Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Default 2001 Blu-ray release Oct. 23

Genres: Science Fiction

Starring: Keir Dullea
Director: Stanley Kubrick

Plot Synopsis: 2001: A Space Odyssey is a countdown to tomorrow, a road map to human destiny, a quest for the infinite. It is dazzling, Academy Award®-winning visual achievement, a compelling drama of man vs. machine, a stunning meld of music and motion. It may be the masterwork of director Stanley Kubrick (who co-wrote the screenplay with Arthur C. Clarke)… and it will likely excite, inspire and enthrall for generations.

Disc Features:
• Audio commentary with stars Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood
• Audio-only interview with Kubrick
• Channel 4 Documentary: "2001: The Making of a Myth"
• Featurettes: "Standing on the Shoulders of Kubrick: The Legacy of 2001," "Vision of a Future Passed: The Prophecy of 2001," "2001: A Space Odyssey - A Look Behind the Future," "2001: FX and Early Conceptual Artwork," "Look: Stanley Kubrick!"
• Theatrical trailer

As well as the improved picture quality, there are few extras on the disc that are a first for DVD.

I have a Blu-ray player and there is a significant upgrade in picture quality.

Marty...
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

It also released as a two disc set on standard DVD on the same day. I assume the extras will be similar.

Marty...
Old 20-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Garuda
Eagle Pilot

That's good news. Looks like an interesting release.

But in my case it will be on "old fashioned" DVD, if I decide to buy it.
Garuda is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
chas b
Geological Technician

Will the 'old fashioned' release be an improvement in picture quality over the release that is currently available?
The copy I have has the worst picture quality of all the DVD's I own.
That's despite being 'digitally remastered'.
chas b is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Not sure which DVD, you have but the edition released 2/3 years back [the one in the presentation box with the soundtrack CD] has an excellant picture quality.

The version before that was a little drecky.

Marty...

Old 22-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
captainjamie
Communications Officer

Default Call Me A Heretic If You Like...

Saw 2001 on a big screen while at a rock night. 2001 with a classic rock soundtrack works wonderfully!
captainjamie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

Try this:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...oid=1053860513

I'm no Floyd fan far too pretentious, for my liking as someone who works in the 'biz', I much prefer the likes of the Kinks, Buzzcocks, Damned and Aussie rockers the Church.

The story goes...

Kubrick requested use of the Atom Heart Mother suite in Clockwork Orange. Waters expressly denied permission for it use in the film. But, alledgedly he regretted the descsion pretty quickly.

As part homage to Kubrick and in-band joke, Echoes from the Meddle was sequenced around the Infinate and Beyond act of the 2001. There is no suggestion it was ever recorded as an alternate 2001 soundtrack.

It does time out perfectly with the movie and the mood shifts do fit neatly with the visuals. Is it true, you decide...

I much prefer the 'original' classical soundtrack.

The only way to see 2001 is in it's original Cinerama format, the Bradford Pictureville which is the only UK theatre [and one of two in the world] capable showing in this format does occasional have screenings in Cinerama. I have caught it twice, in recent years and it worth the effort to see it in this format.

Marty...
Old 06-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
Warin
Astrophysics Technician

It appears the Kubrick films are getting the Blu Ray and HD-DVD treatment.

I've got Clockwork Orange, 2001, and Full Metal jacket on HD-DVD pre-ordered from Amazon!

Woohoo!
Warin is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:25 AM   #9
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

OT: Marty Hopkirk, you have excellent taste in music!
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
jackkillian
Waste Technician

How many people listen to the audio commentaries. I have listened to a few but its either really good or really bad. Sometimes the ones were it has nothing to do with the movie are the best. I would have to say my all time favorite audio commentary is Rambo: First Blood. Its by the writer of the book who saw the movie only after it came out. Talks about the differences between the book and the movie and his reaction when he saw it and the general audiences reaction. How the movie was to violent yet he does a body count throught the movie and compares it to his book which extremely more violent.
jackkillian is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 15-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
cricket
Medical Officer

I like audio commentaries, but you're right when you say they tend to be either really interesting or deathly dull. My family is working our way through the entire Stargate SG1 series at present, and the commentaries from the techie guys on how things were done tend to be the best, IMO.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #12
Mola Rob
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_D View Post
The best audio commentaries i have heard are the John Carpenter/Kurt Russell ones on The Thing, Escape \from New York and Big Trouble In Little China
I love it when those two get together for commentaries. You can hear the beer being opened. Some times they ramble on about nothing in particular but it's still funny and entertaining. I wish they would do the commentaries for movies they had no part in.
Mola Rob is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #13
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

My Blu-ray disc arrived from the colonies courtesy of Deep Discount DVD. The first thing to report is it appears to be region free, least ways it plays fine on our PS3 with no problems what-so-ever. There is no release date for a Euro release of the DVD in Blu-ray format, the standard 2 disc set I belive has a March release date.

The quality and detail is absoultely amazing, the only slight downside is, it does start to reveal the limitation of the filming process -- particularly the Dawn of Man chapters - the backdrops can be clearly seen as just that. The resolution on the models has to be seen to be believed. However, my overwhelming impession is of the brightness and starkness of the almost buring white of Kubricks vision of the future.

Marty...