Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 07-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Default Watching UFO for the first time

I have to begin by saying What a top show. Very professional and exciting. I have to say I think the moon based models came together a little more with S99, as does the backdrop behind SID and out of the window of moon base. Having said that, I must say models like SkyDiver are outstanding. I love the way Sky1 takes off like TB2. The Interceptors were also very cool.

The interiors were very good. They looked the part, thought its interesting to see (as with S99) what people envisaged what would be possible in the 80s.
The music was very TBs, thankfully steering somewhat clear of Captain Scarlet's dated 60s music.

I agree with what Mike said about how clearly you can see the evolution from this to S99 (Sorry Mike I can't seem to link to the other tread) Though I the the script was a lot less "sexist"/ corny by then. The scene on the plane comes to mind with Colonel Lake. It was nice to see Shane Rimmer as one of the pilots. The see-through headphones they were wearing were very cool.

I very much liked the dark themes and the brooding as in Season 1 S99. Nothing like good material to think about while you enjoy. They really are
U FOs as Captain blue keeps calling them (I can't get the blue hero out of my head when Straker is talking). They're almost like the Darians from Mission of the Darians, with all their organ transplants, sterility and so on.

The only big questions is how in the world does a spinning UFO fire in a straight line?

Oh, and did I mention the part about all those women... Its like Sci-fi babe central!!!!

Like to Mike's comments
http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=3202

Last edited by Bishop; 07-09-2007 at 01:13 PM. Reason: To add link to Mike's comments
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
captainjamie
Communications Officer

I had a friend staying with me during the last few days and we watched Identified as we ate one night. Alec's lines to Col Lake were a bit cringeworthy but that aside she was very impressed.

Again, it was dark in tone and storyline, with hints of Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun and the Darians theme. Sometimes not ending with a complete "wrap up the threads" ending but a question works for me.

Gabrielle Drake, Ayshea, Georgina Moon (on Skydiver), Wanda Ventham, that lass Alec meets coming out of the lift, I think I'd quite like to work for SHADO!
captainjamie is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Eps 2 and 3 were very good stories. In ep 2 the shot of Sky 1 heading into space was superb, though the plane flying on which Paul is meeting with the shrink looked very model like, as did the Moon Mobile landing sequence.

Paul's apartment decor was rather amazing, and as with the clothing it is interesting to see what they thought the 80s would look like.

I generally like the way the stories are put together though I thought they perhaps didn't wrap up the moon rescue situation in Ep 3 terribly well. We see nothing of the reaction of Straker to a friendly alien or the new commander to the fact that he'd just lost his job etc. Presumably he kept it while Paul recovered.

The lunar module was interesting, certainly looks good, but I'm not sure I like the way it lands on its engine bell without any means of cushioning. I expected to see the Moon mobiles hopping as in Captain Scarlet, but they moved as they should... I noticed that they have the same cabins as the Earth based Mobiles.

The space walking wasn't as successful as S99 but I guess we hadn't been to the moon yet. I like the space suits, though the alien suit looks ridiculous now days...very bad designers on that planet with all those 60s loop bangle things. The Alien looks very cool through the visor though (kept waiting to see Fun Pod's goldfish swimming past)

So far I am hugely impressed. 3 great stories.

Last edited by Bishop; 08-09-2007 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling as usual
Old 08-09-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
Retroboy
Astrophysics Technician

Despite the few minor flaws which ufo has [ mainley due to its age ] it still manages to rise head and shoulders above most of the pap we are forced to endure today . Like 1999 i saw ufo on its first run on yorkshire TV and I carry that same feeling of joy and excitement that I felt to this day with every repeat viewing. Straker , freeman , foster , lake , ellis , UFO rocks and always shall .
Retroboy is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:59 AM   #5
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I agree with both these comments. The moments I saw are the few in a long line of brilliant FX shots. They really are remarkable many of them. I think of that shot I mentioned of SKY 1 heading into orbit to get the stray UFO and it looked utterly real. I am blown away by the feel of the whole thing... it works even now after almost 40 years. (1969??)

Old 09-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I have to admit that UFO is my all time favouite No 1 Gerry Anderson TV series, granted I love all the others series as well, but UFO hits the spot for me. When I first got the DVD set when it was released here in the UK I was astounded by how much the series stood up to bearing nealy forty years old.

Great stuff I love it.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I've just watched 3 and 4 and all I can say is these just get better and better. Conflict was a really good story with some shades of the Fire Flash saga ..... someone planting devices to bring down the plane, and that someone being thwarted.

The shots of the lunar module entering the atmosphere and docking were very fine examples of FX, very convincing.

The battle with Henderson was also really well done. I loved Paul's outburst and I love the way that it was resolved with an "I owe you an apology... well I won't rub your face in it just listen next time... and now let me walk you to your car."

Ep 5 a question of priorities is one of the best eps of anything I've ever seen. I really enjoyed the struggle Straker goes through over his family and work (I can relate to that) and I was amazed at how brave the Andersons were to put together an ep where there is tragedy, where the boy dies, where there is no easy out, where difficult decisions, as with real life, are not always rewarded with the results we want. Especially when they could so easily fall back on the battle with the UFOs and the "excitement of it all" without ever having to deal with serious issues. It is in fact the difference between season 1 and season 2 of S99.

The pain of losing his son and his ex, who will never understand the importance of his role in helping to protect the whole earth, is so well portrayed. He's being left standing alone in the hospital and then the immediate cut to the eerie credits (which I love) was great tv.

Very nice to see the earth based Mobiles for the first time too.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #8
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

If anything it was the production team that wanted to move away from puppets and produce a show aimed more directly at an adult audience - and largely achieved that goal. The problem was that many of the ITV stations at the time in this country - and probably TV stations elsewhere thought - 'Oh it's another show by those people who made Thunderbirds with rockets and stuff, let's stick it on at tea time'. then found that they had shelve or edit some of the episodes, or stick them on late at night. The show was really more a cross between Quatermass and The Power Game, rather than Star Trek or Lost in Space.
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Have just watched 6 and 7 and continue to be really impressed. Firstly I noticed a few things, SID must be part of a ring of satellites to be able to see so well everywhere at such vast distances, and secondly I noticed the first real glitch as far as FX go... the interceptors had no missiles when ordered to let the UFO through and return to base. (stock film I think)

The mobiles and their transports were very cool. They really are great machines.

I was glad to see that Foster and Freeman had had hair cuts, and that the alien space suits (first seen in ep 5) had been properly remodeled.

I think the person who put that horrid wall paper up in the cottage should have been shot rather than the alien, but the whole murder plans thing and the brilliant ending really made for a great show. Our baddie should have stay a baddie rather than becoming a Irish Texan geologist on moon base. It all worked well here, but not in All that Glisters.

Ordeal was also very clever. One should have worked out that Foster was dreaming with the fade in fade out shots of the UFO overhead. It was a very 60s 1980s party. Those segments haven't aged well. That said the point was made... nice to see that Foster likes a good Scotch. The clothes, like the wall paper were horrid, but the cars are works of art

Good to see an Australian as the SkyDiver captain and Ellis as the rescuer of Paul on the moon. Straker is portrayed as a rather callous person, yet there is mercy in wanting to see Paul not suffer at the hands of the aliens. The twist at the end was unexpected and I'm very glad to say that Paul is a much better singer than Alan any day!!!

A third question. Why are there only 3 interceptors available at any one time on the moon?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #10
Air Terrainean
Life Support Officer

Memo from Henderson to Straker :

You want purple wigs and more than three Interceptors ?

Request refused !
Air Terrainean is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #11
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Watched 8. ESP and 9 Close up.

The mobiles looked really good in ESP, but I'm not sure I care for the jeeps much... they do the job but don't seem to be the right shape. This is a good story with the tension built up well, though the appearance of Paul at the end was a little "expected." The shrink is none other than the Space Commissioner from Dragon's Domain who sacks everyone.

I noticed a quick shot of Sam's car from Joe 90 under the Studio sign just after the shot of Straker and Freeman arriving at the house and just before we see Paul talking to the doctor at Shado Headquarters.

My only real question with this one was why they use such crappy looking guns? Again it is interesting to see how they guessed the 80s would look.

Test Run was fun to watch as I still own the View Master reel of it...a with somewhat different ending to the show I might add. It was a good ep but I think it was a fudge to turn a Billion dollar failure into a discussion on electron microscopes.... ho hum.

The SkyDiver shots especially the speed boat shots as she hoons along the surface, were very cool as was the rocket take off at NASA. I assume they would have used the space shuttle in real life. It is interesting to note the assumption at that time that space travel would become a normal and relatively straight forward thing after the Moon Landings... yet we are still no further. However, as many commentators say, things could well hot up again with private enterprise and a return to the moon as a launch pad for other exploration.

There is a strong connection between the computer readouts being spat out on paper and the first season Alpha computer. It is interesting to note how lots of large spools recording data for Shado give way to data chips in S99, which is a very perceptive move for the early seventies.

The most jarring moment was Straker's talk with Ellis telling her how well she's doing a man's job and how pretty she is... with the camera work on the leg thing just to top it off. Not the best ep, but still not bad.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #12
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

10 and 11 Court Martial and Confetti Check AOK are completely out of left field as far a Sci-fi alien show is concerned. The writers have all sorts of gadgets and aliens and scenarios open to them and yet the do a court room drama and a marriage breakdown. I have to say that they were both good shows with interesting info as background to Shado... and some delightful characterisation... I loved the ending to 10 with the pen. And I am most impressed with the courage they took at producing them. The certainly weren't toy selling eps, but like S99 (1) they made you think.

One can only feel sorry for Straker... and so many like him.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #13
Franz Bolo
Computer Technician

What I remembered most was the weird psychedelic mood of the series.

I was 5, I think, when I used to watch it.

The hallucinations/sets and weird aliens were kind of creepy yet exciting!

FB
Franz Bolo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #14
paul gray
Forum Supporter

i am really enjoying what you have to say Tony 42 about watching UFO for the first time,i almost feel as though i'm watching it with you.this is my favourite anderson show, i think everything about it is brilliant especially the effects shots, way ahead of their time.as you say,some of the stories aren't heavy on the sci-fi but good strong character stories.you would have to be mad to want a job like Strakers,no personal life and constantly up against it. no thanks. looking forward to your next posting.
cheers Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
paul gray is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 01:11 PM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I've just finished watching 12 and 13 Kill Straker and Sub-smash. More good eps, though I agree with the idea that the UFOs are less in number as we haven't seen too many lately. I thought the brainwashing thing made sense I and I wonder why the aliens took so long to use it. Its in every spy movie and alien movie and was very much in vogue in the 60s. It was well handled and showed yet more about our characters.

The shot of the offending Lunar module re-entering earth atmosphere was a shot from the earlier show where the alien thingy attached itself to the LM and brought it down... sadly the alien thing was still attached in this ep too.
The voice of "kill straker" could almost have had two green rings attached to it

The shot of the astronaut walking out the front of moon base was excellent... and it was so nice to see a real gun for a change in the the firing range at the end.

It seems like the writers have been developing a arch of personality info builders, which begin to pay off as we see Straker et al trapped in ep 13. Suddenly the back story can fit somewhere as Straker hallucinates for lack of air.

Sub-smash follows the standard sub in difficulties thing that 60s war films portrayed. The idea was a good one, but it was perhaps a little sad that the enemy was knocked out so quickly. Still I guess there was enough trouble without it. I also thought that the UFO ringing in the ears thing was going to be made into something more... the alien influence, but no he just went nuts. I actually thought that actor had played the friendly alien who was trying to defect.

I noted the round exhaust ports on what is obviously the large SkyDiver... I think Mark42 mentions them on his site, rather than the oval ones as on my PE SkyDiver... I wonder why they had the two different types? I also imaging that those lights must drop down out of the hull for underwater work. They would certainly get in the way when they were in Sea Skim mode... apparently this sub could actually pull Fun Pod's ski troop. I assume it uses jets or something... like TB4.

I thought the end was a little weak... the impossible situation solved without us actually seeing how....well we just blew it up and didn't make any holes in it or anything... and it floated to the surface just like it wouldn't before.

Good fun anyway... and the kind words between Straker and the Lt at the end didn't stuff it all up.... one can only imagine how Fried Burger would have gicked it up

Anyway.. good stuff all round. Knowing that there aren't that many more eps to come, I do want to see some more action with the ufos and stuff

Old 14-09-2007, 05:21 AM   #16
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
No, Anthony Chin was an Alien, but in 'The Square Triangle
I thought I'd seen him. Didn't he also do the second Virgil voice or are my ears playing tricks. Very cool about XL5.
Old 14-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #17
Straker90
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
I thought I'd seen him. Didn't he also do the second Virgil voice or are my ears playing tricks. Very cool about XL5.
Jeremy Wilkin did the 2nd Virgil voice (I think)
The only thing that disappointed me slightly with UFO is that we only saw the Shadair Seguel jet plane in the pilot episode, I thought it was such a cool design and would have loved to see it again (very Concorde like)
Straker90 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #18
cricket
Medical Officer

Quote:
....we only saw the Shadair Seguel jet plane in the pilot episode, I thought it was such a cool design and would have loved to see it again (very Concorde like)...
We have...

http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...?t=2038&page=7

Last edited by cricket; 14-09-2007 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added quote
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 03:19 AM   #19
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

A fitting reminder of a cool aircraft.
Old 15-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #20
Straker90
Computer Technician