Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 12-12-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
w8cmp
Science Officer

Default PE 23" Loads of Pictures

For those of you contemplating purchase, or awaiting delivery, I have uploaded 96 pictures of the PE 23" Eagle model to a folder on the web where you are free to download them for your personal use...

http://www.hovercraft-museum.org/eagle/PE23/

Sorry it's a quick and dirty webpage - no frills as I was pushed for time, but at least you'll be getting the pictures in their original full resolution.

Beware that each pic is between 600k and 1Mb in size so it might take a while to download the lot !!!

Chris
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Tell me Chris, what's the spine like? Round or oval in cross-section?
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
w8cmp
Science Officer

Looks pretty round to me...can only examine the ends of the spine of course but it definitely looks round.

However looking more at the model, you tend to spot errors...

The very ends of the corridor frameworks (behind the command module and engines) will need some cleaning up and perhaps drilling out.

The diagonal braces in the engine framework do not exist on this model & will need adding...

And I don't like the small thrusters on the landing gear pods - just like the RU Eagle, they're angled out and mis-aligned slightly.

The 'windows' on the roof of the passenger pod are undersized and will need correction (i.e. frames are too thick)

That's for starters...I'm sure we'll identify more as more people get hold of this model and perhaps we can come up with a definitive list of fixes including methods for disassembly...right now I'm too frightened to do anything to it for fear of beaking something
Old 12-12-2005, 10:31 PM   #4
Rdrunner
Eagle Pilot

Thanks for the photo reviews, Chris, you must have been busy

downloading all that photos, I also envy you, ( #42 of 1500 )

Ken
Rdrunner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:03 PM   #5
w8cmp
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler

Thanks for the photo reviews, Chris, you must have been busy

downloading all that photos, I also envy you, ( #42 of 1500 )

Ken
No problem...I know what it's like when you don't have a model in front of you and some other people do...you're after pictures and information so that's what I try to provide...

It helps having a fast digital camera, and plenty of webspace to fill !

I'm also happy with no. 42 ! Still sitting here staring at it on my lounge coffee table, though have had a few moans this evening from the wife asking when it's going to be moved...

I suppose it may have to go upstairs out of sight after tomorrow (sigh)

Old 12-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
Rdrunner
Eagle Pilot

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

That cannot happen, it looks like an awesome center piece.

but I guess you can't argue with the Mrs. or else
Rdrunner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 06:32 AM   #7
sliuman
Forum Supporter

Looks good, Chris. Thanks for the photos, they make for good viewing.
sliuman is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Wow…so many pics, so many close-ups…makes me feel like I own the model already!!!

Funny little detail on the pic# 96….the Eagle appears with a detached pod…mmmhmmm…interesting…

Thanks Chris, excellent reference material!
Jorge
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Chris, you haven't got any photos a bit more detailed than that have you? I can't quite make out the atomic structure of the materials used.

DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 11:31 AM   #10
w8cmp
Science Officer

Hmmm....cheeky bu**er !

Thought people would appreciate close ups of key areas before deciding whether to purchase.

Problem is the close ups reveal flaws which you don't even notice when looking at the model

Old 13-12-2005, 11:43 AM   #11
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Close ups are always good. Tongue, as always, is planted firmly in cheek.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #12
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Heh, mine is now unpacked and sat in one of my display cabinets, good job I made space for it at the weekend, and it only justs fits.

And yes you were right it did fly a round the room a couple of times,
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #13
skyfullofstars
Astrophysics Technician

Default Re: PE 23" Loads of Pictures

Many thanks for sharing the pics with us!! Looks good in the show case. I guess You will put on Aluminium bells sooner or later.
skyfullofstars is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #14
w8cmp
Science Officer

As soon as Jim's able to supply a set I'll be there with replacement bells...
Old 13-12-2005, 06:10 PM   #15
grefno
Chef

Mine's just arrived today. Haven't had a chance to look at it properly yet as the wife's family are arriving for Christmas tomorrow and I've been told to put it away until there's room again for me to examine it properly. What a bore! Guess in the meantime, 'll be looking at the photos too... But from a quick look, it's reasonably impressive-looking from the point-of-view of a very slow modelmaker like myself who's not remotely as experienced as most of you chaps.

Some stuff that struck me straight away, though: the four directional thrusters look REALLY wrong, as our Dep. Commander has already pointed out. Even if I do nothing else, these will need to be drilled out and the alignment re-jigged - either that or totally replaced. PE have very kindly indented the PE logo and copyright notices on the pod underside though, so these can be easily filled, if desired! And those coffin shapes on the top are there in their infuriatingly stubborn glory of wrongness.

But I guess there is here the potential for a complete customization job...

grefno is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-12-2005, 08:08 AM   #16
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I had mine delivered on Monday, unpacked it Tuesday and it is sat in one of my cabinets, but only just, it was a tight squeeze.

Unfortunately, the second part of this order will be arriving later today, this is the Dog House part of order unfortunately, as the other half finally realised just how much thing actually cost.

Lets just say it is a bit quiter around here than it normal is, personally I blame the other Tony, its been his bad influence on me over the years that has caused this
Old 14-12-2005, 10:26 AM   #17
doon
Communications Officer

Glad to hear that it is not as bad as originally thought
I've had to take a long hard look at price and SPACE, and it looks like I'm short on both If I do take the plunge it would have to be suspended from the ceiling) I'll just have to burn my allowance on accurizing and housing my present ones.
As far as significant others & the cost, One could explain that other hobbies cost far more than eagle addiction , like gambling, malt liquor tasting, the "tart" of the week club I find the "could be worse" tactic works best
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 06:00 PM   #18
w8cmp
Science Officer

I don't smoke and don't generally drink (as I'm usually driving) so we save a fair bit of money there in my estimate.

I'm not in to football, going down the pub or any other expensive hobbies (except for my car which does cost a fair bit), so as far as I'm concerned it could be a lot worse...

True my Ebay addiction and modelling / collecting hobby has taken over the downstairs of the house, spare room(s), loft, Big Yellow storage unit etc, but I just put that down to needing a bigger house (2 of us living in a 3-bedroom semi)

However when I say all of this I just get 'the look' and she walks away...I wonder what that means
Old 14-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #19
doon
Communications Officer

When she goes silent, I go hidding
doon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 08:57 PM   #20
TonyB
Forum Supporter

w8cmp wrote:
Quote:
I don't smoke and don't generally drink (as I'm usually driving) so we save a fair bit of money there in my estimate.
I do not drink much these day's either, (and I certainly never drink and drive, I spill too much of it into my lap ), and I have never smoked, unfortunately this, as the other Tony will testify is an old long worn out augument in this neck of the woods, or he would testify if he actually registered on the site, and posted something, (eh Tony I know that you will read this so I need to have another dig).

I hardly if ever go out to the pub or similar, I prefer to spend what bit of money I have on my hobby. I too spend loads of time on Ebay, however I am usaully selling rather than buying, again to finance the hobby and pay for such things like Christmas and the new fridge we just had to have the other week,

Trouble is like a lot of you other guy's, (glad to see I am not alone here), the other half does not appreciate that fact , and she comments that I have far too much, and I use her term here, 'childish crap', the thing is as I pointed out this out to her this afternoon in a very annoyed fashion, that I have have just sold a huge load of my 'crap' to pay for the new fridge and all the food etc etc etc for Christamas, which when you think about it does not make it so 'crap' after all.

I think that even my wife has now realised that she harped on about it far too much this time, well hopefully she has......