Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-12-2005, 03:02 AM   #1
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Default Dismantling the PE23 Studio Scale Eagle Transporter

To boldly go where no PE consumer has gone before. Or something...

Having the breaking strain of a Kit-Kat and the curiosity of a 13 stone, 5ft 8" blue-eyed cat, I set about dismantling the PE23 Eagle with a view to rectifying an apparent CM misalignment.

The CM couplings are epoxied to the forward cagework and I believe that most of the model is glued this way with the odd screw or three thrown in for good measure.

I carefully separated the CM couplings with precision cuts administered with my Dremel on low speed setting. So far so good.

Now to remove the back of the CM from the forward cage. Easier said than done. The back of the CM is strongly attached to a thick length of resin which runs into the cage area. A few firm twists and application of pressure brought with it several disturbing and most unwelcome cracking noises. No apparent damage though - but no forward movement of the CM either.

I surmised from this that it would be worth checking under the forward VTOL engines for screws. Wiggling them (much like the ones on the PE12) brought about their fairly easy removal. The VTOLs are in fact in two halves - the bell itself and a mounting plate recessed into the cagework. One separated, one didn't. No biggie.

When the VTOLs were finally free from the cage, a quick poke around to remove the resindue™ revealed two holes through which are two brass screws. On attempting to remove them, I found that they didn't actually come out of the holes completely and the CM still wasn't budging...

However, what stopped me dead in my tracks there and then was the fact that the passenger pod was, alarmingly, now coming loose! "No. Stop right there, you're gonna kill it", I told myself. Thankfully I listened.

So I reversed up and re-glued all the parts back together again. Phew!

In summary then, this new toy of ours is One Tough Cookie that isn't going to come apart without a fight. Built like the proverbial brick s***house she is.

I recommend that unless you're highly skilled (or have more money than sense) you leave well alone and don't attempt to dismantle her too deeply. It just might end in tears!

Other observations are:

• Bottom plate of passenger pod is (at least) epoxied. Removal of this will be difficult but might reveal attachments to the two companionways and/or the passenger pod legs and VTOls.

• The rear engine assembly is primarily attached with a brass screw running through the 'center column'. Removing this won't help much I think - because the rest of the fragile cagework is welded together with epoxy.

• The paintwork is quite thick and any twisting of the cagework is likley to result in a cracked and/or chipped surface. Thankfully in my case it was minimal but be prepared to respray if you choose to nose around too much.

So in closing, I'm going to leave the inevitable further biopsies to you more experienced Eagle technicians. Your findings are more than welcome here onwards.
Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2005, 09:05 AM   #2
w8cmp
Science Officer

Thanks for the insight...this was as I feared after my initial glance at the model. I couldn't see any obvious points at which she'd been screwed together...

However I suspect that removal of the pod underside (if at all possible) may reveal some attachment to the rest of the ship - which will be a start.

I have a feeling that may be the key to this...but don't have the required tools (or bravery) to attempt this yet...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2005, 10:43 AM   #3
TonyB
Forum Supporter

A quote from Eric Morcambe to Ernie Wise, 'The man's a fool',

Just kidding boss, honestly, you pull your Eagle apart as much as you like.

Although I hope though that when you put it back together that you do not have some parts spare left over.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #4
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Lol, no - she's ok.

The CM is now angled correctly though as I took a sander to the lower rear edge.
Old 18-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #5
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Jolly good show old boy.

I seem to recognise your new Avatar from somewhere too.

Old 18-12-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Still love that dio to bits!
Old 18-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #7
the DOCTOR
Computer Technician

Now, don't say I never do anything for you!

And that's how it goes together, with little screws in the appropriate holes.

If you can lever off the bottoms of the companionways and pod, it'll come apart easy.

Good Luck!
the DOCTOR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
w8cmp
Science Officer

You're a star !!!

Thanks very much DOCTOR - all becomes clear now
Old 18-12-2005, 07:36 PM   #9
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Arrrrggghhhh not another crashed Eagle.....

It looks lika a cat with no fur when you see it like that.
Old 18-12-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
w8cmp
Science Officer

Yeah - just got to figure out how to get the frame away fom these subassemblies now so I can prise things apart...

Just got back from an afternoon at my Dad's, and took the Eagle to show him...wife and sister sighed big time and rolled all eyeballs when Dad lifted it up and made launch noises as it rose from the table...he understands !!!

Old 18-12-2005, 07:42 PM   #11
Eagle
Commander Ret.

The trick is getting that bottom plate off so you can raise the screws high enough to remove the CM.

I was assuming that the cagework is glued together around the forward c/way therefore making removal a bit of a bugger?...
Old 18-12-2005, 09:45 PM   #12
Mrs_Eagle
Alphan

I'll give you a hand to dismantle it.
Mrs_Eagle is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2005, 09:50 PM   #13
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Ooopss…sounds like the good Commander is about to be dismantled too…
Mrs Eagle is indeed the ultimate "Waste Technician"!
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2005, 10:25 PM   #14
TonyB
Forum Supporter

Mrs_Eagle wants to help dismantle an Eagle, now isn't that nice, errr um, that is what she means isn't it.

Shuffles off whistling.........
Old 18-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #15
DX-SFX
Chief Medical Officer

I've never seen a rolling pin used to dismantle a model before. Show me how you do it again.
DX-SFX is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 18-12-2005, 11:09 PM   #16
the DOCTOR
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
*I was assuming that the cagework is glued together around the forward c/way therefore making removal a bit of a bugger?...
That's about the size of it. If its any help, the frame around the companionways is resin, and the glue is slightly more brittle than the resin, so a blunt spatula or the rounded end of a six-inch steel ruler between parts twisted slowly gets them to snap off quite cleanly...

I know this from sorrwful experience, assembling the prototypes, and dissassembling them when it had to be changed !

Mrs. Eagle: the rolling pin is an, as yet, untested model making tool, please report back with any useful findings!
the DOCTOR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 08:15 PM   #17
w8cmp
Science Officer

Thanks for that...I might be able to bring myself to do this over the Christmas Holidays...

I'm having trouble with the base of the pod...which is obviously quite critical in terms of dissassembly.

And I also want to get the landing gears out of the landing gear pods if possible so as to install weaker springs to make it sit lower when 'landed'.

Any suggestions on removal of these two troublesome areas ?

Chris
Old 08-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #18
w8cmp
Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8cmp
I'm having trouble with the base of the pod...which is obviously quite critical in terms of dissassembly.

And I also want to get the landing gears out of the landing gear pods if possible so as to install weaker springs to make it sit lower when 'landed'.

Any suggestions on removal of these two troublesome areas ?

Chris
Anyone ???
Old 14-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #19
Eagle
Commander Ret.

Today I managed to get the base of the pod off by prizing it off with a flatblade screwdriver.

I did it because I simply had to straighten ought the terrible sag of the entire model. Damn, I couldn't even look at it. The sag was this bad at both ends, making the whole thing appear to sag badly.

Note the angle of the feet pods and cagework in relation to the passenger pod.

What I found inside was this:

A mass of epoxy type stuff which made the removal of the ends a complete bugger I can tell you.

When I opened her up, I noticed that one of the attaching bars had actually fractured at the CM end:

Still, she's all straight now, re-epoxied and looking how she should have left the factory.
Old 14-01-2006, 07:50 PM   #20
w8cmp
Science Officer

Fantastic mate...I'll give it a try now I know it can be done...

Do you suppose the CM connection became fractured on your previous attempt to remove the CM ?

Chris