more, they have still provided me a value I would otherwise not have gained. So I wish them nothing but the best in their future endeavors - and will keep an eye out for a collector's edition of an Eagle landing pad from them.
I do now! They shouldn't advertise things they can't deliver! I was really looking forward to their 12 inch Cybermen [ like I'm sure many people were ] and now there's no sign of them.

Old 14-04-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
brinkeguthrie
Computer Technician

Speaking of Rolls Royce's, I don't drive one. Which means I also can't afford the new studio sizes.
brinkeguthrie is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 14-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
fireflashfive
Eagle Pilot

I'm with you on that one. PE have given me ready built diecasts that I only dreamed about as a kid. The direction they have decided to take is entirely their legitimate business decision. As a collector of their diecasts, I do regret that no more are being produced in the foreseeable future, but who knows, they may change their minds again at some point. I don't know what the point would be for a 'mass boycott' of their products, but if that's what people want to do, that is also their right, Me? I'll vote with my wallet as there is little coming from them that interests me in the next year.

Doug.
fireflashfive is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 14-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
preHEstoric
Astrophysics Technician

I don't think this is PE bashing...just a opinion that their business plan may be flawed by concentrating on the high end / high priced products.

Given that a lot of these products have a long delivery time I wonder what how their cash flow predictions look without a steady stream of sales from their already established and higher volume products.

As has been mentioned in the other thread one badly made limited edition that doesn't sell harns their reputation and may be a considerable liability in a reduced catalogue of products.
preHEstoric is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 14-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

I'm disappointed but I'm not angry. I love the PE12s I bought, they are really nice. My thanks to PE for them I'm a little surprised PE downgrades itself by calling them "toys" now, they shouldn't, it was a fine product.

It's a little sad the diecasts are history, as it would have been nice to add the rest of the tanks and so on. I'm not sure the company's new direction will be a hit, but we'll see, and I have no ill will towards them.

Of course, abandoning promised products may alienate some customers.

To say something nice, I think the Comlock/Stungun set looks fine, and I would love to have it. Probably stick to my Eagles though.
Garuda is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 14-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #10
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

I'm both disappointed and angry. I've often stuck up for PE on various forums so I'm not a fan of PE bashing at all - but the way they've just suddenly put their website up without things they've been advertising for ages [ obviously because they have no intention of making them now ] is just plain bad.

I won't comment on the Hawk in diecast because in all fairness that was never advertised by PE, but the other things - especially the 12 inch Cybermen [ which looked very good from the photos I've seen ] should not have been advertised until they knew they could produce them.

Old 14-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #11
Century21Slough
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Personally there's nothing on Pe/IRs site that interests me, anyway. I fully intend to scratchbuild a Hawk, a Mobile, and a Skydiver in studio scale, so why blow money on smaller inaccurate versions?
Your right on the Button there JD, it looks like most of us here will sing off the same Hymn sheet on this, if you want a good job done, you got to do it yourself.
Century21Slough is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 14-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #12
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yep, same hymn sheet. Either do it yourself, or get one of our expert forum guys and friends to build stuff for you. In the end I guess that's how modeling started, and that's how it will continue no matter who stops making what for the market.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 14-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #13
FALLINGSTAR
Communications Officer

I can hardly wait for their "Classic deluxe Dr Who statue range" or the Shado Mobile [ which doesn't look as good as their diecast ones! ]. Not to mention the Fab 1 which isn't a patch on the accurate Aoshima [ formely Imai ] plastic kit. The Airfix Hawk isn't too bad so instead of buying their prop replica I'll make a few of those instead.

And their Seaview - sod that I'll get the new giant 24 inch Moebus injection kit which is coming out soon.
Old 14-04-2007, 10:45 PM   #14
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Knowing what PE and their website is like, going in with the attitude that nothing is guaranteed before it hits the shops, is a healthy way to avoid being disappointed. In my business there is always lots of talk but it doesn't mean a thing until signatures are on dotted lines. If having your hopes raised and then dashed makes you angry, don't let them raise your hopes. Market forces will tell PE if they're offering what people want and if they've got any sense, they'll take heed of any competition.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 14-04-2007, 11:51 PM   #15
brinkeguthrie
Computer Technician

Default Re: APPALLED AT PRODUCT ENTERPRISE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALLINGSTAR
Like many I've been buying their Gerry Anderson diecasts and Dr Who collectable toys over the past few years and like many others I'm sure - there's ones I still have yet to get, but after looking at their revamped website I now find their business practices a complete and utter disgrace.

They promise so many things and don't deliver

Where's their 12 inch Cyberman they've been showing off for the last year or so?
Where's their 12 inch Tom Baker?
Where's the Captain scarlet diecasts they adverstised for ages?
I'm not so bothered about these - but where's the Irwin Allen diecasts also?

Now instead we have overpriced pieces of resin in their so called Iconic Replicas range [ producing what are effectively made up garage kits on the cheap and selling them at extortionate prices ]

I've never seen a company promise so much and let down so many people. Let's all organise a mass boycott of these new products!

I really wanted the 12" Irwins.
brinkeguthrie is off duty   Bookmark and Share

Old 15-04-2007, 12:57 AM   #16
Warin
Astrophysics Technician

Default APPALLED AT SOME USERS!

No company exists solely to serve the whims of its clientele. Some companies make economic choices based on a profi per unit basis. So if 1 23" Eagle Supermarionation replic makes PE more than 50 of the smaller die-casts in terms of profit, which piece do you think they will make?

In a perfect world, Mr. PE would look at the feedback from places like this, and build product lines based on what people want. But that cannot always be the case. In this case, the owner of the company believes he is making the best choice for his company. It is his decision. Whinging on here and calling for a boycot seems, frankly, childish.

Vote with your dollars. Dont buy any of the remaining 12" stock. Dont buy anything new, even if it is a subject you want. That is far more effective and less childish than calling for some sort of boycott.

I would love it if there would be more small die casts models of the Hawk of other guest ships from Space:1999. But we know we are not going to see them from Product Enterprise or its new incarnation.

I do, however, like the looks of the complock/stungun set. At the price that's been set, I dont think I could buy and finish a resin kit myself, so I will be happy to plonk my cash down when they are available.
Warin is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 15-04-2007, 01:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Vote with your dollars. Dont buy any of the remaining 12" stock. Dont buy anything new, even if it is a subject you want. That is far more effective and less childish than calling for some sort of boycott.
isnt this the same thing??
  Bookmark and Share
Old 15-04-2007, 01:58 AM   #18
Eagle
Commander Ret.

I think we should just be thankful for a great run of the Eagle. Where were we a couple o' years back?... zip!

At least our collections may now rise in value?

And, who knows - someone may yet pick up the licence for more 1999 stuff.

The PE12 is dead - but the mighty Eagle lives on!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 15-04-2007, 05:25 AM   #19
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin
I thought the same thing as I was reading this thread.

Moving right along...

I'll admit I'm disappointed by the decision to discontinue the PE12's, as I've mentioned on the other threads pertaining to this topic.

Well, whatever... I've said before that I wish the company luck, but that I won't be riding along for the new direction it's taking. We'll all see soon enough if PE's decision will keep it going well or not at all (or somewhere in between).

Meanwhile, I really do hope that S:99 licensing isn't unobtainable to some other people, so that new products can continue to be made in the future.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share
Old 15-04-2007, 08:57 AM   #20
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
Not quite. One is an artificial organised form of blackmail where the other is genuine market forces. Ultimatums rarely work and people will still buy the items that PE continue to make that appeal to them. It would be much more effective writing to them politely expressing your constructive opinions without raving and signing the letter from Mr Angry. Besides not producing what we'd like to see, what exactly has PE done to any of us to warrant such venom? No one is entitled to anything. If PE choose to ignore a perceived niche in the market, it's entirely their choice. We can demand nothing.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share

Closed Thread