Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum

Go Back   Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Forum > Recreation and Dining Complex > Another Time, Another Place - Classic British Film and Television Discussions

Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 30-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
Fate
Alphan

Default Forgotten Film

I have been racking my brains for weeks trying to remember the title of a classic British Sci-fi film. Can anyone remember this? I'll describe the plot:

Entities in Space bet that a human can/can't handle Ultimate Power. So they bestow it on a country bumpkin as he wanders home from the pub.

After getting used to his new power and performing various cheap tricks he decides that he needs to accept the weight of the responsability of such gift and sets up a world court with himself as head.

He loses his temper over something and demands that the Sun stop in the sky. Which, of course, stops the planet... while everything is whirling around him at 25,000 mph he manages to wish nothing had ever happened, and he ends up back at the beginning of the film.

PLEASE, can anyone remember the name of this film... it's driving me mad, I want to see it again. It's B&W, probably 40s...
Fate is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
cricket
Medical Officer

Sorry, no clue about the film (though it does sound intriguing), but welcome to the forum!
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:16 AM   #3
Fate
Alphan

Ahhhh... that's the one. Thankyou.

I tried googling, but couldn't come up with any decent search criteria to reach it.

What a relief... The annoying thing is that now I come to think about it, I remember reading the HG Wells story.

Thanks again JD, and thanks for the welcome Cricket.
Fate is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:31 AM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket View Post
Sorry, no clue about the film (though it does sound intriguing), but welcome to the forum!
What Cricket said... lovely to have you aboard. It reminds me of a B& W Sci-fi film I saw as a kid. It was about human space traveller who are attacked by aliens and are saved by this super alien fellow who fights and defeats them all (somewhat Batman and Robin tv style) and does somersalts other gymnastics all over the place... the thing that stood out (the story line didn't) was the fact that this super fellow would laugh this ridiculous laugh tv villain like while he defeated everyone. I remember being most impressed by it when I was very little.... I doubt any actually wants to remember it
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
CR
Science Officer

Tony42, that sounds a little like some Japanese show I saw as a child, though I don't remember the laugh. It wasn't UltraMan, but I can't for the life of me remember what it actually was.
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Yes I think you're right... how could you not remember the laugh!!! It was very silly, cartwheels and all
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
CR
Science Officer

Well, I was only about 5 years old at the time. It was almost like a Japanese version of Superman, only... weird. Great stuff for a five-year-old and his dad on a rainy day. (Funny I remember that, but not the laugh.)
Old 13-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Workshop Artist
Astrophysics Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
I have been racking my brains for weeks trying to remember the title of a classic British Sci-fi film. Can anyone remember this? I'll describe the plot:

Entities in Space bet that a human can/can't handle Ultimate Power. So they bestow it on a country bumpkin as he wanders home from the pub.

After getting used to his new power and performing various cheap tricks he decides that he needs to accept the weight of the responsability of such gift and sets up a world court with himself as head.

He loses his temper over something and demands that the Sun stop in the sky. Which, of course, stops the planet... while everything is whirling around him at 25,000 mph he manages to wish nothing had ever happened, and he ends up back at the beginning of the film.

PLEASE, can anyone remember the name of this film... it's driving me mad, I want to see it again. It's B&W, probably 40s...
Does it go by the title of "The Man who can make Miracles"by H.G. Wells.
Workshop Artist is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

STARMAN possibly!

BTW it has already been established the original film FATE asked about was THE MAN WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES!!!

Last edited by Jim Lewis; 13-12-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
Adama
Weapons Technician

Was it? "The Man Who Could.... Doh!!!
Adama is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #11
CR
Science Officer

no, no, I think it was The man Who Could Work Mir--hey, wait a second...

And yes, Starman is the one I was thinking of earlier in this thread.
Man, that clip was cheesey! I remember the Saturn-like planet hanging in the background of the alien council scene, but I didn't remember it actually swinging against the background! One can almost see the upper edge of the backdrop, too.
And what is it with Japanese live-action aliens waving their arms/tentacles/pseudopods back and forth? Strangely, this action still exists 50 or so years later with every Power Rangers incarnation. Starman: the original Power Ranger???

Last edited by CR; 14-12-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 14-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
Steve Gerard
Medical Officer

The Japanese super hero movie sounds like ...I think it was PRINCE OF SPACE. Which the MST3K Mystery Science Theater 3000 made fun of in one of there episodes.

http://www.epguides.com/MysteryScienceTheater3000/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053464/
Steve Gerard is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #13
healvis
Communications Officer

The Man Who Could Work Miracles is a 1936 Alexander Korda film. I think it was the moon he stops and everything starts flying about. Korda also made "The Shape Of Things To Come".
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
Jim Lewis
Communications Officer

Does anyone here actually read the posts which others have taken the time to write before they come in with their own words of wisdom???

Yes the Japanese film was STARMAN. Already established!

THE MAN WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES again established!!!!!! It has even been joked about and a full IMDB link posted!!

It is plain ignorance ignoring what people have taken the time to write previously especially when they have answered a question or query from another member. What is it with some of you?
Jim Lewis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
healvis
Communications Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lewis View Post
Does anyone here actually read the posts which others have taken the time to write before they come in with their own words of wisdom???

Yes the Japanese film was STARMAN. Already established!

THE MAN WHO COULD WORK MIRACLES again established!!!!!! It has even been joked about and a full IMDB link posted!!

It is plain ignorance ignoring what people have taken the time to write previously especially when they have answered a question or query from another member. What is it with some of you?
Jim, I have not been a member here for long and I am not ignorant nor am I rude. The post is still open so I assume that I can add my "words of wisdom" whenever I like. My post was to merely point out that I thought it was the moon that he stopped and not the sun and seeing that this was a point that was mentioned in the original post i thought it applicable. In future Jim I shall not bother. I may be wrong and it was the sun that he stopped but that is not the point is it Jim.
healvis is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 14-12-2009, 08:53 PM   #16
preHEstoric
Astrophysics Technician

I remember seeing a Hammer House movie years ago about a bloke who could trap the "life force" just before death and managed to make himself (and his pet mouse) imortal. Anyone have a clue what film that was??
preHEstoric is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #17
Adama
Weapons Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by preHEstoric View Post
I remember seeing a Hammer House movie years ago about a bloke who could trap the "life force" just before death and managed to make himself (and his pet mouse) imortal. Anyone have a clue what film that was??
Was it? "The Mouse Who Could.... Doh!!!
Adama is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 04:56 AM   #18
CR
Science Officer

Just some friendly advice to sort of wrap things up amid the clutter...
While it certainly pays to read previous posts to see what's already been discussed, don't be afraid to add to the discussion; let's maybe make sure we're actually expanding upon previous points instead of just repeating them.
And as for the fun we've had picking on the redundancy, let's make sure everyone understands that it was just in fun and not meant in a mean-spirited fashion.
Let's all of us not get too serious here, but not too silly, either. And certainly, not too angry! Carry on...

And in the spirit of carrying on, no, preHEstoric, I've no clue what you're referring to. My Hammer memories are mostly of the Dracula & Frankenstein films with Peter Cushing & Christopher Lee, as well as a few random other films. That one's not registering with me at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD
Maybe it was 'DeathMouse'!!
No sarcasm intended here, JD... I must be brain dead tonight, because you lost me! (And if I'm just being dim after re-reading this thread twice and still missing it, I give people permission to make fun of me in this instance! )
Old 15-12-2009, 06:45 AM   #19
CR
Science Officer

Oh. That was it? Erm...
Better bundle up, it's cold outside. (Well it is in my hemisphere, anyway. Just expanding upon the 'getting your coat' line. And yes, I know that line wasn't literal! )
Old 15-12-2009, 07:34 AM   #20
PhilYoung
Travel Tube Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by preHEstoric View Post
The Asphyx. The bloke is Robert Powell. A much better film than it sounds.

Phil Young
PhilYoung is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote