Notices

SPONSORED BY
&

Reply Bookmark and Share

Old 18-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Mike
Astrophysics Technician

Default rescue pod interior

the swift interiors have me thinking, ive always meant to scratch build an interior to my rescue pod.

any suggestions as to layout. did the interior ever feature as a set ?
Mike is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
Northerner
Communications Officer

hey mike
i dont know if there is any official type of layout?
but i would think that along the walls some type
of bunk bed system for storing injured 'litters'
some kind of lab equipment in one corner, a body
scanner in another corner? a steril room for surgery
any or all of that stuff maybe?
Northerner is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
Eagletransporter
Communications Officer

Hello Mike!

Check this link to see some pics of a fully furnished AMT/Ertl Eagle passenger pod :

http://www.tnthobbies.co.uk/anderson4.htm (scroll down the page - "Sťance Spectre" diorama)

TonyB cleverly used many parts of the Moonbase Alpha kit, namely chairs, desks and some of the MM walls) to furnish the pod.

Although this isnít exactly what youíre looking for Iím hoping this suggestion will inspire you.

Boa sorteÖand keep us posted!

Jorge
Eagletransporter is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

There are some screen grabs here from inside the rescue pod

http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/...pimg/tie1.html

from Earth bound

And here

http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/...img/timl1.html

from Missing link.

There isn't very much to go on really. Where the guns are there is some medical machinery. Where the computer is along the side wall there are medical monitors (a medical computer???) and there are more monitors in the middle.

I'd watch the two eps and have a good look at what you can see from the sets.
Bishop is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
cricket
Medical Officer

Just brainstorming (if you wanted to make it more realistic), I would want to see something along the lines of a modern trauma bay with facilities to do surgery to stabilize severe injuries. You would need ventilators and cardiac resuscitation equipment. Imaging abilities would be important, and preferably more advanced than the frequently mentioned thermographic plates. Perhaps Alphan tech includes a compact CT (cat) scanner. Refrigeration would be important for blood products, medicines.

A bunk bed idea might work quite well for less severely injured who can wait until return to Alpha for definitive treatment.

An idea might be to research how submarines with their similarly confined space structure their sick bays.

http://www.brooksidepress.org/Produc...alMedicine.htm
cricket is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote

Old 19-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #6
Mike
Astrophysics Technician

thanks muchly for the advice and links, ill sit down and watch those episodes with a pad and pencil.
i like the shots using the chair from the alpha models, the cockpit is scratch built with those figures from the kit inside.

thanks again,

respect and regards
mike

cockpit interiors already posted here for those who havent seen them
http://www.eagletransporter.com/foru...ead.php?t=2023
Old 19-10-2007, 02:18 AM   #7
darthwalls
Computer Technician

As Tony said, watch "Earthbound" and "Missing Link" for some reference. I think a pole system for stretchers similiar to those in U.S. Air Force C-130's would be cool. That layout and like Cricket said a type of trauma station would be cool. After all, they did have 2 Rescue Eagles. Why couldn't the other one be for transporting casualties on stretchers.
darthwalls is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2007, 02:19 AM   #8
Mike
Astrophysics Technician

looking at the transporter pod floor plan i will prob want the two moonbuggys........
does anyone cast these in scale to the 12 in airfix kit ?
it seems to have the standard suit hangers as well, which leaves the rear half for customisation as a rescue pod. it seems as if the rear is more open than the transporter, with the big moulded corners only being on the side facing the beak, but not the rear
interestingly the pod itself is capable of casting its gravity feild , producing earth norm in the crashed ship. the docking tube i could also make if im feeling adventurous
i seem to recall seeing some pre cast interior bits for sale somewhere, but i could be wrong, i sometimes have lurid dreams about eagle modelling

Last edited by Mike; 19-10-2007 at 02:40 AM.
Old 19-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
Mike
Astrophysics Technician

http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/...l/spml0037.jpg

this shot has me stumped, im guessing its the thruster end of the the pod , but i cant picture the orientation of the comm console, any suggestions ?
Old 20-10-2007, 01:06 AM   #10
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

I think that's the door to the right (in the "corner") They usually never show the other door in scenes (that's where the camera is) so I think you'll find we are looking towards the front and those monitors are where the lasers normally are... I could be very wrong, what do others think?

Old 20-10-2007, 02:09 AM   #11
CR
Science Officer

It's photgraphed from the aft end of the pod, looking forward toward to command module. The wall in the front of the shot is directly in front of the seats; the portside entry hatch is just off frame at left, between the seats and the wall. (The viewscreen Helena is looking at is built into the short divider in front of the front row of seats... another viewscreen like it is built into the back of the front row of seats.)
The crewman walking along the wall is standing in front of the curved edge where the corridor leading to the CM is... you can just see the series of horizontal lines just behind his spacesuit's metal collar. The other curved wall is mostly obscured by the person behind Helena... look just above that person's Alpha Moonbase shoulder patch and see the horizontla lines on the curved wall. In between those curved walls (and obscured by Helena's head) is the corridor itself, with spacesuits hanging in the racks.
I believe the weapons rack normally is on the starboard side storage area beneath the monitors; the portside storage area shown in this pic always has supplies as shown here. (In "Dragon's Domain," the twin monitors are replaced by a single large viewscreen.)
Hope all this helps!

Last edited by CR; 20-10-2007 at 02:09 AM. Reason: typos
CR is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 02:20 AM   #12
Bishop
Chief Science Officer

Well spotted, so the gun racks are behind the guy (if they're still there) Is there another ep that has the two computer monitor things in it? One gets the feeling that they shoved medical bits into a normal pod to kit out these sets. They certainly need some "beds"
Old 20-10-2007, 02:30 AM   #13
CR
Science Officer

Beds... well, in "Guardian of Piri," there is an exam chair (where Koenig shocks Helena back to reality), but ironically, it's not inside a Rescue Eagle!
The twin monitors were standard fare on most Eagles after "Earthbound," at least on the starboard side. They had replaced the single viewscreen in that location, where in "Breakaway" Koenig received Simmonds' call about the Meta project.
There are tons of photos at The Catacombs showing the forward walls of the Eagle modules. A great place to start (if you don't want to go through each episode's images like I have in the past) is here: http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...eaglepass.html
Enjoy!
Old 20-10-2007, 02:34 AM   #14
CR
Science Officer

Oh, by the way, that shot you linked to (which I over-analysed) is from "Missing Link." In "Earthbound," the double viewscreens were a single large one. http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/m...e/e/spe283.jpg (I was thinking that photo you linked to was from "Earthbound" when I commented about it. OOPS!)
Of course, this brings up the ever-recurring model docks one side to a boarding area, set has characters exiting the opposite side syndrome! D'oh!
Old 22-10-2007, 01:55 AM   #15
Mike
Astrophysics Technician

Thanks CR, that does help
im forming the view that the interior is a standard transporter one in layout with some signage change and a few small details, one assumes if the screen consle is in place the seats prob will be too as the rescue crew will need somewhere to sit, that just leaves things like the trays on the shelf in that shot, basically im now looking for the cosmetic changes that make the rescue pod different from a transporter.
im still going to go the dual moonbuggys if possible as again i envisage them being useful in rescue ops

thanks again to all for the help, ill start the basics soon and post pics as i go

Old 22-10-2007, 03:10 AM   #16
CR
Science Officer

Great!

By the way, have you seen Roberto Baldassari's interior plans? He puts two moon buggies in the forward corners of the pod behind the spacesuit racks and storage/weapons/viewscreen walls. (Granted, he made some changes to fit the set into the model, so it's not official. Plus, I'm uncertain how the buggies get in or out of the pod; fold-down ramps, I presume.) I've posted this link to his site before, but here it is again: http://www.space1999.net/~eagle/ You can see where he placed one of the moonbuggies in the cutaway view at the top of the main page.
Old 22-10-2007, 10:07 PM   #17
Mike
Astrophysics Technician

well ive dug out my old latex molds and the like, as you can see the "floor" already has the jack bays built. i may have to trim the posts, but thats ok since they are extended, ultimatly though they need to be able to tuck back into the bays nce the interior is done.
that brown stuff is latex rubber holding them in place
on my transporter pod one of the bays has a hole accessing the micro switch that lights the cockpit. no such worries on this one

they are great blueprints CR, my ones are the old 1979 starcraft ones and of course external only.

those moonbuggys are becoming an issue for me though, the shot of one in the rear , is obviously more "cannon" than Roberto Baldassari's interior plans, but ill be buggered if i can figure how they got it out of there, even using the wider airfix doors.
and its the same with the plans, the only way can figure they could be deployed from there is if the corrugated side sections are in fact roller doors like on a modern fire truck, assuming the buggy has clearance i can see a "lifeboat" style winch rig working.
i figure if the craft shop will yeild some small black beads for wheels i can shape the body out of balsa and dip it in yellow paint till its glossed up.

Last edited by Mike; 22-10-2007 at 10:10 PM. Reason: insuficiant data
Old 22-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #18
CR
Science Officer

The only thing I could think of for the 'canon' version (buggy stowed in rear compartment) is a floor lift; basically, the floor is a lift that descends to ground level, and the buggy can be driven off.
I don't really like that idea, and it doesn't work anyway, when one considers the cage & engine structures on the bottom of the Eagle.
I do find your suggestion of the corrugated parts a little more realistic than my fold-down ramp idea. The davit/winch idea is neat, too. Might just work!
Old 23-10-2007, 06:32 AM   #19
JMChladek
Eagle Pilot

Thinking about the problem of a lack of bed space, it could be tackled in a couple of ways. The first would be to have some sort of an exam bed that could be folded out from a console area, ala a hideaway bed system. It could be packed in pretty tight behind a cabinet, such as in a caravan (what we Yanks call trailers in the US). The second method could employ the stretcher litter method where bunk stretchers could be attached to link points in the pod interior. But when not used, the attach points would be concealed. That way one could outfit a Rescue Eagle in a convincing ambulance setup without necessarily going against what has already been done.

I could also imagine the rescue pod being customizeable for different missions as well. So at one point you could have the exam chair (the dental chair of death), another time it could be configured for high density wounded crew carriage, and at perhaps another time it could be set up with a more specialized surgical table layout, or perhaps a hybernation chamber.

In the episode "Space Brain", I recall the rescue Eagle being configured more like a recon pod as it contained a jet pack and gear for a spacewalk as opposed to medical treatment hardware. "Collision Course" also didn't seem to reveal any medical gear either as they just brought Alan Carter back to Alpha in the pilot seat of Eagle One, rather then moving him to the rescue pod for initial treatment. So perhaps the emphasis is more on the "Rescue" aspect of the Eagle as opposed to the "Medical" side. So the Rescue Eagle would be kitted out more like say Squad 51 from the old Emergency! TV series. They would do the rescue with it and treat the minor stuff (or stabilize the patient as needed). The medical facility back at Alpha would do the serious treatment work when the Eagle landed.

Last edited by JMChladek; 23-10-2007 at 06:07 PM.
JMChladek is off duty   Bookmark and Share Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 06:45 AM   #20
CR
Science Officer

JM Chladek brings up some good points, as usual.
The idea of swapping parts out for mission specific needs is actually shown a few times during the series, though more often in a standard pod rather than a rescue pod. Obviously, seats can be removed, as they were in "Mission of the Darians" to store extra gear on the pod's starboard side, or in the already mentioned "Guardian of Piri" for the exam chair & electro-shock equipment. The rear seats on both starboard & port sides were removed to store supplies in the escape Eagle from "Black Sun." The recon pod version, with its computer wall along the starboard side, was seen in many episodes, but even that had a variation at times: at least one set of seats on the port side was replaced by a desk in "The Last Sunset" and "Dragon's Domain."
So really, there are a lot of possibilites just with the pod's aft half, leaving the forward spacesuit & equipment racks alone. I'd say you're only limited by your imagination, but I would temper it with configurations that seem believable (real-world believable) as well as not too far off the established look of the series.