Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Main Mission > Launch Pad

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 AM   #21
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That's a good point. I love the fit on Uncle Bills cages here. Paul is it as good as the photos suggest?
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #22
JAWSMODELS
Weapons Technician

Damn these birds are sexy in tha raw. Lovin this thread. Real eye opener. Thanks.
JAWSMODELS is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #23
paul gray
Forum Supporter

hi Tony
the fit on these is wonderful, just a very small amount of tidying up required to get a perfect fit. i have had a busy morning on the model , the wife has gone shopping and the boys are busy on the wii, bliss.
with Bill's bits the main engine rings are slightly smaller than DX's brass rings it means my aluminium bits dont fit, so i have had to alter the parts that come with Bill's kit. these parts are hollow, so first thing to do was fill up with resin, let it set ,then drill a hole to accomodate the screw that holds the bell in place. glue a washer and then a nut onto the rear of this piece making sure you test fit the engine bell on every one to make sure the nut is perfectly centred or the bell wont sit right on the back. once all 4 are done then glue onto the rings, place a piece of plastic tube into the holes and then carefully pour resin into the rings until it is flush with the top of the ring. once set remove the tube and cut away any raised resin where the tube was. glue in place the round ball bits( someone tell me what these are called please!) . then glue in place the white metal pieces into the rear of the big tanks( again test fit in place before glue fully sets) and then glue onto the frame. hmmm, sounds simple doesn't it. i am half way through this ,pictures so far and with a bit of luck will have the bells atached later today
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #24
Bigyan65
Astrophysics Technician

I am definately up for the Uncle Bill spine etc also.
Bigyan65 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #25
Stormy320
Weapons Technician

If it's good enough for Paul, I should look into one too.
Stormy320 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #26
Sage the Owl
Astrophysics Technician

I contacted Bill a few weeks ago about obtaining some of his 44" parts but he replied that due to the current backlog of requests (he had work that would keep him busy until Christmas at least) he wasnt able to take any additional orders for these items so I guess that we will all have to be patient.
Sage the Owl is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #27
uncle bill
Astrophysics Technician

Sage is right, I am not taking any orders for the Eagle parts at this time. Apart from the backlog I'm not a Little sick of making them. Its time to get something else molded, next up is the large UFO and the Thunderiser needs to be finished. There is a lot to do and I'm the worlds slowest at doing.
Uncle Bill
uncle bill is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 03:40 AM   #28
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

And Bill, the care you take shows mate. Top marks. Paul the fit of the bell looks spot on. A good solution.
Old 13-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #29
paul gray
Forum Supporter

not quite as productive a weekend as i would have liked. the main problem was my engine bells. i had done all the test fitting with 2 spare bells i had left from all the sets i had sold ( i have a complete set aswell for the rest of the model) and the hole for the bolt is 6mm wide hence the 6mm bolts. when it came to get another 2 from my complete set the holes were only 4mm wide. this wouldn't have been too bad if i hadn't spent ages gluing 6mm bolts into the fuel tanks and then attaching them to the frame, i couldn't undo all this so i had to make the holes bigger. you would think this would be a simple job, but it took me hours and buckets of sweat to drill out these 2 holes to 6mm, so any hope of working on the spine went out the window because of this. any way , here's the state of play so far. the round tanks were attached either side , with small groves filed into the appropriate pipes to get a better join. the main fuel tanks were given another smooth down the white metal attachments were glued into the ends and then they were glued in place . these need a little more detailing added ( which is included in the kit) and then a full test fit of all 4 engines. it's starting to look like an eagle now.
cheers Paul

Old 13-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #30
w8cmp
Science Officer

Yup - I had to drill out the holes in my bells too as my bolts were slightly too big. Spent ages doing one with a 6mm bit in my Minicraft 12v drill, which kept tripping out under the load. Then I decided to go with my Bosch cordless drill and it cut through them like butter in seconds...job done !

Oh well - you live and learn !
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #31
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

The hours weren't wasted, they appear to be nice and straight. You wouldn't want to be off centre with one of them. Good stuff.
Old 16-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #32
ResinBabes
Travel Tube Technician

Outstanding work! Your photos are very helpful as build reference.
Thanks for posting.

Gregory
ResinBabes is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #33
paul gray
Forum Supporter

not a lot of progress during the week as i have been busy at work, but here are a few more pics. some of you will be familiar with my cage walkways, but for those who aren't they are machined pieces of chemiwood and i have had one end drilled out to make it lighter( weighing in at 400gms per walkway) as this eagle has the resin cages. tonight i put on the side detailing, the top detailing will have to wait until walkway is insitu as it wouldn't go into the cage with it stuck on. these kit bits are all detailed on "the plans". when i started the project i bought the ema parts for the walkway shelves and made these early on and they have been sitting in a cupboard for months , again all the parts are listed on "the plans". next on the list i think will be to do the smaller pipe detailing on the fuel tanks. hopefully get this done over the weekend along with some more sanding on the spine parts. thanks for all the kind words and encouragement, hopefully the end product will look o.k.
cheers Paul

Old 17-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #34
T70MkIII
Communications Officer

Coming along really nicely, Paul
T70MkIII is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #35
paul gray
Forum Supporter

just been doing a quick bit on the spine tonight, no glue just test fitting, coming along fairly quickly
cheers Paul

Old 20-09-2010, 04:54 AM   #36
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I keep marvelling at Uncle Bill's work. Exciting times.
Old 21-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #37
paul gray
Forum Supporter

a few spare hours this afternoon, should get it done tonight
cheers Paul

Old 21-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #38
healvis
Communications Officer

I would love to get my hands on a 22" version of that spinework it's stunning. Paul your a lucky man.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #39
paul gray
Forum Supporter

just finished the spine and i cant believe how light it is. it weighs 6oz. i have just weighed my brass spine for comparison and that weighs 1lb 12 oz's , quite a difference.next up will be to mark up the side pods for the detailing and then stick on boss man's laser cut pieces.
cheers Paul

Old 22-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #40
paul gray
Forum Supporter

Had a bit of spare time today and this evening so a bit more progress. For those of you who haven't seen the side pods before the ones I have have been made from a material called chemiwood, that can be machined and leaves an ultra smooth surface that can be painted. It's a very complex shape and there is no way I have the skill set to make one of these from scratch, let alone 4 of them. They were machined to accept the side prong and give a very stong structure. The first thing I have done is to draw around all the panel detail and then double check to make sure they are all in the right place. I need to mention these are the detail kits that "our guv" (Bernie) produces and they are brilliant, a must have for anyone making an Eagle as they save bucket loads of time and there is no way I could cut a circle as cleanly as these have been cut. The slight raised edge is sanded off and then slow setting super glue is applied to a scrap piece of plastic and the panel is then wiped through the glue to give a thin coating and then carefully put in place, make any adjustments and firm down. When all the panels are in place I then added JD's resin kit detail pieces which are so beautifully cast they look like the actual kit parts and not resin pieces - great job JD. I had the time for 2 of the pods today but probably won't get the others done until the weekend.
Cheers, Paul

Last edited by JD; 22-09-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Formatting, caps