Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Breakaway

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 29-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Default Buck Rogers

I just got my "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" DVD set. $25.00 from Amazon. It was $90.00 or something like that when it first came out. The show was originally on when I was in high school.

It's really unfortunate that Glen Larson was the guy to bring both of the major "sci fi" shows to prime time in the late 70s-early 80s. The first season of Buck Rogers is mostly a crime show in space -- many of the stories revolve around criminals who happen to be aliens.

The show was revamped for the second season, with the gang boarding a recycled ship from the first season to have a more Star Trek-like adventure. I only saw a couple of the episodes of the second year -- 25 years ago, so I'm looking forward to seeing if they are better than the average first year episodes.

I'm still a fan, though. I always like Gil Gerard as Buck and Erin Gray was hot as a blond or a brunette. As with Battlestar Galactica, there are many things that are cool about the show -- but the writing isn't one of them.

Anyway, good price at Amazon if you are interested.
AceMartini is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Unfortunately Buck Rogers suffered from the time, too much Disco influence in there. I enjoyed the series when first transmitted here in the late 70s, however I watched it again recently as I too bought seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and some of it is really cringe worthy, unlike some 70s series this one does not stand up to the test of time quite as well, mainly due to the aformentioned Disco influences, mind you some of the episodes are still quite enjoyable.

Hawk's ship is about the best thing from season 2, apart from Erin Gray of course, fortunately season 2 is only a short season around a dozen episodes or so.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
w8cmp
Science Officer

I have both seasons...good for a laugh now and then, and to oogle at Wilma Deering in those jumpsuits...

Oh and of course for model reference...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
AceMartini
Communications Officer

Watched part of an episode this morning: Buck has a fever and only he can see that the members of an arriving delegation are not who they claim to be.

Hmmm.
Old 29-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
cricket
Medical Officer

Someone watched Bringers of Wonder, methinks.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 30-08-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

That's just embarrassing
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

One neat idea in the series (the only neat idea ?) was to bring Buster Crabbe into one episode as a guest star. Damn the bloody robot though !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
CR
Science Officer

The Fighting 69th, or something... a squadron of retired pilots makes one last flight to save the day. Not a bad idea, especially using Buster Crabbe (wasn't Peter Graves in it, too?). I don't remember if the actual execution turned out well, though...
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
AceMartini
Communications Officer

I've just started to watch some of these episodes. I was going to watch the 2nd season episodes first, since I haven't seen many of them. But my first forray into the 2nd season left me a little bit nauseated and I decided to start from the beginning.

I watched the 90-minute pilot film yesterday. It was okay, but woodenly directed. The effects were decent for the day -- in fact, some of the matte paintings were quite good. The starfighters are cool and it's realy going to make me want to restore my high school kit.

Gil Gerard is quite good, in my opinion. He rises above the rather mediocre production.
Old 31-08-2007, 05:14 AM   #10
CR
Science Officer

The starfighters were one of the best parts of the series, IMO. (The skimpy outfits painted onto the female cast members were also a great part!)
I remember little of season 2, other than it kind of sucked. Felt like a bad Star Trek-wannabe.

Ooo, I remember a funny article in Starlog. The author had been a writer for season 1, but lamented the direction the show took with action over substance, and its focus on Buck over any of the other characters. Funny article, though, and a neat insight into producers dumbing down a show to what they thought the audience wanted/could handle. (Space: 1999, anyone?) I might be getting my old Starlogs out of storage soon, so I'll try to look up the issue number of the article when I do so.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #11
AceMartini
Communications Officer

I watched the first two episodes this morning. They were actually better than I had expected. Gil and Erin both give life to their characters. The stories were decently structured runarounds, with uneven direction at times -- but generally fun. The beautiful full size starfighter makes an appearance in the first episode -- on an actual location away fom the studio.

What surprised me is that I had forgotten about the nice miniatures made for the show. Buck Rogers has a new ship in each of the first two shows -- with one being a nifty fighter that I don't remember at all. I think BG maybe had one new design after the pilot movie.

And, probably the best thing about the episodes overall is the cleavage.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
cricket
Medical Officer

I'm just back from DragonCon in Atlanta and had the chance to sit in on a panel with Gil Gerard and Erin Grey. Very interesting. Grey is articulate, lovely and very gracious. Gerard is, shall we say, rather full of himself. Still, the two are obviously still quite friendly and the verbal byplay was interesting. Both felt the first year was pretty good, and the second a pathetic joke, and they are not shy in saying so. Apparently the rights to the character are again on the market and we may be facing a re-imagining of the character sometime in the near future.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #13
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Another remake..
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:59 AM   #14
AceMartini
Communications Officer

That's very cool, Cricket. I hope that if there is a remake, it's not as bad as the new Flash Gordon.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:02 AM   #15
Galactica53
Medical Technician

all these posts and not a single word about Twiki Damn LOL Felix was great as Twiki he lives here in Vegas were good friends, to hear some of his stories about the show from his point of view is HILARIOUS

Cameron
Galactica53 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2007, 02:10 AM   #16
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Hi Cameron, thanks for joining us.

Mark
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:22 AM   #17
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactica53 View Post
all these posts and not a single word about Twiki Damn LOL Felix was great as Twiki he lives here in Vegas were good friends, to hear some of his stories about the show from his point of view is HILARIOUS

Cameron
Actually, the actor who played Twiki was at the convention also, but he had very little to say. Gerard kinda ran ramshod over him. Felix did say he lives in Los Vegas (as you mentioned), is retired and is enjoying life. I wish he had had the opportunity to speak more. What little he got in was fascinating.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:09 AM   #18
Galactica53
Medical Technician

Yeah Felix is so Nice to talk to Ill see if I can get him to come on here and talk with yall. Or maybe answer questions like an interview if yall have specific Questions yall would like me to ask him.

Ill see if I can dig up the pics Of us In my Delorean LOL, I know he loved the car because its so low to the ground
Old 06-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #19
Galactica53
Medical Technician

Well I talked with Felix Yesterday and he has agreed to answer any questions yall might have about BR or any of his other shows or movies he has worked on see his site here www.felixsilla.com

Were getting together for luch Fri and Im gonna show him the site and help him set an account up, be warned he isnt that computer savy , his own words folks LOL. So any questions may end up being an interview

Mods if you want to replace this somewhere else it up to yall
Old 06-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #20
CR
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactica53 View Post
Mods if you want to replace this somewhere else it up to yall
For what it's worth, I think keeping the announcement here is OK. Whatever may follow depends upon context, really. Maybe a new thread could get started when he actually signs on, but since this thread is for general discussions about the show, I'm sure he'd have plenty to say which would fit here.

Looking forward to 'meeting' him. Meanwhile, enjoy your lunch!

BTW, don't worry about being computer savvy. Being able to log in, type, and hit 'submit' are the major things to know. (The 'preview' function, prior to 'submit,' is very useful!)

Last edited by CR; 06-09-2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo