SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 19-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

Default Building advice: WAVE vinyl SkyDiver kit

Hello everyone:
I see there's a minor discussion of this kit over at the Observatory but I thought it was more appropriate to post here. I’ve got an un-built Wave kit of Skydiver from Anderson’s UFO which has been taunting me from the basement for over a decade now. I really like the contour, detail and size of the kit and intend to finally muster up the courage to build it over the Christmas break. The obvious problem of course is that it’s a thin, complex, vehicle design that’s inexplicably manufactured from hollow, structurally inferior vinyl. I’ve had experience with vinyl kits in the past (a movie Batman figure and an SPV by General Products of Japan), but the subject matter was chunky and could support its own weight with very little additional filling. I’m looking for some advice on what to fill the sub-assemblies with…. (sorry, unintentional pun there). I’ve considered using poured plaster of paris but of course it comes with a number of drawbacks: Heat generated as the chemicals and water react during hardening could irrevocably melt the kit – not to mention the weight of the thing when it’s finished. (“Hobbyist requires truss after attempting to move model kit – film at eleven”). Also on my short list of potential fillers is expandable insulation foam, the kind that comes in a pressurized can and is intended to fill sizeable gaps around window and door frames. It’s certainly light enough when it solidifies but does it eventually break down and crumble around the little air bubbles it creates underneath its ‘skin’? I wonder if either of these ideas would be undermined by the filler suddenly deciding to shrink after a while…. Anyway, if anyone has built this kit or one similar to it or has some insight as to how to proceed: Your input would be greatly appreciated…..
Looking forward to your replies,
Best Wishes,
Graeme
TerraForm1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
shrugger
Eagle Pilot

I've thought about the expanding foam as well. I don't think it'll break down
unless its handled allot or out in the weather. Neither of which is too likely,
inside a model If anyones tried it for this, wouldn't mind any thoughts.
shrugger is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
TonyB
Forum Supporter

I have not tried the expanding foam sealer myself, up to this point that is, I have been considering it though. I have seen several model articles that recommend this material and I know a few people who have used it to fill hollow vinyl and resin kits with great success, but these have tended to be figure kits with a lot less area to fill.

My only concern with using the expanding sealer is this, is the foam adequate for the job in keeping the shape of the Skydiver once it has hardened, or will the vinyl sink and end up being distorted again, and does the sealer shrink over time.

I would like to get on with my Wave Skydiver kit, getting rid of the filler as it is just too damn heavy as it is, I need to remove the conning tower and fill that anyway, so I may just give the foam a try.

In the meantime idf anyone has any useful information then by all means please post your comments.
TonyB is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
w8cmp
Science Officer

I used expanding foam on my Wave Skydiver some 20 years ago...and it expanded too much - so my Skydiver is a little fat around the middle.

(And no comments about it being a refelection of it's owner you lot)
w8cmp is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
TerraForm1
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks for the replies so far lads. I'm leaning towards the expanding foam solution at the moment but heeding w8cmp's helpful warning about over-expansion. I'm hoping that the excess foam will exit out of the open end of the hull (if it's held dead vertical with the opening facing down). That way, the foam will only expand to the limits of the hull shape and no further. I can then use a knife to slice off the hardened excess later and continue with the assembly. I'm actually more concerned about the flimsy wings, tail and rudders at the moment 'cos they're hollow too...... Curse you gravity!....... Is there no escape from your sagging effects..........
TerraForm1 is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote