Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 20-09-2005, 06:37 AM   #1
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

Default 88" eagle project update

I added 3 pics on Fotki.com.

http://public.fotki.com/skyhopper/ea.../p9182551.html

Suggestions that also works for the 44":

1. To measure distances between the tubes I use the help of brass nooks. Otherwise You can't measure exactly distances between tubes (1/2 mm for instance). Works fine.

2. When soldering the cage fit in the X-tube before soldering all together. The X-Tube will fit much better. Make a master of wood or else, so You will be faster doing the others. You can check status on the master.

3. The copper corks (about 100 per cage!!) give very clean joints, but are eating my time. I will do the front cage with full copper rods. Is much heavier and more expensive, but allow me to finish the cages before Christmans and before my hands fall off.

By the way. Rear cage should be finished in the first or second October week. With my construction method up then I will have spent about 75 hours. The total estimated time for the cages and spine is about 120 - 130 hours. No restaurations after 29 years will be necessary! After that the next step will be the front cage and walkways based on the the great blueprints of Roberto Baldassari.
skyfullofstars is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
shrugger
Eagle Pilot

We gotcha
Keep us posted on your progress
shrugger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Looking good, that will be one impresive model when it is finished, please post some more pictures of 'WiP' if you can.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 01:24 AM   #4
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

Keep up the excellent work. What an amazing courageous project!
Gumdrop and Spider is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 08:43 PM   #5
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB
Looking good, that will be one impresive model when it is finished, please post some more pictures of 'WiP' if you can.
Hi Toni and everybody. Is that fine?

Update from my WIP. Pronghold. The hold is made of an aluminium profile, cut on the down side to fit exactly into the cage (6 mm settled). The mounting tube of copper fits exactly and snug into the hole on the profile. I used the studio support tube way, because it will spread the weight after soldering all over the cage and gives me the possibility to mount a small thin steel spike on the bottom, so the total weight of the eagle can be taken by the 4 landing pads and the two steel spikes in the two mounting tubes. Weight is so spread over six points. You wont notice the small steel spikes/needles and may be I will not need them anyway. But it is better to take in consideration every eventuality. I will camouflage them on the display stand. To distribute the pressure well all over the frame/cage, the aluminium prong will have two clamps inside who press against the copper mounting tube. So after all the soldering the weight dispension will be at its best. The tubes over the prong who hold it dawn will be of full copper rod and pinned to the cage tubes. If You look at the cage constuction You can follow my thoughts - I hope. So by now the weight/stability problem is resolved for me. I added three pics.

http://public.fotki.com/skyhopper/ea...d2_detail.html

And many other thoughts I have now. The CM will be very interesting. We all like it how it looks. But mine will be really big and the question is for me what is under the panels? Would You send in orbit Koenig and Co. without a minimum of safety gear? So there is plenty of room for f.e.:

emergency maneuvering thruster system
main parasail recovery chute
emergency canopy chutes
ejection system hatch to let out the two seats with the pilots if necessary
stabilizing drogue chutes
inflatable heat-shield (greetings from 2010 Leonow entering Jupiter orbit to slow down speed)
emergency de-orbit rocket motor system on the back
landing bag/flotation device

Yes, I plan to make most of the panels removable to show some inside stuff of the CM. I dont know exactly by now how I will do all these modifiction, but Im working on it from now on.

And to make it clear, the ideas are not only mine. I got them from the Eagle flight manual and technical overview from Monte R. Johnjulio Kennedyshipyards. Thanks Monte!

http://www.epier.com/store/kennedyshipyards/

Old 28-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #6
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Hi

Have you had a look at Roberto Baldassari's pages? Might give you ideas if nothing else...

http://www.space1999.net/users/eagle/
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 09:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Hi

Have you had a look at Roberto Baldassari's pages? Might give you ideas if nothing else...

http://www.space1999.net/users/eagle/
I have the blueprints from Roberto Baldassari. The walkways of my eagle will be like on his blue prints. Thanks anyway for the thought.
  Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:54 PM   #8
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

Default Re: 88" eagle project update

Rear cage nearly finished. 16 tubes and 8 spine holds left to do. Do You find the little PE Eagle frame part for comparison of the SIZE?

I will separate the sections soon and sand everything smooth. It does not look very good at the moment.

I took off the bell holds for placing a srew hole on each piece to hold the bells in place.

Remember, in every tube there are two copper corks to seal them. Everything is filed by hand, no milling machine. I'm at about 75 hours from the start.

The bell set is in the pipeline, hope my machinist can do it in the next two months.

I'm also working on the spine and a spine booster. Will put in pics when there is something to show.

I added 4 pics

http://public.fotki.com/skyhopper/ea...ar_cage_2.html

This project is crazy and my wife is realizing by now what I'm doing-ups!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #9
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default Re: 88" eagle project update

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfullofstars
...Do You find the little PE Eagle frame part for comparison of the SIZE?
Found it? I spat coffee all over my monitor!!!!

Great work so far!
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #10
Gumdrop and Spider
Astrophysics Technician

Nothing short of oustanding in workmanship, creativity and determination on this pioneering project. Keep up the excellent work!
Gumdrop and Spider is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2005, 10:21 PM   #11
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Good grief, that comparison picture show's just how big that monster of an Eagle is really going to be.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:22 PM   #12
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Good grief, that comparison picture show's just how big that monster of an Eagle is really going to be.

Wayhay, does this mean that I am the first person to double post on this forum.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #13
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

[quote="TonyB"]Good grief, that comparison picture show's just how big that monster of an Eagle is really going to be.

About size. I discussed with my machinist the main bells today. Some technical details on the rills etc. He will do the turning this or the next week. The size of the bells will knock me out of my shoes! I saw the computer drawing today! Double the studio size is not only great, it's just phantastic. The amount of aluminium needed is incredible. I saw the aluminium stock.. heavy,heavy. I will post pics as soon as I have the bells. So let's fasten our seatbelts.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #14
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

That'll be an aluminium billet roughly 7" to 8" long by 6" diameter for each one assuming that's enough to mount them in the chuck with and then you're going to turn 90% of that metal into swarf. Aluminium's not cheap either. You do realise you're completely mad?
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:17 PM   #15
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX
That'll be an aluminium billet roughly 7" to 8" long by 6" diameter for each one assuming that's enough to mount them in the chuck with and then you're going to turn 90% of that metal into swarf. Aluminium's not cheap either. You do realise you're completely mad?
Mad, yes I admit. Only the aluminium cost is about 400 US$. I took the aluminium rods in my hands today; heavy, very heavy. I wont go into details. I will have to add programming and turning of the four main bells to that. Later on come the VTOL engines for the walkways and the Labpod. The budget of this bird goes beyond every reasonable limits. The master for the CM (CNC milled) wasnt cheap too. I fear after two or three years I will not have standing an eagle on my shelf but a little treasure. Nobody will be willing to buy such a monster, even if I should decide to part from it. Well Im not smoking, my car is 11 years old and will go on for the next 3 or 4 years mustmust.

((And far , far down the road I can see an eagle of the next generation (about 110) with a modified engine section (bells 7,5 diameter, length about 10 + with lots of details do You remember the F1 Saturn V engines, I saw them with my eyes - wow) and a modified CM with 4 additional rocket engines with retractable landing gear like Im doing on one of my 44 under construction)).

Old 11-10-2005, 11:12 PM   #16
shrugger
Eagle Pilot

I see now. Your Working your way up to 1:1
shrugger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2005, 04:46 PM   #17
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

[.. modified CM with 4 additional rocket engines with retractable landing gear like Im doing on one of my 44 under construction)).[/quote]

I added two albums on fotki.com, a glimps of the modified 44" to explain the last post. This 44" is still under construction (I'm not satisfied with the connection front CM to rear part. I'm working on something new) and the started work on the big UP - three times the UP CM of monsters in motion and of one of my big studio UPs. They are based on the information in the net, calculated according pics and the CM of monsters in motion was the gard rail for the calculations. I will not make a studio copy, that makes no sense to me due to the fact, that I never had access to a studio model with exact measurements. So a rest of guessing will remain, but that doesn't bother me at all. I'm also calculating the same way a Swift in scale with the 44". This was /is much more difficult due to the few pics available. I just want to create the look of the ship at the studio size. The frames were made with a wooden jig and are made of massive brass road. Don't use plastic!, wont work. Spine is aluminium. See for details the article of Jim Small on his web site about the UP.
Old 13-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #18
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The UPCM Monsters In Motion is selling is very accurate to the studio CM that goes with the 5ft Ultraprobe. Ooh argh Jim Lad, ooh argh!
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #19
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX
The UPCM Monsters In Motion is selling is very accurate to the studio CM that goes with the 5ft Ultraprobe. Ooh argh Jim Lad, ooh argh!
Yes, I know. The one in two parts on the pic is one of them, I cut it in two parts for making an interior with lights.

http://public.fotki.com/skyhopper/ul...m_with_cm.html

Thanks anyway for the tip.
Old 26-10-2005, 04:34 PM   #20
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

Fasten Your seat belts and be ready for take off. I added 3 pics of the first main bell (1840 gramms each). Enjoy.

http://public.fotki.com/skyhopper/ea...in_bell_2.html