Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Anderson - Reference Section, Member Builds and Detailing > Captain Scarlet > SPV

Notices

SPONSORED BY

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 26-09-2007, 05:27 AM   #1
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Default Tinkering with a PE SPV

I have decided to adjust a few things which displeased me about my PE SPV. I remember waiting all year for the thing and being very disappointed with it when it arrived. I couldn't believe there were no panel lines scribed on it, just black lines... and these didn't even match either side... nor did the placement of the roundels. Enough whinging.

What I have done is to fix the shape of the front area around the two main intakes, the angle of the roof intake as it tapers into the roof, and the tops of the side intakes behind the doors. Sadly I couldn't get in to adjust the bottom of these. I have also scribed panel lines into the body ( though these will need to be adjusted once the body is primed) and I have enlarged the wheels by enlarging the rims. The rubber tires are actually soft rubber and have happily stretched the extra distance. The improvement, though not noticeable on a photo, is quite remarkable. I would love to change the wheels for ones slightly less balloon like, but these will suffice for the moment. The bumper has also been reshapes with filler to make it look more like the "real" thing.

Pulling the thing apart I have discovered that there's a lot more metal in this than I first thought. Only at the very end did I start to file through the rear roof vent tunnel. The one thing I have not been able to deal with is the inward sweep of the cowl which covers the rear tracks. This is a little too square on the model, but there isn't enough meat to file away.

I'm already starting to like this SPV, and I look forward to painting it and putting some JBot decals on to replace the unfortunate PE ones.

These photos show the areas I've worked on. I shall post one when I've finished.

Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Its new coat is on, and I'm glad I did it. With the adjustments the basic shape is very nice... scribing lines into it is rather boring and frustrating, but worth the effort. I do love the SPV.

Roundels ordered. Thanks Jim.
Old 26-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
A Study in Scarlet
Computer Technician

So do i Tony.Along with FAB 1 and Fireflash it s a Meddings masterpiece.Looks good from any angle and an interesting development blog(developed from 2065 Zeus combat tank-does anyone know who wrote that stuff?)with 1968 annual modifications making it capable of 250 MPH same as a Bugatti Veyron today and that superb mountain climbing position.Along with the fact that in the very first story in TV 21 it s hurtling along the A30 near Lands End containing an atomic bomb scheduled for London.I ve been fortunate in my life to drive that particular stretch of road myself a few times and everytime i ve thought of Scarlet making the same trip and wondered if he would enjoy the superb scenery as much as i did.

Still remember my first encounter with it in model form which was the Century 21 Toys version i was lucky enough to receive at Christmas 1970 when i was just 5.And the disappointment at the sheer wrongness of the Vivid "playset" version in 1994!

Theres talk of IR making one.That ll be Steve Walkers last chance saloon for me.Anything other than dual-door opening,fully detailed interior will be disregarded.Some miniature removable figures would be nice as well,seated versions of Scarlet and Blue and standing figures with SPV Power packs and helmets.Id go for that!!

Oh,and your model looks good Tony!!
A Study in Scarlet is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

I'm at the office now and I can't see the photos you posted so I will check them out tonight. But I'm really interested in your upgrade as I started on mine but only got as far as dismantling the thing, redoing the the detail on the small wheels and extending the axles to the correct length.

The SPV is also one of my favourites and and after seeing Hans' collection which included the Konami Spectrum vehicles I ordered them from eBay which arrived this morning. Very good detail on them all, but it is a pity PE didn't scale up the Konami SPV as it would have turned out more accurate!!!

Keith
saturnapollo is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
hwels
Communications Officer

Glad you like the Konami versions of the Spectrum vehicles, they are great little models.

And if PE/IR would ever produce a BIG angel interceptor ...

Hans
hwels is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwels View Post
Glad you like the Konami versions of the Spectrum vehicles, they are great little models.

And if PE/IR would ever produce a BIG angel interceptor ...

Hans
Ive decided to leave the small wheels. I wanted to give the larger ones some extra size so I worked on that instead.
Old 26-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Tony

I tried to get tyres more in keeping with the shape of the SPV ones, but despite surfing the internet and checking out Scalextrix ones couldn't find anything the right size.

Keith
Old 26-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I thought that might be the case so I went with making the existing set up bigger. Repeating myself I know, but I can't believe Corgi could come up with a simple yet very effective solution to the double wheels thing... and give us the right hubs as well, and PE couldn't.
Old 26-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
saturnapollo
Medical Officer

Quote:
Actually they turned out to be a bit larger than I expected, so I'm really quite pleased with them. I didn't get the Angel and the passenger jet is perhaps the weakest of them all, but they are still incredible when you see the accuracy and detail crammed into such small objects (if only PE had done their research like the Konami folks)

Keith
Old 27-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #10
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

You must get the Interceptor, its brilliant.

My biggest bug bare with the SPV is painting the red lines around the large front intakes. Deceptively not simple at all Does any one have any suggestions?
Old 27-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #11
TonyB
Science Officer

All the Konami ranges are very good, not just the Gerry Anderson models, the detail crammed into all of them for their size is really incredible and a credit to them. In many respects its a shame that they were not just a bit larger, but they are very nice as they are it does have to be said.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 06:53 AM   #12
portland182
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post

My biggest bug bare with the SPV is painting the red lines around the large front intakes. Deceptively not simple at all Does any one have any suggestions?
Use coloured lining tape designed for use on cars
OR paint some very thin tape the colour you need
OR mask it really carefuly and paint it

A guy called raytheon is doing great work on a large Star Trek Enterprise E on The Starship Modeller site and he uses these for masking

http://www.jammydog.com/

Jim
portland182 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
w8cmp
Science Officer

I use that Polypropolene tape - it's great at small radiuses but it does have its limits...
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
TonyB
Science Officer

Look for a product called 'Trim Line'. Its main use IIRC is for lining radio control cars. You get 8 different width lenghs, the smallest being OK for fine lining for jobs like the SPV, I cannot remember how long the sheet is, but its something like 3 metres.

TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #15
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I have been brave and have drawn them on and then hand painted them. I am very happy with how they turned out thank goodness. The body has had a black wash, a silver wash and a dry brushing with a sand brown to lighten it all down. It looks busy and like its been hard at work, but its not super dirty like it was. I have also constructed new aerials for it as the old ones were useless. The black lines are now appearing on the bumper and I am adding details like the windows and the top vent grill. The wheel hubs have also been painted metallic silver and the difference is remarkable.... its all starting to look like an SPV should.

I will begin looking for suitable letters next week, the easiest thing being perhaps to visit a printer/ sign writer and get them to make up some letters with the right font for me. JD identifies the font as Compacta Bold extended. The closest I can find on my computer is Impact....not extended but very close. We shall see what we can find.

Next question. I notice on one of the SPV photos that there is at least one marking ... is there anything like a standard set of markings???
Old 29-09-2007, 02:37 AM   #16
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I agree totally about the passenger jet, but the Interceptor is an amazing little model. Good that you got it. I wouldn't mind picking up another two to make a full flight. Hmmmm...

Last edited by Bishop; 29-09-2007 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Was distracted by thoughts of Tanya... and Col Lake's purple wig
Old 30-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #17
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I have reached a frustrating point in proceedings, and I am kicking myself because I should have thought sooner. I am finding it very difficult to locate suitable rub down letters for SPV. The Closest font I can find in the Microsoft world is Impact, but it really needs to be Impact extended as getting the right sort of length makes the letters way too big. I still haven't tried any printers yet, but if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate them.

The bumper is done with a mixture of painting and rub down strips.... it should have been so simple but almost drove me nuts.
Old 30-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #18
Howard
Deputy Commander

Tony, perhaps this site can help?

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk...D=166&CatID=17
Howard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #19
portland182
Computer Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony42 View Post
The Closest font I can find in the Microsoft world is Impact, but it really needs to be Impact extended as getting the right sort of length makes the letters way too big. I still haven't tried any printers yet, but if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate them.
Originaly Letraset was used on Anderson shows, but that's becoming a bit scarce nowadays.

You could try persuading 'JBOT' to make you some decals

You could try making your own decals.
Both 'Impact' and the other popular Anderson font 'Eurostile' are available as microsoft version fonts.
With an art program such as corel draw or photoshop it is possible to stretch the vertical dimension only to get a close match for 'extended' fonts. Once you have the stretch established you can resize a copy both verticaly and horizontaly simultaneously to get various sizes of letter that have an identical stretch.
If you then print on to decal paper, and then coat the decal carefully with varnish (spray from an airbrush) you have home made decals...
The trick with Anderson stuff is that the graphics tend to be white, and normal inkjets dont have that colour.
You will need an expensive printer, called an ALPS printer in order to print white.

Or if you dont mind the 'thickness' you could use an art program, as above to generate your art work, and find a printer with a C+C vinyl cutter to cut individual vinyl letters for you...

Jim
Old 30-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #20
portland182
Computer Technician

or try these guys

http://www.bedlamcreations.com/index2.htm

I've not tried them personaly but they do decals and rub dowwn transfers for models!

Jim