Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 25-08-2007, 01:31 AM   #1
Mike
Astrophysics Technician

Default British comedy

Just bought the eighth series of dads army on dvd to add to its predecessors.
always loved british comedy, i have steptoe and son and are you being served on dvd along with allo allo and anything by the two ronnies either as a team or solo. i still recall "wispering grass" by the cast of it aint half hot mum.......... , oh and some mothers do ave em, esp the first season.

ive always found british TV to have that extra bit of class, im not a rev head, the only thing i know about cars is if you stick your hand under the bonnet thingy, they come out dirty, but ill happily watch top gear (complete with stolen music and sound effects from ufo) what is a "stig" anyway.............

heres what i mean by class................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10dmK7O-KSY

and this classic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLKaLvrtn-8
Mike is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Steptoe and Son and Dad's Army are hard to beat. Always favourites of mine, I have the complete series too. The US tried it's own version of Dad's Army and like the US Red Dwarf, was absolutely dire. Steptoe and Son had it's US version, Sandford And Son which although not bad, didn't really translate well. The problem is that both series are based around formats quintessentially British so it doesn't travel well. How can you have a US version of a series about a group of local defence volunteers guarding their country from German invasion?
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Eagle
Commander Ret.

"Don't tell him, Pike!"
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
RussellE
Astrophysics Technician

Not familiar with these shows, But wanted to thank you for posting the links to YouTube. For the first time I was able to see what Windsor Davies looks like. Enjoyed his vocal acting in TerraHawks. Thanks.
RussellE is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

"Aye, we're all doomed!!!"

Old 25-08-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
cricket
Medical Officer

To the Manor Born
Bless me, Father

Pure enjoyment!
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
captainjamie
Communications Officer

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Windsor Davies appear in an episode of UFO? Boy, that series could have been different had he been playing Ed Straker...

"Now then Ford, my lovely boy..."

My favourite comedies are anything by Spike Milligan. Throw in some Dave Allen (ok, he's Irish) and some Bill Bailey and that should give me enough viewing and laughs for a good comedy session.

Spike Milligan: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YyPOb-cRv1I

Dave Allen (language warning on this one, I cried when I first saw it and it still causes me hysterics now): http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4IfoUM6a4bA

Bill Bailey: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LKtxg1D7vZw
captainjamie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Windsor Davies played a guard on a security gate at a Shado airfield IIRC.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
TonyB
Forum Supporter

And no one has thus far has mentioned Fawlty Towers, which is as good now as it was in the 70s, brilliant comedy.

The Good Life.
Open All Hours.
Are you Being Served.

Rising Damp, which to be honest was a sitcom I never really liked in the 70s but appreciated the humour when I watched some episodes a couple of years back.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

No one's mentioned Tommy Cooper yet.... British comedy at its best. I'm very pleased to say I grew up with all these.... Dad's army.... Fawlty Towers, the Goodies, Monty Python, Are you being served, Some Mothers do ave'm, Spike Benny Hill, Ripping Yarns etc etc
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 26-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Tommy Cooper only had to stand there and he had me in hysterics. True genius.
Old 26-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #12
Jade Falcon
Communications Officer

Do you know one show I liked and it seems to be unhappily near forgotten is a comedy called Get Some In, about a group of National Servicemen in the RAF in the early 50's. It's apparently being considered for DVD release by Network DVD. Starring Robert Lindsay and later Karl Howman it also had Tony Selby playing an excellent part as the bullying Drill Instructor Corporal Percy Marsh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/ar...99001255.shtml

I also liked Citizen Smith, also starring Robert Lindsey.
Jade Falcon is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 11:46 PM   #13
CR
Science Officer

My dad and I still love Fawlty Towers after all these years, and we enjoyed The Goodies when it used to be shown on the local PBS affiliate. PBS used to show a lot of different things back then (the late 1970's into the early 1980's), and it's where I discovered most of the British humour I know.
Though not British, we also discovered Dave Allen & Paul Hogan around the same time. I think (if I recall correctly) that one of the local cable stations showed them after Benny Hill. Haven't seen a line-up like that since then!
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 12:14 AM   #14
captainjamie
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Falcon
Do you know one show I liked and it seems to be unhappily near forgotten is a comedy called Get Some In, about a group of National Servicemen in the RAF in the early 50's. It's apparently being considered for DVD release by Network DVD. Starring Robert Lindsay and later Karl Howman it also had Tony Selby playing an excellent part as the bullying Drill Instructor Corporal Percy Marsh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/ar...99001255.shtml

I also liked Citizen Smith, also starring Robert Lindsey.
I remember that. Only very vaguely but I do. I remember Tony Selby as the Drill Instructor. Didn't see much of him on tv again until his role as Sabalom Glitz in a couple of Doctor Who stories.

Network do some very good releases, don't they? Has anyone seen the Pipkins or Goodies LWT series DVDs? I'd love to see the episode with the giant Dougal released. Kitten Kong's image of Twinkle bringing the Post Office tower down defined a generation.

Fawlty Towers - I remember watching The Germans with a load of Norwegian students in a halls common room in Manchester. They loved it. Especially the bit where the Moose is talking to the Major and then when Basil really goes for it with the funny walk... I don't speak much Norwegian but the hysterics and crying showed that they were rather enjoying it.
captainjamie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 12:19 AM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR
My dad and I still love Fawlty Towers after all these years, and we enjoyed The Goodies when it used to be shown on the local PBS affiliate. PBS used to show a lot of different things back then (the late 1970's into the early 1980's), and it's where I discovered most of the British humour I know.
Though not British, we also discovered Dave Allen & Paul Hogan around the same time. I think (if I recall correctly) that one of the local cable stations showed them after Benny Hill. Haven't seen a line-up like that since then!
Before he went to Hollywood Paul Hogan did some really funny stuff in Australia.

Old 27-08-2007, 01:32 AM   #16
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42
Before he went to Hollywood Paul Hogan did some really funny stuff in Australia.
Indeed. This was a few years before Crocodile Dundee.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #17
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I have the opening episode of 'Get Some In' on VHS.

Tony Selby - "My name is Marsh! That's B - A - S - T - A - R - D Marsh!"

I've also still got one of the Paul Hogan shows on tape. I always likes the small sketch he did each week with his real life producer playing his surfer dude flat mate. This was all well pre Crocodile Dundee.

BTW does Crocodile Dundee constitute Sci Fi. I want to add Linda Kozlowski to the Babes thread. Phwoar!
Old 27-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #18
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-SFX
I have the opening episode of 'Get Some In' on VHS.

Tony Selby - "My name is Marsh! That's B - A - S - T - A - R - D Marsh!"

I've also still got one of the Paul Hogan shows on tape. I always likes the small sketch he did each week with his real life producer playing his surfer dude flat mate. This was all well pre Crocodile Dundee.

BTW does Crocodile Dundee constitute Sci Fi. I want to add Linda Kozlowski to the Babes thread. Phwoar!
No but don't let that stop you
Old 27-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #19
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Doubtless Linda has watched Star Wars at some point so that makes her a Sci-Fi Babe in my book.
Old 27-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #20
marty_hopkirk
Astrophysics Technician

I picked the entire run of Citizen Smith, spread over 6 DVD's and two volumes, for less than a tenner from a bargain bucket store about a year ago

Keep eyes peeled...

Marty...
marty_hopkirk is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote