Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Deep Space Tracking Station > Ring Around the Moon

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 06-09-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default The Best Doctor? - Poll

Not here though...

Here: http://www.whotopia.keen2host.co.uk/...est_doctor.asp

Surprised me, those results.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
Straker90
Computer Technician

That is really quite a shock, Patrick Torughton is one of my favourite Doctors but in the Doctor Who mag it was something like DAvid Tennant top followed by Tom Baker, Patrick Troughton was was pretty far down the list
Straker90 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:51 AM   #3
Galactica53
Medical Technician

Tom baker was the best hands Down! Sorry there is no way I can believe those are acurate results ME think someone cheated
Galactica53 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:09 AM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
Straker90
Computer Technician

I personally prefer Patrick Torughton, than Tom Baker, but being 21 i did not grow up with Doctor Who, it was something I really got to kow a couple of years ago, so i dont have that whole growing up with Tom Baker thing, but I must admit they really suprised me those results

Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
cricket
Medical Officer

It would be interesting to know the demographics of those that voted. I bet they are an older bunch, or perhaps just a few that 'stuffed' the ballots.
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
podfreak
Exile

tom baker is the best
podfreak is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:31 AM   #8
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Of the classic Doctors, I always preferred Pertwee personally. I never had a chance to experience Hartnell or Troughton that much. As for Baker, he just seemed a little too "out there" for my taste even though he was a very entertaining Doctor. Tennant I think has the right mix for a Doctor as well if one factors in the new Doctor Who episodes.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #9
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

Quote:
It would be interesting to know the demographics of those that voted. I bet they are an older bunch, or perhaps just a few that 'stuffed' the ballots.
What sort of fans would do such a thing?
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
cricket
Medical Officer

Oh, I don't know, maybe ones like those who favor a 35 year-old scifi show that most mainstreamers have never heard of?
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
HawkLobster
Life Support Technician

If fans tend to like their 'first' Doctor, this explains why so may US fans prefer Tom Baker but UK fans are more evenly distributed. Still does not explain these results, though... maybe the responders were thinking of the Doctor they'd most like/want to see more of? Since most of Pat's episodes are missing that makes sense. (who would not want to see a story that's been missing for 40 years?)

Personally I think Pat was a great Doctor and he's also the only one to have appeared in S99 so maybe it's all of those Eagle fans out there voting for him...
HawkLobster is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #12
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

The first usually sets the template and becomes the definitive control to judge how much the others match up in the same way that Connery set the template for Bond. I'm a Hartnell fan because he was the first I remember and he established the character which I found the most believeable in that he played it as an eccentric boffin, just the type you imagine would invent a time machine. His back story of not being human only grew later on. It was played very straight and taken seriously as adult entertainment but of course slowly it moved into family adventure territory. The first time the faceless unemotional Daleks turned up was genuinely scary and I was one of many kids hiding behind the sofa. Hard to imagine now.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:12 AM   #13
Dr Kane
Communications Officer

Strange, my 'first Doctor' was Jon Pertwee but I've gotta say my favourite is Chris Ecclestone!
Dr Kane is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:25 AM   #14
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I've always been too scared to watch any of them John P was the first I remember. The last two I've enjoyed a lot. Chris and the present guy. I like him particularly because he has the eccentric side as well as the deadly serious.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:16 AM   #15
captainjamie
Communications Officer

My first Doctor was Tom Baker, but as I got to see more of William Hartnell his characterisation struck a chord with me. As did Colin Baker's. Consequently some friends see similarities between me, and both Hartnell and C Baker's doctors.

And I had blonde curly hair when I was 17...

I do wish we'd had a chance to see more of Chris Eccleston's Doctor. I really liked his characterisation. But hey, David Tennant isn't too bad. Especially considering the variable nature of the writing.

I mean, the Titanic crashing into the TARDIS? RTD rides a coach and horses through the Hostile Action Displacement System then... *growl*
captainjamie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2007, 05:06 AM   #16
Mike
Astrophysics Technician

i grew up with hartnell and troughton, with some cushing on the side.
but i love pertwee and baker, and anything with sarah jane smith.
i like the recent stuff too, and i reckon an easier poll for me would be which one didnt i like.........

ive got 112 of the individual novels (i collect dr who novels)

the new master was well played , but i missed that black goatee

and a bolt from the vault, my personal tom baker story...........

i was 13 yrs old and he was down under doing a "signing" tour. the Chatswood branch of Grace Bros (no relation to show, though it was a 4 story dept store) was my nearest stop.
so armed with trusty poster of Mr baker as the Dr, i set off after school and arrived.

the queue was litterally 4 floors and out the door long, but using the desperate dishonesty only an eager 13 year old boy can muster (insert obvious joke about loosing virginity) i lied my way up 4 floors and to the short queue, where i shuffled along until 5:00pm on the dot, i was 3 ppl away from getting my poster signed, and his minders started to whisk him away.

Chaos ensued, ppl moaned, they groaned, they surged over the rope barriers and grabbed the poor guy, i was one of them, left hand index and ring fingers. i still recall the terrified look in Mr Bakers eyes, before the minders gained control and hauled him through a fire exit.

i ran all the way home poster in hand crying like a baby lol...

since then ive been a fan, of him and his voice (he does some animal doco voice overs that are magic without the magnificent footage. i also liked his uncle donald in a recent serial about a scotish manor.

but ill never forget the look on his face as he got mobbed in Chatswood sydney those many years ago

Last edited by Mike; 08-10-2007 at 08:27 AM. Reason: additional data
Mike is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #17
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

That's his normal expression.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #18
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Pertwee gets my vote - probably the most stylish Doc - but having just seen some of the Troughton stories, the Ben/Polly/Jamie team or Jamie/Zoe team were more fun than the Pertwee era assistants.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #19
JASON TEN
Hydroponics Technician

Default fav

my fav doc was peter davidson, but sorry to say only because of his companions, nyssa and teagan
that vest that nyssa wore
JASON TEN is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 11:13 PM   #20
Straker90
Computer Technician

I love a bit of Pertwee, HieeeeeYaaaaaaaaa! the Kungfu Doctor